ILS only works on 3 airbases in the UAE

BlackFoxNZ

the ILS in the A-10C II only fully works at the following 3 airbases in the UAE ( Dubai Intl, Fujairah Intl and Kasab ) and doesn't work at every airbase that has a ILS active.

other A-10C II players i fly with have also comfirmed this to be the case on both single player and multiplayer

6 hours ago, BlackFoxNZ said:

the ILS in the A-10C II only fully works at the following 3 airbases in the UAE ( Dubai Intl, Fujairah Intl and Kasab )

The A-10C's ILS also works at Al Minhad, RWY 27 (with zero wind).

4q8uL3X.jpg

Before saying an ILS doesn't work for a particular RWY/airport with certainty, you'll need to test with a headwind of at least 6 knots to ensure ATC makes both RWY and ILS active for that direction.

I agree that not all ILS appear to work on the PG map as intended, however it is a map/DCS 2.5.x issue rather than purely effecting the A-10C II.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.6.61527

Edited by Ramsay
typo
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The main flaw seems to be the… ehrm… creative, let's say, interpretation of “as intended” that you need to get your head around as far as the ATC and ILS logic goes. They all seem to work “as intended”, but the intention itself is pretty daft…

It's all based on wind rather than things like visibility or time of day, or availability of runways, or any of the more sensible considerations that would go into picking what is active and what isn't. You can make them all work, but the conditions for doing so are sometimes a bit extreme and the ATC's preference for what runways should be used can require absurdly  precise and/or heavily exaggerated wind conditions.

For instance, there's one specific runway on the Syria map that pretty much requires you to set a wind direction within a 3° band, and it needs to be at least 10, preferably 20+, knots to make the ATC pick it over any of the others (as a bonus feature, this wind pattern makes all other runways on the entire map horrible to land at, and if you don't the affected airport will direct AI planes to do their approach right into a bunch of tall buildings 🤣).

But yes, as Ramsay says, this is a larger general flaw with DCS ATC logic and how it relates to weather — it's rarely a map or module issue (aside from the aforementioned buildings that block the default runway).

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

The ILS actually works at some airbases? I had thought that it had been completely broken, because it never worked whenever I tried to use it. Last I checked (probably 9 months ago), it didn't even work in the tutorial mission...

• Like 1