Quest 2 or rift s with 2700x and gtx1080. Is the quest 2 feasible?

I can go pick up a quest 2 today or order a rift S. 
seems the update helped with vr so I was wondering if a quest 2 would work or should I order the rift s considering the price is the same. 

I have a Rift S (and before that a CV1) i previously ran on a 1070 . It was overall a great experience , but i felt greatly the inability to sharpen the image via DCS pd . For that reason , i question the 1080's ability to handle the Q2's pixel count - although it  should be noted that HP recommends the 1080 as the minimum for the slightly-higher res Reverb .

More to the point in your decision-making process , you should consider your use-case . If you play VR games as well as sims , perhaps the stand-alone capability of the Quest would benefit . 

Another consideration would be your (unspecified) cpu . I understand that the encoding necessary to compress the video for usb-cable transmission adds a significant cpu burden .

Finally , FB  has shown little love for the S since its introduction , reserving all development efforts for the Q and Q2 . In fact , i read just today that S manufacture has discontinued .

If all this sounds ambivalent , it is because i have no dog in your fight , and merely wish to provide such pros and cons as i am aware .  

• Like 1

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

I just recently picked up a Quest 2. I'm happy with it. It's in it's infancy in terms of software but that will evolve.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 20H2 Build 19042.906/Core i7 3770K (not clocked)/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 465.89/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x3)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/Antec 650w PSU

Rosewill Mid Challenger Black/24" Samsung LED Curved/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2

I'm running a Quest 2 and a GTX 1070, 32Go of RAM and  ryzen5 3600

definitely not my dream setup, but it's playable and I will not go back to 2D

In order to run it smoothly you will probably need some modifications.

Here are mine :

- Oculus app on recommended settings (72hz for me)

- installation of modified shaders (see thread in this forum)

- oculus tray tool app running with the following settings : ASW forced @ 30hz / Quest Link on 1070 preset 

next step : play with DCS system/VR settings to your liking, you should obtain a pretty smooth experience

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 6:37 AM, pixie said:

I'm running a Quest 2 and a GTX 1070, 32Go of RAM and  ryzen5 3600

definitely not my dream setup, but it's playable and I will not go back to 2D

In order to run it smoothly you will probably need some modifications.

Here are mine :

- Oculus app on recommended settings (72hz for me)

- installation of modified shaders (see thread in this forum)

- oculus tray tool app running with the following settings : ASW forced @ 30hz / Quest Link on 1070 preset 

next step : play with DCS system/VR settings to your liking, you should obtain a pretty smooth experience

About as accurate as A comment could be. That’s pretty much exactly what the process was and I absolutely love it. 
Mira now(finally) butter smooth.  It was playable before but after the tweaks, I couldn’t ask for a smoother experience. 
between that and the gladiator nxt upgrade at the same time, my experience is literally night and day. I absolutely love it and like u said, I’ll NEVER go back to 2d