Sound cards/speakers....any recommendations for DCS?

I would imagine since most people play DCS with headphones or some sort of VR headset that sound is not a huge deal. But what if I'm planning on;

1) a lot of single player/training time?

2) use the PC for streaming TV, etc.?

3) playing music while I do other stuff?

Any recommendations? It's been awhile since I've looked at this stuff, a lot has changed. Last time I put a sound card in anything it was a Sound Blaster Audigy, and I had the usual desk speakers. 

Edited by Allentc2

Eh, having seen with and without... tbh my opinion is, unless your motherboard is a really cheap one lacking decent onboard, you don't really need a soundcard these days. Audio isn't like graphics, it doesn't really change, and the onboard audio on a good motherboard is pretty much as good as any dedicated sound unit.

The speakers are where you'll get most your benefit. Cheap tinny speakers won't sound as good as better quality ones. That said, it also depends on your personal preferences. I used to have a 5.1 surround system, and it was cool and all, but a pain in the ass to set up with wires everywhere etc etc. I ended up buying a decent sound bar with dedicated subwoofer for like $200 and it's vastly easier to setup and sounds good enough for me.

Basically, unless you're a freakishly obsessive audiophile, this isn't a big deal, you can skip the soundcard outright and just buy a sound system you feel is appropriate and forget about it.

Last point, regarding surround sound and the main box you have... those things are ridiculously overpriced and extremely dated in their whole design philosophy. There's no reason whatsoever to have 90% of the crap they have on it, and definitely no reason to be so big. But smaller ones are inversely MORE expensive because they're ''special''. Bah. That whole experience was enough to put me off the stuff altogether.

Most audio systems are a lot like the incandescent bulbs that are still in use over 120 years later : they're crap, grossly inefficient, and there are infinite better options, but they continue to be used out of laziness and lack of impetus to change. The incandescent light bulb is finally being replaced, and hopefully the junk audio ''system'' in use the last few decades will soon join it on the trash bin of history @@

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I wouldn't go the sound card route. I get good sound from running a line out from the PC into an integrated DAC/Amp, which powers bookshelf speakers and has a line out to a subwoofer under the desk. This will give you good quality music/TV. These DAC/Amps also have headphone jacks so you can use headphones or earphones when you prefer.

4/7 EDIT: Here's the DAC/Amp I use as an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-AI-101DA-Integrated-DAC-Amp-for-Speakers-Headphones-Bluetooth-w-aptX/114753113402?hash=item1ab7d18d3a:g:F9AAAOSw7olgWueW

Edited by Patersonski
  • Like 1

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Unless you're into music editing, there is no point getting a sound card, the quality of the integrated sound cards on actual motherboards is far enough to provide you with good experience in gaming.

I fully agree with Patersonski there, a good sound system with a boomer, small and medium speakers will be a lot more efficient and you will save the money...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I agree to all above. This is one of the few corners that you can cut and save money, wires and hassle.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yep after building this Z390 system I said goodbye to sound cards.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 4/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, Allentc2 said:

Any recommendations? 

The built in sound circuit of modern motherboards is more than enough for almost any application, that's why sound cards are almost extinct. Invest 100% of the budget on the best speakers you can afford .. on the long rung they turn out to be quite economical as thay can last a long time. Mine are from 2005 and still sound perfect to my ears, will replace them only if they ever fail:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/logitech-z-5500-review/

🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

With average headphones you probably won't notice any difference.  

However, with a nice set of cans (I use Kingston HyperX Cloud) there's a huge improvement using the Sound Blaster Z over integrated motherboard sound.  Especially if you combine with the Buttkicker.   ;)

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:11 PM, Mango said:

With average headphones you probably won't notice any difference.  

However, with a nice set of cans (I use Kingston HyperX Cloud) there's a huge improvement using the Sound Blaster Z over integrated motherboard sound.  Especially if you combine with the Buttkicker.  😉

Sure, that is true as well. With my intermediate MSI M9 Z170 board I had a premium onboard sound solution and it sounded better, but for DCS or any other engine & bitching Betty sound based game it really doesn't matter much.

It's a very personal thing too, which changes as times goes by. I used to have a 10k+ HiFi with Pre-Amp, double Power Amps for Hi+Mids and Bass..and these days I use a 10€ BT Mono Speaker on the table when we play cards, with the same guys that I sat together and listened to my old HighEnd Stereo, actually we talked about it and all said..what a waste of money that was, but we were young, testosterone driven etc...  Pick you place on this time line and don't go overboard with the expense...LoL...if testosterone doesn't carry you away.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

28 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

Well....using VR, I'm kinda stuck with the speakers in the HMD, right?

I removed the ear pieces of my Oculus Rift and use it with a better quality headphone placed over it.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I use headphones for DCS's cockpit audio (warning sounds, voice from ATC, wingmen communications etc) and Voice Chat in multiplayer, and my normal 5.1 speaker setup (logitech Z5500 which is almost 20 years old by now) for the other sounds (engine etc).
For DCS I agree onboard sound is good enough. For other games however (and music obviously), there still is a huge difference between onboard sound and a proper dedicated soundcard, especially in the range of the human voice. Some onboard sound chips come with decent enough software that rivals the software that comes with dedicated sound cards, which mitigates a part of the difference.

Perhaps I'm weird, but to my ears the difference in audio quality is VERY obvious.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 4/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, Allentc2 said:

Well....using VR, I'm kinda stuck with the speakers in the HMD, right?

Nope, first thing that happened after I got the Oculus software running was disabling the crap onboard speakers. I have a wireless Steelseries headset I use for that 😃 Much better

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2