F-16C Fully opened nozzle on MAX AB

Mudhen1

So, I realized that most F-16s with GE engines irl open a little bit more than our GE engine in DCS, I'll show you guys a comparison between the real life ones vs DCS. Anyways this is a small thing, and it's my opinion, you don't need to comment anything if you don't agree.

Screenshot_17.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.04.06 - 23.58.23.88.png

• Like 1

I have no idea whether in RL or DCS the nozzle open the same amount.

What I do know is that 89-2176 from 421 FS at Hill AFB ( at the time of the photo posted by Mudhen1 ) and 88-0170 (posted By Texac)are both block 40, using the F110-GE-100. DCS is suppose to model the F110-GE-129.

I also know that F110-GE-100 at max AB in the ground, nozzle position should be 50 to 70%. In the Air, max AB nozzle pos is 50 to 95%. F110-GE-129: ground 50 to 70%. air 40 to 70% and both engine at high altitude and low speed should be 30 to 50%

So, if you go to max AB, Nos Pos can be the same or different every time as long as they are within those limits.

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 8

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:38 AM, smire666 said:

Visible at Idle, too. Just try to Idle engine at high speed, than slow down, apply L/G and slow down almost to landing speed. You'll see, the nozzle will open as the speed falls down...

Haha It doesn't work like that, otherwise you would have some issues with the engines or nozzle fully opening for idle at high speed. You can try it yourself in DCS, it doesn't work.

Edited by Mudhen1

I don't have a reference in front of me, but it seems like the nozzle opening should also depend on altitude, Mach, and air temperature. Not solely on the thrust lever setting 

Edited by Machalot
  • Thanks 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

23 hours ago, Mudhen1 said:

Haha It doesn't work like that, otherwise you would have some issues with the engines or nozzle fully opening for idle at high speed. You can try it yourself in DCS, it doesn't work.

Man, try it, first 🤝

On 5/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, Machalot said:

I don't have a reference in front of me, but it seems like the nozzle opening should also depend on altitude, Mach, and air temperature. Not solely on the thrust lever setting 

The reasoning for why the nozzle was opening and not going for a more optimal constricted form that I have heard is that this would cause pressure and more importantly temperatures to climb too high inside the engine.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

53 minutes ago, deadpool said:

The reasoning for why the nozzle was opening and not going for a more optimal constricted form that I have heard is that this would cause pressure and more importantly temperatures to climb too high inside the engine.

Sounds plausible. There are theoretically ideal area ratios for converging-diverging nozzles, but material thermal limits probably constrain the practical nozzle schedule. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 5/7/2021 at 7:07 AM, smire666 said:

Man, try it, first 🤝

Sure I did, awhile ago, even now if you go IDLE at a high speed you won't get the open nozzle, even if it did there would be no AB, it just doesn't make sense for me.

11 hours ago, Mudhen1 said:

Sure I did, awhile ago, even now if you go IDLE at a high speed you won't get the open nozzle, even if it did there would be no AB, it just doesn't make sense for me.

Sry, I´m not sure, we´re talking about the same. If I idle the engine at high speed, nozzle remains closed. As the plane slows down, first then the nozzle begans open. It corresponds to the @deadpool´s post.

The engine is essentially FADEC. If you're very fast and put the handle in idle the engine will still run at MIL until the speed drops a bit. Pilot in F-16 gets a "vote" but he doesn't directly control the airplane.