Official liveries to be dowloaded from the site

ebabil

I have hundereds of official skins installed that came with the game itself. I don't use most of them. 

ıt would be good the modules come with a single default livery and we would be able to select and donwload desired liveries from the official web site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

18 minutes ago, ebabil said:

I have hundereds of official skins installed that came with the game itself. I don't use most of them. 

ıt would be good the modules come with a single default livery and we would be able to select and donwload desired liveries from the official web site.

If you don't mind me asking and with respect to your wish, but why would you want this? Does this use a lot of storage space? (I never checked).

Personally, I like it that we have a few liveries to choose from, without having to download them first. In fact, for the AI aircraft, I wish we had some more liveries to choose from.

• Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

38 minutes ago, ebabil said:

That would effectively limit MP servers to one skin, or force them to have their clients download specific skins.

In times like these, where SSDs are dirt cheap, there is literally no upside to forcing a limitation like this unto the user.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I'm in favor of this. Like the OP, there are liveries on aircraft that I never use and never see. The CE, Yak-52, F-14A, Sabre, MiG-15, MiG-19, I've never either flown or flown against. I'd only be interested in the Iranian F-14A skins, for the appropriate variant.

SSD are cheap, sure, but that's still no reason to bloat them with unnecessary data that'll never be used. Leave livery packs as an additional installation option in the Module Manger, everyone's happy.

As for MP servers, everyone can use whatever livery they want, but if other people don't care about the aircraft, they also won't care about its livery. I imagine people flying in the Cold War server would install all of the liveries I don't want, for example, so that solves the issue with MP servers.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I don't understand why it can be a problem in MP. Everybody can see his own MP scene. If a player cares about the liveries, then he can install all of them. what i see on my own monitor screen doesn't affect other players' experience. I can see one single livery whereas others can see dozens 

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

A question, since I'm away from my gaming rig and i never looked into it: if i do not have a module, do I have all the related "standard" skins? If do not own the tomcat, do i have all the skins downloaded since the moment the module was released in DCS?

Regards

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

In times like these, where SSDs are dirt cheap, there is literally no upside to forcing a limitation like this unto the user.

Well, not that it affects me, but while space may be cheap, bandwidth might be another matter.

There's skins in CoreMods that are *far* too big for what they are and definitely should be a lot smaller.

I could see why people would gripe about having to dl them, especially if they're on a poor/slow internet connection.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rubberduck85 said:

A question, since I'm away from my gaming rig and i never looked into it: if i do not have a module, do I have all the related "standard" skins? If do not own the tomcat, do i have all the skins downloaded since the moment the module was released in DCS?

Regards

yes it doesn't matter if you have it or not. all official skins are dowloaded 

• Like 1

Youtube

1 hour ago, Buzzles said:

Well, not that it affects me, but while space may be cheap, bandwidth might be another matter.

There's skins in CoreMods that are *far* too big for what they are and definitely should be a lot smaller.

I could see why people would gripe about having to dl them, especially if they're on a poor/slow internet connection.

You download them exactly *once*, unless you reinstall your entire game. Even if I was still on a 10 MBit line or whatever, a new module with, say 5 GB of volume wouldn't take more than 90 minutes.

I mean, yeah, sure, whatever - doesn't affect me, but I'd see a request like this way down the bottom of the developer's timeline.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

yes it doesn't matter if you have it or not. all official skins are dowloaded 
Thank you! I guess it's time for spring cleaning the hard drive from unneeded skins.

+1 on your proposal, makes absolute sense.

Regards

• Like 1

Thank you! I guess it's time for spring cleaning the hard drive from unneeded skins.

+1 on your proposal, makes absolute sense.

Regards

Keep in mind that if you delete extra liveries from CoreMods, every time you update or repair DCS, it'll re-download them.
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

19 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

That would effectively limit MP servers to one skin, or force them to have their clients download specific skins.

No it wouldnt. It would work the same way as it would if others didnt have a custom skin you are using at the moment - revert to the default.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Keep in mind that if you delete extra liveries from CoreMods, every time you update or repair DCS, it'll re-download them.
I have the steam version so I'm not sure about this but I will keep it mind, and and the current rate of update release (which I'm comfortable with), it's ok.

Regards