P-38 Lightning

phantom0gritz

I personally would love to have this aircraft as full module as it is my favorite WWII aircraft. However, I will not accept(😉) a Pacific Theater without them as at least AI assets.  Appreciate all the hard work ED and I am greatly looking forward to this becoming a thing.

• Like 13

On 4/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, phantom0gritz said:

I personally would love to have this aircraft as full module as it is my favorite WWII aircraft. However, I will not accept(😉) a Pacific Theater without them as at least AI assets.  Appreciate all the hard work ED and I am greatly looking forward to this becoming a thing.

I second this.  Was forced to buy that "other flight sim" just to fly some semblance of a P-38. But it just ain't the same!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, phantom0gritz said:

My thoughts as well. What is the use of a Pacific theater without the appropriate WWII aircraft and the carriers of that era.

For me, 'build it and they will come,' does not work in this instance.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

The F6F was used by the FAA in Europe, maybe not in huge numbers but it was there. It’s not outrageously unhistorical to have an FAA F6F mixing it with 109s and 190s. 

Nor an F4U for that matter 👍  And while we're at it, US Navy F6F's flew off several CVE's in the Med in support of the invasion of southern France......and I believe that they managed to bag a couple of JU-88's or He-111's. There was no Luftwaffe fighter opposition.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Not sure why the P-38 would be overly complex compared to other modules...

The only feature not modelled elsewhere are the counter rotating props / engines.  

The Allison engines aren’t in-game, but can’t see that they’d be fundamentally different to the Merlin, Jumo or DB605...  various flavours of turbo supercharging are already implemented

Twin engine prop is in game as is tricycle undercarriage prop 

👍

• Like 1

I’m sure the P38 is on the list, and quite high up. There’s plenty of data available I’d assume and there are many complete surviving airframes. There are several flying examples. 

It’s certain to cause a bit of a stir and a lot of people will buy it just out of interest. As a complex aircraft maybe ED would want to make it internally though? 

I, for one, want the P-38 very badly.  It would be a VERY welcome addition for the Pacific theatre.   In fact, I purchased a particular other sim just to fly its P-38 and nothing else it has to offer.  It couldn't be more complex than the Mosquito that DCS is currently working on IMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

Mosquito every time 😍 and it’s very suited to the WW2 maps we have. 

The P38 is an interesting plane though.

I think the Mossie was an exceedingly poor choice to model from a business standpoint. Neat airplane but very limited utility in anything except a few single player missions. 

The P-38 would have been a much better business decision. And the likely poor sales performance of the Mossie may put ED off twin engine props and maybe off WWII altogether. 

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

4 hours ago, pmiceli said:

I think the Mossie was an exceedingly poor choice to model from a business standpoint. Neat airplane but very limited utility in anything except a few single player missions. 

The P-38 would have been a much better business decision. And the likely poor sales performance of the Mossie may put ED off twin engine props and maybe off WWII altogether. 

ha! The mossie will sell just fine. While i think the dedicated bomber would be better than the fighter its not going to hurt future twin engine sales. And will definitely not hurt WWII development. You post sounds like someone who is upset resources went to a project that isn't YOUR favorite. Neither the mossie or the P-38 were on my wishlist, but I'd buy both.

7 hours ago, pmiceli said:

Really...???!!!  😮

Quite shocked and surprised at that view - always thought of the Mosquito as one of the iconic aircraft of WW2, and certainly in the top 3 amongst the British aircraft. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Quite shocked and surprised at that view - always thought of the Mosquito as one of the iconic aircraft of WW2, and certainly in the top 3 amongst the British aircraft. 

We are each entitled to our opinion on this, but the Mosquito is not featured in a lot of WWII movies I have seen, or games I've played, in any prominent way (like the CFS series from MS back in the day). I am not particularly knowledgeable in WWII airplanes, and I had never heard of the Mosquito prior to ED saying they were making it. I have heard about the Spitfire, the Hurricane, the Typhoon and the Tempest, all of which I would rate as more "iconic" for British WW2 aircraft based on my own, personal, knowledge and experience. This is just my personal opinion based on my own limited knowledge of WWII, I just wanted to point out that, for someone who isn't british or especially a fan of everything WW2, the Mosquito might fly under the radar - pun intended. I know this can be surprising given it was around for a while and was produced in large numbers, and honestly I am surprised I hadn't heard about it sooner.

Not to say I won't buy it, it's the first twin engine prop in the sim, I'll probably give it a go, it looks like fun. But everyone knows the P-38 Lightning, it has a unique shape, it flew all over the world and for a long time. Though I don't see why we cannot have one and the other, once the Mossie is out, ED will need a new project and seeing as they are looking at the Pacific Theater, it would also make a lot of sense.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

In the UK I’d say it’d probably come close fourth with the Lancaster in a list of iconic household name aircraft. Spitfire, Sopwith Camel, Lancaster, Mosquito, Hurricane.

It’s one of those rare household name aircraft. The only non UK type I’d add to the list would be the B17, referred to in the UK by the Flying Fortress moniker.

• Like 2

Agree with Mogster...

Certainly for my generation, I’d say the relevant “top 3” British aircraft from WW2 would have been:

Spitfire

Mosquito

Lancaster

I think that had probably changed since the dreadful fatal crash of the last airworthy British Mossie in 1996...

The lack of an airshow performer has probably caused the Mossie to fade from public consciousness, whereas the BBMF Spitfires, Lancaster and Hurricanes continue to entertain.  

Hurricane was always the Cinderella aircraft - not sufficiently recognised

Mossie was regarded on a par with the Spitfire when I was growing up - faster, sleeker, known for outstandingly daring raids

@Qiou87 I suggest you find a copy of the film “633 Squadron”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Agree with Mogster...

Certainly for my generation, I’d say the relevant “top 3” British aircraft from WW2 would have been:

Spitfire

Mosquito

Lancaster

I think that had probably changed since the dreadful fatal crash of the last airworthy British Mossie in 1996...

The lack of an airshow performer has probably caused the Mossie to fade from public consciousness, whereas the BBMF Spitfires, Lancaster and Hurricanes continue to entertain.  

Hurricane was always the Cinderella aircraft - not sufficiently recognised

Mossie was regarded on a par with the Spitfire when I was growing up - faster, sleeker, known for outstandingly daring raids

@Qiou87 I suggest you find a copy of the film “633 Squadron”

I drive past Barton most days and the RR299 crash still makes my heart heavy. The aircraft was due to be donated to the RAF BOB flight at the end of the 1996 display season so it’s future was secure. The left engine quit at exactly the wrong time due to a Merlin carb settings quirk which led to the tragic loss of the crew and aircraft.The AAIB report makes interesting reading.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/542301dce5274a1317000b69/dft_avsafety_pdf_501355.pdf

I know this is somewhat off-topic but since we are discussing iconic ww2 planes we would like DCS to model, HOW ABOUT THE GREAT B17!!!

The very thought of the multicrew potential almost brings tears to my eyes 😍

Just watched a video about the Battle of Midway and their role in attacking the Japanese carriers.

2 hours ago, MADLOU1 said:

I know this is somewhat off-topic but since we are discussing iconic ww2 planes we would like DCS to model, HOW ABOUT THE GREAT B17!!!

The very thought of the multicrew potential almost brings tears to my eyes 😍

Just watched a video about the Battle of Midway and their role in attacking the Japanese carriers.

• Like 1