The End of "Rift". The End of an Era.

https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-dead

We all pretty much saw this coming. 

Obviously Oculus is doing quite well with their Quest 2 offering.

Hopefully others will continue to develop more for the higher end PC-VR enthusiast.

I imagine ole Zuck is pleased to mothball the "Rift" name, as that was tied to Palmer Lucky. 

Edited by dburne

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

Love them or hate them, Facebook continues to drive VR forward more than anyone.

"Facebook’s executives believe Quest 2 is on course to become the first “mainstream” VR headset and the company continues to hire at an extraordinary rate. Nearly 20% of Facebook’s employees work on areas related to VR and AR technology, and future Quest headsets are likely to include face tracking technology."

https://uploadvr.com/quest-2-outsells-oculus-headsets-combined/

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

I understand that Quest 2 is the way to go, but I just can not by any means understand the forced Facebook account to use it in basic level.

I would totally understand the Facebook account if you want any social services (3D movie theaters, the Facebook "fantasyland" or what ever it was) other than basic friend list. Like allow to use the Oculus account that you had as offline version and basic friend lists for games basic co-op gameplay (that Oculus offered) and move rest to Facebook so you can play the games but not get the social online services connected. 

I would already have picked up the Quest 2 if Facebook wouldn't be required.

I don't see the end of the Rift S as such bad thing as while it was/is amazing device for the price and quality, it is getting old.

How Facebook has treated Oculus owners, I can't trust the company for support. Be it a cables or a headphone or something else, it is just untrusworthy company for any service. So anything you buy from Facebook needs to be considered as "Once it is broken, throw it away".

I am more sad about Rift CV1 faith than Rift S, as Rift CV1 had so many things great to begin (controllers, audio, strap) and would have required just little extra changes because the inside-out conversion and RGB panels. 

If Eagle Dynamics will add the hand tracking support for Quest 2, it will be challenging to say "NO" and pick it up on that day. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Probably was already posted somewhere, but (from the same resource):

An official Oculus Rift 2 headset was cancelled shortly before it went into production, says Oculus founder and Rift inventor, Palmer Luckey.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-2-cancelled/

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker