Win 10 Memory Compression

Here's a new one on me, that I've only just found out today.

Apparently, Win10, by default uses "Memory Compression", i.e. something similar to Winzip, but only data being stored in memory.

Quite clearly, that "compression" is going to use CPU resources.

Did make me wonder, so I had a quick look in task manager.  Despite having 64GB of RAM, my system, with not very much running on it, was suggesting that it had 6GB of "compressed" memory.

I've not done any testing with DCS yet, but regularly use 20GB+ of RAM in multiplayer, and I'm guessing that the amount of compressed memory would have been massive.

Clearly, if you're marginal on RAM availability, disabling the compression is NOT going to be a good idea.

However, if you've got plenty available, here's the step through guide on how to disable:

https://superuser.com/questions/1000485/how-to-disable-windows-10-memory-compression#:~:text=and run the command Disable,Enable-MMAgent -mc command.

When I get some time later today, hoping to test and see if this makes any difference.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Hi Mr_sukebe. I’ve been running Windows 10 for quite some time with memory compression as well as the page file disabled.

I also had the same observation with my 64GB system and thought I might as well save those CPU cycles.

Unfortunately, I’ve never really tested it, but my soon to be 5 years old system @4k runs mostly without stuttering.

I suppose every little helps.

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

On 4/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

Here's a new one on me, that I've only just found out today.

Apparently, Win10, by default uses "Memory Compression", i.e. something similar to Winzip, but only data being stored in memory.

Quite clearly, that "compression" is going to use CPU resources.

Did make me wonder, so I had a quick look in task manager.  Despite having 64GB of RAM, my system, with not very much running on it, was suggesting that it had 6GB of "compressed" memory.

I've not done any testing with DCS yet, but regularly use 20GB+ of RAM in multiplayer, and I'm guessing that the amount of compressed memory would have been massive.

Clearly, if you're marginal on RAM availability, disabling the compression is NOT going to be a good idea.

However, if you've got plenty available, here's the step through guide on how to disable:

https://superuser.com/questions/1000485/how-to-disable-windows-10-memory-compression#:~:text=and run the command Disable,Enable-MMAgent -mc command.

When I get some time later today, hoping to test and see if this makes any difference.

The best way to manage Win 10 memory is to disable all unwanted Apps which would otherwise run in background and set page files in a different HD than the O.S while keeping the minimum requiered to run it in the same HD/Partition, idealy, 2 X + the amount of RAM.

Regardless of the format (compressed or not), it is how much bandwidth the O.S is going to use in normal operation like during gaming, so keeping it to the minimum is the best way to make sure the available bandwidth for gaming is optimium.

Idealy, installing games and paging files on an M2 SDD is going to help a lot as well, much faster than SATA...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 3 weeks later...