TrackIR, G-Sync, Stutter etc solved

Hi guys,

I know this has been done to death regarding TrackIR stutters etc but I've been having a nightmare with it but I've sorted it. To help anyone out who's having issues, here's what's sorted it for me:-

I was getting stutters, pauses, freezes, you name it. All this whilst FPS was good but locked at 60fps.

8700k @4.8ghz

Strix 1080Ti

32gb RAM

Asus PG278-QR 165hz 1440p monitor G-Sync

TrackIR Pro

Set monitor to 60hz

Turn G-Sync off in the DCS profile in Nvidia Inspector

Turn V-Sync on in Inspector (Fast Sync might be fine too but not tried it yet)

Cap FPS to 60 using RTSS

Also turned V-Sync on in game

Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is pulling their hair out!

• Thanks 3

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

This seems pretty specific, but ok - it may help people with similar specs (e.g. 60Hz Monitor).

A little more general: The TrackIR induced micro-stuttering happens when the polling rate of TIR (60 Hz) conflicts with the picture refresh rate. Usually (! not always obviously) this is made worse by V-Sync*. For my Setup (G-sync) the stuttering occurs when the picture refresh rate exceeds the monitor refresh rate (120 Hz). Capping the refresh rate slightly below 120 Hz did the job for me.

*I guess that may be, when the two refresh rates are just slightly out of sync (e.g. 59.8/60.2 Hz), that would be the worst case for stuttering, but I am really really just guessing here...

Bottom line: one has to try different things revolving around anything, that has to do with refresh rates...

EDIT: perhaps a little far-fetched, but since the polling of TIR translates in camera-movement in the end, which ultimately induces stuttering - playing with the TIR settings for speed and smoothing could potentially effect stuttering...

Edited by Hiob

To be fair it may even be fine if I set the refresh rate of the monitor back to 144hz or even 165hz but definitely turning G-Sync off and switching V-Sync on in game has made a hell of a difference. Also, I can’t notice any difference in game between 60hz and 165hz. It’s still very fluid and smooth.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.