Custom Maps

Preador

Since there is an option in the settings to change between the DCS raster charts and the Ka-50 style charts, is there a way to mod a custom map layer type? In VR it is very hard to see contacts on both types of maps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

31 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Yes please, both of the available maps are terrible. 

It's not that they're terrible per se. The raster map is the exact same as the Hornet and Harrier.

The problem is Deka haven't adjusted the brightness and contrast of the map since DCS 2.5.6 came out. Nor have they tweaked how the BRT and CONT buttons affect the image on the MFD. (Contrast button also affects brightness and Brightness affects contrast. That shouldn't be the case, and it isn't on the F18C or AV8B.)

With the imminent release of 2.7, which I assume will have extra lighting tweaks, Deka may hold off on updating the way it looks.

3 hours ago, J20Stronk said:

It's not that they're terrible per se. The raster map is the exact same as the Hornet and Harrier.

The problem is Deka haven't adjusted the brightness and contrast of the map since DCS 2.5.6 came out. Nor have they tweaked how the BRT and CONT buttons affect the image on the MFD. (Contrast button also affects brightness and Brightness affects contrast. That shouldn't be the case, and it isn't on the F18C or AV8B.)

With the imminent release of 2.7, which I assume will have extra lighting tweaks, Deka may hold off on updating the way it looks.

Usually we're on the same page, but I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. The KA-50/F10 map is the superior of all available maps in DCS; all other maps suffer from the same problem: they dont scale when zoomed in, so you get the same 250,000:1 map, but blurry. When zooming on the HSD it should move to a finer detail map, whether that's correct for the aircraft, I don't know, but accurate maps have been a pillar of warfare for hundreds of years and the lack of usable detail has always been something that ticks me off. 

While we're on it, most modern aircraft can be loaded with drawings on their map (like the KA-50) to designate corridors, sectors, etc.. The KA-50 has this ability in game, so it's already been done; but no other developers have touched the idea. *wink wink nudge nudge*