Operation Desert Thunder Campaign for the JF-17 Thunder

JonathanRL

Operation Desert Thunder

The year is 2017. Tensions have been brewing between the Republic of Hormuz and the Free State of Bastak for several years regarding natural gas deposits found off the island of Qesm. So far, any attempt by the international community to mediate the dispute has been rebuffed by both parties who claim the Island as their own; Hormuz because it is within their borders and Bastak due to the many of Bastak heritage who live on the Island.

Sponsored by the Russian Federation and People's Republic of China, Kuban Security has been enlisted to bolster the air force of Hormuz with their JF-17 Thunders. It is hoped that this move will stabilize the situation and calm the ambitions of both the Free State of Bastak and the local insurrection by the Prophets Faithful.

You are THUNDER LEAD, a veteran flight leader in Kuban Security. You and your colleagues are now the Hormuz only modern air force assets and the nations last defence against the forces that seek to disrupt peace and balance in the region.

Key Features:

• Fly the JF-17 Thunder over the Persian Gulf as part of the PMC Kuban Security and their deployment to boost the air force of the Russian Federation ally of Hormuz.

• Perform ten missions such as combat air patrol, close air support, low level attack and deployment of precision munitions against a large variety of targets.

• Aid your allies against both a local insurgency and the unknown agenda of the western-alligned state of Bastak and their F-16C Vipers!

• Fly together with a friend in the additional Co-Op Campaign!

Download link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315773/

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 7

signature.png

Thanks a lot for this 👍 I have enjoyed your previous Campaigns a lot, looking forward to flying this one too 🙂

Edit: Currently I'm not flying the JF-17 because of other small projects, but I hope to be able to fly her again soon. Of all the different installations that you propose, I elected to place the Campaign alongside the official one (which I haven't played let), and I understand that I will have to re-place it there after any DCS update, but I found that it just looks better:

GviOQwp.jpg

👍

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If you chose to put it under the JF-17 Tab, you will not need to replace it after every update. It may however create errors for users of the Steam version as their software considers it to be unlicensed DLC. But I agree it looks better. I am kinda hopeful that the Campaign manager will be updated so Campaigns will be sorted by Aircraft even if they are third party.

• Like 3

signature.png

I believe@Rudel_chw meant that he put it under the installation folder, and not in Saved Games. And then when DCS updates, it will be wiped out. I also agree it looks much better when it's correctly under each aircraft, so I use a mod manager for all campaigns and single missions I like.
Unless I'm mistaken and do something wrong, I hope ED will change this in the future, so we can place all user content under Saved Games, and it will be displayed per airframe.
(I'm not using Steam).
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had Operation Black Bear in the installation folder since I made it. It has never been removed or changed with patches.

That would only affect files the DCS Updater is updating, removing or replacing. Any other files are untouched. The only downside is the above mentioned problems with Steam installations where Steam is wondering why you have DLC they cannot find in their store. 

Edited by JonathanRL
  • Like 2

signature.png

You are probably right now that I think of it. But I'm used to repair a lot for various reasons. I'm gonna try it again, because I haven't repaired in a while, and sort of solved the culprit.
But I do wish we could put every usermade content in the Saved Games folder, the way some mods are going now, and that would solve the Steam issue as well!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• uboats pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

The Campaign has been updated to 2.7 Standard. DCS World 2.7 is now a requirement to fly this Campaign.

This morning (16th of April 2021) I updated the Campaign to 2.7.1 - taking advantage of new triggers, your aim now needs to be true on mission 9.
Very happy that Eagle Dynamics allowed us to have different shapes on zones; been a long time coming.

Edited by JonathanRL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

signature.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a lot of fun with 'Operation Black Bear' and now with 'Operation Desert Thunder' too. Thanks for creating and share great campaigns!

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

• 9 months later...

Just finished:  a really nice work, as I was expecting!

A couple of minor issues I found:

Spoiler

Mission 8: the message about "enemy units advancing, allied units using smoke to mark their position" (sort off) is a little "misleading". Yes, in my first attempt I have destroyed 4 allied tanks before realizing that 😅

Mission 9: the message about enemy Vipers being scrambled is played at the mission begin.

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JonathanRL said:

Desert Thunder updated to 2.7.2

👍 thanks a lot for keeping your Campaigns current, I’m not currently flying the JF-17 but whenever I return to it in the future, I will re-fly your Campaigns for sure 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 10 months later...

I'm enjoying the campaign but am unable to get a Mission Complete on Mission 7 (Battle of Qeshm). Peeking into the mission file it appears that there needs to be a hit on the Oliver Hazzard Perry class frigate BNS Bandar Lengeh. I'm only given air to air weapons so this must come from the flight of Fencers who target that ship. They launch their X-31A anti-ship missiles from below 700 ft ASL. The missiles fall into the sea and are destroyed soon after launch (according to Tacview) and never get close to their target. So the mission goal is never met. Is this perhaps a DCS bug? Is there a workaround (other than skipping the mission)?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

On 5/1/2023 at 3:13 AM, sthompson said:

I'm enjoying the campaign but am unable to get a Mission Complete on Mission 7 (Battle of Qeshm). Peeking into the mission file it appears that there needs to be a hit on the Oliver Hazzard Perry class frigate BNS Bandar Lengeh. I'm only given air to air weapons so this must come from the flight of Fencers who target that ship. They launch their X-31A anti-ship missiles from below 700 ft ASL. The missiles fall into the sea and are destroyed soon after launch (according to Tacview) and never get close to their target. So the mission goal is never met. Is this perhaps a DCS bug? Is there a workaround (other than skipping the mission)?

There is no workaround but skipping the mission do not make you miss any story.
I will look into it and reports regarding mission 9 that also has some Fencer issues and hopefully get a update out this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

signature.png

Well that was easy. Somewhere between me making this and today, launch altitude for the ASMs the SU-24s are using were altered.

SU 24 Fencer Pilots in Mission 7 and 9 has been whacked over the head with a newspaper and told to fly at an appropriate level to release their ASMs, thereby fixing both missions.

Patch applied and online: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315773/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

signature.png

On 5/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, JonathanRL said:

Well that was easy. Somewhere between me making this and today, launch altitude for the ASMs the SU-24s are using were altered.

SU 24 Fencer Pilots in Mission 7 and 9 has been whacked over the head with a newspaper and told to fly at an appropriate level to release their ASMs, thereby fixing both missions.

Patch applied and online: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315773/

Thanks for the quick fix. I flew Missions 7-10 yesterday and today to finish the campaign. They worked perfectly. The campaign is very well done!

• Like 3

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• 8 months later...