Should ED offer printed manuals (for a price)?

The_Chugster

As an old school gamer i did love the older PC games that came in big boxes with chunky manuals like in the Falcon series. I have been buying up a lot of the old games/sims I had in the 90s because of the big boxes and manuals.

Whilst DCS do a great job of crafting their modules I do wish I had some sort of physical product and wondered if anyone else would want physical versions of the module manuals?

Know I know I could get them printed myself but it would be much cheaper if ED bought and sold in bulk.

8 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

Know I know I could get them printed myself

You could do it very cheaply indeed if you simply printed it black and white on regular paper.

8 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

but it would be much cheaper if ED bought and sold in bulk.

Only if it was ACTUALLY bought and sold in book, which it would not be, because 99% of people are going to use the free PDF. Especially considering some stuff is subject to change.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

In the old times software developers use to sold you a finished product. DCS modules are updated quite often, so manuals would be outdated very soon. Nevertheless, I also miss quality printed manuals like Microprose's ones (F19 Stealth Fighter, M1 Tank Platoon, etc.). 

• Like 1

Funny story about printed DCS manuals (at least to me and my brother). When Black Shark was first released, my brother got it, and I went over to his place to check it out. Before starting up the game, we decided it'd be good to print the manual so we didn't have to alt-tab out to check stuff... and we hadn't checked the page count. A couple of paper reloads, beers, and hours later we were like "how big is this friggin manual?!" and realized what we had started. I think he still has it in a big 3-ring binder.

Edited by Monkwolf
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

As an old school gamer ...  I do wish I had some sort of physical product and wondered if anyone else would want physical versions of the module manuals?

At 62 years old, I'm pretty old school too, my first simulator was Sid Meier's "Solo Flight" 🙂

... however, I believe in reducing the worldwide use of paper as much as possible, a PDF manual offers much better searching options than a paper one, weights zero, cost zero, with appropiate software it can be anotated, drawn upon, selected texts can be copied onto your own Notes

... there isn't a single advantage to the paper manuals that I can think of (beyond nostalgia), so No, I wouldn't want a paper manual, as long as there is a good electronic manual provided (that's the biggest failing of the FS2020, which provides zero manuals).

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I usually have the specific manual (DCS or Chucks) loaded and ready on my tablet whilst flying - not an actual book, but no need for alt-tab either...

(I too am an oldschool gamer  - I used to have 12 moving boxes worth of old paperback PC games, the oldest one probably something like Maniac Mansion or Ultima or something like this - but I'm quite happy with the modern times. Less stuff to move around)

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

4 minutes ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

You can print yourself the manuals for the modules you have

Did you even read the OP post?

"Know I know I could get them printed myself but it would be much cheaper if ED bought and sold in bulk."

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

At 62 years old, I'm pretty old school too, my first simulator was Sid Meier's "Solo Flight" 🙂

... however, I believe in reducing the worldwide use of paper as much as possible, a PDF manual offers much better searching options than a paper one, weights zero, cost zero, with appropiate software it can be anotated, drawn upon, selected texts can be copied onto your own Notes

... there isn't a single advantage to the paper manuals that I can think of (beyond nostalgia), so No, I wouldn't want a paper manual, as long as there is a good electronic manual provided (that's the biggest failing of the FS2020, which provides zero manuals).

This!

Also you forgot to mention that digital versions can be updated/corrected.

Don't get me wrong, I do prefer paper books over digital ones. Probably because I grew up with 'em. But this does not count for manuals, where I want to be able to search for keywords

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH