Better GAU-8 impact effects.

MRTX

I think almost every DCS A10 pilot knows what i'm talking about, and for those who don't, i mean the 50cm big fire ball with every 30mm impact and the following 3 meter big smoke collum that shoots into the air. To be honest the GAU-8 impacts effects look like they were coming from a 40mm grenade launcher with incendiary ammo, and this sadly goes for most smaller calliber cannon impacts, no matter if HE or AP rounds.

All i want for my GAU-8 impacts is, to lay out a nice carpet of dust and smoke with some nice little flashes from the HE rounds when you use combat mix.

ED this is just a immersion killer and impairs target visibility.

Of course it would help if, instead of assuming that everyone immediately knows what you're talking about regarding a 10 year old module although I personally don't recall any such complaints on this forum within the last 20 or so months, you added a side by side video comparison between what you would expect and what we get instead, or at least some links to videos showing what it is like in DCS vs. reality, and if that was additionally backed up by subject matter expert comments, it would also help understand us, and ED, what it is they should be striving for exactly, so that any change relating to your request does not result in another immersion killer.

Hog pilots say that each round is roughly equivalent to a hand grenade so.....I don't see the problem with "40mm grenade launcher" impacts....

TGP footage from Afghanistan also shows the GAU-8 making a mess of the air with huge clouds of dust that are much larger than what we even have now. 

Edited by Nealius

We need lots more dust kicking up and lingering longer to look more realistic... Well, at least in arid areas.

https://youtu.be/qiHpYZen-oY

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

...and that's what it looks like with a building.

https://youtu.be/Iy9VPTWyLh0

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 4/7/2021 at 6:10 PM, Orsi said:

The dusty cloud depends from the local soil

What I said:"at least in arid areas"

...and there is a video around showing A-10C gun practice on a range in the US with muddy ground and a little snow, that shows an astonishing amount of dirt/smoke, still.

At least the currently modeled "smoke and dust" is by no means exaggerated. The explosion effects of the HE rounds look quite realistic, as well. 

Shagrat

That's the one... Close up of impact at 0:55 min.

And that's not HE, it seems.

https://youtu.be/BJMdVIyf4Oo

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat