What ever happened to the SA-2 missile transporter?

norman99

One of my interests is recreating realistic SAM sites, and in my browsing I stumbled across some photos of a DCS SA-2 missile transporter model.

S-75_Zil-131_2.jpg

This was from an Aprill 2018 newsletter.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter20042018-db94994c1740e9d799ea62b7f07e4d1a.html

I went looking for the model, initially in the mission editor, and then just digging around the DCS files, but couldn't find it. Seems it never made it to release. My question is why? Obviously someone put a lot of time and effort into the model, as it looks fantastic, and it seems sad for that to go to waste. Being a simple transporter, I don't imaging there's really any additional functionality required of it either. (I'm thinking as a static/AI only model, not any Combined Arms functionality.)

Obviously not a high priority in any way shape or form, but the images made me curious non the less. 

Edited by norman99
  • Like 3

+1 .. I’d love to see it added to the Sim, in two versions: with and without a load 👍

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks.

Still, it’s a shame it couldn’t be released as a static model first, until the relevant tech allows for more. Combined with some nice placeable berms/revetment models (desperately needed in my opinion), you’d really be able to fill out a fixed SAM site nicely with this.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 3

I wholeheartedly agree, there are also many other battery components missing from our SAM sites and it only seems to be the Patriot that's really fleshed out.

We're even missing the more commonly associated acquisition and height finding RADARs for the SA-2, that being the P-18 "Spoon Rest D" and the PRV-11 "Side Net" we actually have the latter as a very well done 3D model that's been in DCS for ages, only it's non-functional eye-candy (though is animated in the model viewer) which is placed on the Caucasus map with no control by the player or the ME.

There's also various operator and electronics cabins - though here an OdAZ-828 would suffice as it seems to be a common platform (also for the SA-3 and SA-5). There's also a slightly different trailer for RADARs such as the P-18 and P-19.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, Rudel_chw said:

+1 .. I’d love to see it added to the Sim, in two versions: with and without a load 👍

Maybe they could tie it into reloading and even better the warehouse system, for instance after a set time the missile teleports from the transloader to the launcher, provided the 2 are close enough together. You could then set-up convoys to replenish ammunition - though this maybe makes more sense in a dynamic campaign setting.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting, spelling

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Sa-5 continue on develop, that require more time to build the missile flight model and the guidance system.

About the other stuff missing, has not a priority and need 3d modelers has been available to make all systems.

ED has actually filling holes add new systems (Sa-5, S-60AAA, KS-19 100mm AAA, WW-2 systems) an update old 3D models (Sa-6, Sa-10).

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rubberduck85 said:

Are they really adding soviet-era heavy flak? With fire control radar director?

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was building some SAM sites today and it made me remember the SA-2 missile transporter. Is there any chance the 3D model is still floating around ED internally? If so, could it be released simply as a static model to add immersion to our SAM sites?

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, Northstar98 said:

Maybe they could tie it into reloading and even better the warehouse system, for instance after a set time the missile teleports from the transloader to the launcher, provided the 2 are close enough together. You could then set-up convoys to replenish ammunition - though this maybe makes more sense in a dynamic campaign setting.

I realize this is an old post, but it's still relevant today. I like the idea of fully detailed reloading and such, but as you mentioned, the level of detail might not be desirable everywhere. Something that might be as useful as a detailed reload system is a simplified one that just assumes reloaders are nearby even if not placed in the ME. This can reduce unit counts in large missions and help performance as well as simplify a mission maker's job. I've also come to be a bit bothered by the small radius of ammo vehicle just because they don't move on their own. The radius should perhaps be adjustable, or the trucks should be smart enough to drive to nearby vehicles in need of ammunition that are currently out of the reload radius.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files