Surprised it's not already posted here in the Community News forum, so here it is....
(thanks to @Silver_Dragon for posting on his news topic)

Edited by DigitalEngine
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

Yea good interview!!

Looking forward to the Mystery Bus!

I mean Mystery Choppah!

UH-60L Black Hawk?

CH-47 Chinook? 

I don't have any clues at all, but one of those is my guess! It could also be the Cobra that had been discussed in previous years, but I don't believe ED even decided on which specific variant of Cobra that they were looking to make, but I think they were considering a 1980's US Army version, with the flat armored glass, TOW tubes and 3 barrelled 20mm gatling, which I believe is the most exported variants of Cobras.

• Like 1

Amazing interview, thank you so much Casmo and Wags for the time discussing what is going on behind the scenes in DCS. I have all the helo modules but the release of the hind (very excited for its release, quirks and all) will put most of them on the shelf for some time.

The dynamic campaign sounds like it's coming along nicely and the new Mariana Islands sounds like a great addition to the DCS franchise (the lush jungle like environment will be a nice addition and change to our drier terrains 😀 ).

The year of the helicopter is here!273430.jpg

• Like 1

I think they underestimated the interest of armor/combined arms for DCS...it VERY MUCH is wanted...BUT more in a steelbeast context than an ARMA one.

• Like 6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz CPU , ATI RX 560 4 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win7 64bit.

Talks about the Dynamic campaign never touched on something i've had on my mind for a while and always hoped would be discussed/answered. And that would be the integration or use of combined arms whithin the dynamic campaign. 

So far from what i've heard over the interviews etc was that the dynamic campaign would somewhat adapt to the users possessed modules which makes sense, if missions are created with aircraft you do not possess as the dynamic campaign moves on, well it's kinda pointless for the player to sit there and watch it as a spectator.

So my question would be : For people possessing the combined arms module, will that module be put forward/used the same interesting way the Hind module or A-10 would be for example ?

The way i'm seeing it is that the Dynamic campaign will automatically generate missions based on the current situation regarding objectives for victory, and you as a player can either accept them and fly the mission or leave it on the side and create your own specific sorties with what ever ressources (Planes, Helis etc) available. This is where combined arms comes in very handy, if you somehow loose all your flyable assets and ain't getting spare ones soon yet you have a good amount of ground units ready to be used, will the dynamic campaign generate a mission using the combined arms module ? Or if you as the player decide to rather move a tank column as commander or even manually controlling the lead towards a chosen objective, that to me sounds like added fun for sure !

(And that's not mentionning the fact that the dynamic campaign is planned to be playable in multiplayer, therefore clearly allowing for very interesting possibilities with player controlled grounds units working together with air assets)

I'm just hoping they've thought of it and will allow Combined arms to have an interest for players to use it in the dynamic campaign.

• Like 1

Nice.  In the comments, Wags says BS3 is still being developed with new systems.  Hopefully Iglas, since the shkval is still wonky.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 4/2/2021 at 7:29 PM, Rick50 said:

Yea good interview!!

Looking forward to the Mystery Bus!

I mean Mystery Choppah!

UH-60L Black Hawk?

CH-47 Chinook? 

I don't have any clues at all, but one of those is my guess! It could also be the Cobra that had been discussed in previous years, but I don't believe ED even decided on which specific variant of Cobra that they were looking to make, but I think they were considering a 1980's US Army version, with the flat armored glass, TOW tubes and 3 barrelled 20mm gatling, which I believe is the most exported variants of Cobras.

I'd strongly suspect it of being the Cobra - given the previous plans and research they've accumulated. I also wonder if a Eurocopter or a UH-1 upgrade with a more modern variant is entirely out of the question.

I'm personally hoping for the PZL/Mil Mi-2... now that we have the Mi-8 and Mi-24 the next most produced Soviet helicopter is the Mi-2. It is also the closest thing that Soviet Union had to a counterpart for the Gazelle and the Kiowa... It'd be nice to have a lighter helicopter for each major power-block.

• Like 1

Since we already are getting 2007 Apache longbow to scratch the modern attack helo itch, an eventual Cobra being an 80s-90s F or W would be my preference by far, which would make a great pair of sorts with/against Mi-24P.

Mi-2 would be cool too, but I don't think ED would do it. I think they'll prefer something that is more likely to sell. I would enjoy it myself.

Blackhawk of any vintage would be cool too, I'd be fine with that one being a more modern rendition.

Chinook would be something rather unique indeed.

Happy to hear more helicopters are under work anyway 🙂

• Like 1

Modules:

MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA, Spitifre IX

Mods:

A-4E, MB-339, Edge 540

Utility modules:

Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS

My vote would be for the Black Hawk, without any doubt. It provides the greatest variety of them all in addition to being an icon. They could ultimately end up with a whole bunch of the various versions from a typical UH-60 through to Pave Hawks, Seahawks and potentially the MH60L DAP and all the weaponry that can come with.

A nice fast rope animation would be fairly awesome too!

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

On 4/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, Raven434th said:

I think they underestimated the interest of armor/combined arms for DCS...it VERY MUCH is wanted...BUT more in a steelbeast context than an ARMA one.

I think the issue lies much more with execution than demand. Demand is high, and I purchased it a couple of years ago. BUT - CA is deep, deep into amateur territory wrt realism, usability and quality. Witness the 170 mph downhill rolling Leo II that is being stopped dead in its tracks by a slender 5 inch birch tree. The non-standard way of choosing a unit. VR (non-) support. It's simply not up to ED's high standards and should be pulled (like the Hawk) until it can stand proud with the rest of their offerings.

oh, and ObJoke: 

During the interview I kept reaching for the keyboard in anticipation of 'press spacebar to continue'

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the Track of the blades in the video of the hind flying while looking out the front window, it is blade high and then blade low, I am surprised to see this in a aircraft so old, Sikorsky was recommending this same blade track setup for CH-53E's when performing heavy lifting, before I retired back in 92. We use to make sure we had a completely flat track as smooth as possible cause it made for less vibration and a smoother ride. The high and low blade track supposedly cause each blade to cut clean air and so increase rotor blade efficiency and aircraft lifting capability but at the cost of increased vibration, I did not expect it on this era vintage helicopter.

Edited by tusler

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

On 4/10/2021 at 7:58 AM, cfrag said:

I think the issue lies much more with execution than demand. Demand is high, and I purchased it a couple of years ago. BUT - CA is deep, deep into amateur territory wrt realism, usability and quality. Witness the 170 mph downhill rolling Leo II that is being stopped dead in its tracks by a slender 5 inch birch tree. The non-standard way of choosing a unit. VR (non-) support. It's simply not up to ED's high standards and should be pulled (like the Hawk) until it can stand proud with the rest of their offerings.

oh, and ObJoke: 

During the interview I kept reaching for the keyboard in anticipation of 'press spacebar to continue'

I was referring too combined arms by definition not "CA DCS module" terms. So tanks/pc's with proper fire control systems  and interiors on the same level as DCS aircraft...with a proper micro terrain(height , lowlands,hull down positions etc etc)...is what I meant.Which I might add, is exactly what wags and the team have in mind for long term.IMO.

Edited by Raven434th

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz CPU , ATI RX 560 4 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win7 64bit.