The Huey Tourey - Ranking Maps by Beauty

cfrag

After countless hours of pounding action behind the stick of fast movers like Hornet, Falcon and Flanker I have discovered a completely new form of flying: Helicopters. Not that I'm particularly good at it, but after simply rushing over the terrain to attack my next target, I have now come to appreciate moving slow and deliberately. And I have also discovered a near Zen-like tranquility by simply flying, without engaging a single enemy - and simply admiring the view.

Granted, not all maps are created equally in this regard, and so I have decided, based on purely personal taste to rank my maps by their attractiveness from a sightseeing standpoint - and to solicit additional locations I should visit.

I ranked my maps simply by their beauty and touristic attractivenes and came up with this: 

• NTTR
    Bah. Once you visited the Strip and Hoover Dam, you've pretty much seen it all. Nothing tranquil about dust and Dairy Queens.

• SOH
    One step up from Nevada, with some interesting details, this map is still heartless, dry and empty. It makes for some great tactical encounters, but once you take out the adrenaline, I discovered that there is no heart left. Dubai and all the other cities simply are grids over grids. 

• Caucaus
    Initially, I thought that this map would score dead last - but its rolling hills, multiple seasons and sheer variety still make it interesting to explore. Following a meandering river up to it's source is fun, and even if it's an old map I believe I can still feel the love that went into creating it

• The Cannel
    A complete surprise to me just how wonderful and peaceful a slow flight along the cliffs or across Minster can be. It makes sense, as this map was created for slower-flying warbirds, but I sat slack-jawed I decided to land next to a factory Noyelles-sur-Mer only to count the buttercups that dotted the grass across the yard where the asphalt ended.

• Syria
    Ho boy. No Contest. Sheer beauty. Organic flow of rivers, streets, villages and tree lines. Perfect water. Never boring, always changing. Little details flowing into a greater whole. Yes, Damascus can get a bit repetitive, I grant you, but flying around Beqaa or Haifa is pure bliss.

So that's my take on these maps. Do you have any recommendations for beautiful locations I should visit? Please let me know - it's a fun and relaxing way to build up my helicopter skill, and I'm getting an incredible amount of additional mileage out of my maps.

Thanks,
-ch

• Like 3

Looks like the Easter Bunny will have to deliver one more egg then

Thanks, @MAXsenna
You sure like eggs. Want some more? If you're into helis, a Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 will do you good, if you can find one. Unless you've got one though.
The same goes for the collective made by @K-51. Even though the waiting list is probably long, it's well worth the wait.
These two suggestions makes all the difference en helicopters for me.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 4/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, cfrag said:

Do you have any recommendations for beautiful locations I should visit?

NTTR - Colorado canyon, UFO in Dreamland, The spider

Caucasus - Inguri Dam, Roki tunnel

PG - ancient ruins, Khasab and area to the north

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, cfrag said:

Do you have any recommendations for beautiful locations I should visit?

Persian Gulf: You can try my free flight mission, offering Huey take offs close to the ancient ruins and from the Abu Dhabi mosque. I haven't updated it to open beta version 2.7 yet, but just change the weather in the mission editor and you're set.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310197/

The Channel: You should find new instant action missions for the Huey in OB v2.7. Free flights from Boulogne and Hawkinge take you along some special monuments and buildings.

NTTR: Check out the nuclear weapon test craters close to Pahute Mesa airstrip: 

Edited by blaster182
  • Like 2

A-4E | AV-8B N/A | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-5E | F-14A&B | F1 | FC3 | M-2000C | Mosquito | P-47D | Spitfire | AH-64D | Mi-8MTV2 | Mi-24P | SA342 | UH-1H
Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | Sinai | South Atlantic | Syria | The Channel | Supercarrier | NS430
i7-5820K @ 4.50GHz | 32GB DDR-4 @ 3.00GHz | 2x 1TB NVMe SSD | Asus RTX 2070S O8G
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS | Thrustmaster TFRP pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:48 AM, blaster182 said:

Persian Gulf: You can try my free flight mission, offering Huey take offs close to the ancient ruins and from the Abu Dhabi mosque. I haven't updated it to open beta version 2.7 yet, but just change the weather in the mission editor and you're set.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310197/

The Channel: You should find new instant action missions for the Huey in OB v2.7. Free flights from Boulogne and Hawkinge take you along some special monuments and buildings.

NTTR: Check out the nuclear weapon test craters close to Pahute Mesa airstrip: 

Craters of the moon National Security Area.  The most bombed real estate on the planet; people used to go to Vegas to watch the sun rise in the west, but MOST of those are subsidence craters.  Quite a few building codes that exist today started on Frenchman Flats out there.  Sedan was a 'peaceful atom' demonstration to dig canals, reservoirs, etc quickly and radioactively.  Apparently the Soviets actually did that according to my wife. 

The best were the two tests in western Colorado; sort of an early attempt at fracking.  Worked great, but the natural gas produced was radioactive and had to be burned off.  Second best was a decoupling test in Mississippi.  Six months after the second test the void was so hot it burned the paint off a camera they lowered into the hole.  Then there's Cannikin...

Seriously, who thinks all that was a good idea?  Once in a while I'll helo over that way and try to identify test craters.  I don't know them all...

• Like 1