Dive angles and unguided bombing

foxonefoxtwo

Hi guys

Been flying the MiG-21 and working on fine tuning my bombing skills but for some reason I feel, I need to have a very very steep angle or be ridiculously low before the pipper starts to move up on my 'HUD'. This often results in an over-G situation during the pull up. Not sure what I need to do better but it almost seems like incorrect technique. Also, Is there  away to drop bombs in level flight and know where they will impact?

Thanks for the help.

Hi! There's an old thread full of tables for manual bombing right here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/189729-level-bombing-chart/

Some of the charts can be tricky to decipher. Frederf's first post has charts for level bombing. His second post is dive bombing. After this Frischi has a chart for guns and rockets, followed by charts for parachute bombs of 250 then 500kg.

Note that the old ASP in the MiG could depress the pipper to 6.5°, but the new one goes to 11. Multiply values in the charts by 1.7 to get corrected values.

21 hours ago, corn322 said:

Hi! There's an old thread full of tables for manual bombing right here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/189729-level-bombing-chart/

Some of the charts can be tricky to decipher. Frederf's first post has charts for level bombing. His second post is dive bombing. After this Frischi has a chart for guns and rockets, followed by charts for parachute bombs of 250 then 500kg.

Note that the old ASP in the MiG could depress the pipper to 6.5°, but the new one goes to 11. Multiply values in the charts by 1.7 to get corrected values.

Will have to spend some time understanding those tables and then some more trying to fly the profile well. But thats something to work toward! Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit of an oddity. The "ANGLE" scale goes to a numerical value of 11 but the pipper does not go to 11 degrees. Instead the scale appears to be tens of milliradians and not degrees as before. This means "10" is 100 milliradian, not 10°. As such the 113mr value would be 11.3 on the current DCS angle scale which is impossible.  It is possible to set the pipper radius to 23mr and then put pipper center on 90mr for a total of 90+23=113mr for the "bottom diamond."