Cougar throttle OFF/IDLE detent strategy for F-16C

PicklePicklePickle

Hello,

So I just purchased a used TM Cougar to complement my FSSB-R3 stick for the F-16C module (i'm just using the throttle on the Cougar). I have gotten all the switches and knobs working, and the last question I have is regrading the OFF/IDLE detent on the low end.

On the high end, I am able to lineup the physical afterburner detent with the location in DCS so it works well. However, on the low end the Cougar does not seem to have a switch to signal 'OFF' to power off the engines as with the TM warthog.

How does everyone set this up? Do you live with the non-functional region below the OFF/IDLE detent? Or do you remove the mechanical detent and use the rest of the lower range for MIL throttle?

ideally, I would like for the engines to shut off when you go below the low detent(i believe this is the accurate behavior), but i can't see a way to make that happen...

Thanks in advance

Edited by PicklePicklePickle

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

You can't. If you open it up, you'll see there's no buttons inside it. I'm gonna mod mine though, maybe. But gotta get the idle detent a little stronger/harder first.
Also, I really recommend rel4s' mods for it.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hello MAXsenna, could you tell me what is rel4s' mods? Thanks!
Hey! Try this thread. But it seems that rel4y has been offline for a while.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/188571-tm-cougar-ch-magnetoresistive-hall-sensor-kits/&share_tid=188571&share_fid=74365&share_type=t&link_source=app

Anyway. The parts I got made the throttle standalone and USB with the pot changed to a magnet sensor.
Also he is working on magnetic sensors for the ANT and RNG rotaries.
The switch was very easy and well worth the cost and effort.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 4/1/2021 at 1:20 AM, PicklePicklePickle said:

On the high end, I am able to lineup the physical afterburner detent with the location in DCS so it works well. However, on the low end the Cougar does not seem to have a switch to signal 'OFF' to power off the engines as with the TM warthog.

How does everyone set this up? Do you live with the non-functional region below the OFF/IDLE detent? Or do you remove the mechanical detent and use the rest of the lower range for MIL throttle?

ideally, I would like for the engines to shut off when you go below the low detent(i believe this is the accurate behavior), but i can't see a way to make that happen...

You can do that with Target Script Editor.

For example, I had something like this programmed on my FC3 Su-27 profile which used the Cougar throttle:

SetCustomCurve(&HCougar, THROTTLE, LIST(0,0, 8,0, 90,75, 95,75, 100,100));
    KeyAxis(&HCougar, THROTTLE, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,1,100), EXEC("bothEnginesStop();"), EXEC("bothEnginesStart();")));

The first line sets the custom curve for idle and afterburner detents and the second one splits the axis in two parts, one between 0 and 1 and 1 and 100. When the throttle moves into the first part, the engines are shut off, when it moves beyond that, they are started.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 3 weeks later...

What Dudikoff said above works also with older TM Cougar software called Foxy that I highly recommend (and use for 17 years so far).

Are U aware that You can physically adjust the position of both IDLE and AB detents if you open up a Cougar TQS? 

Say your IDLE detent is positioned at 4% of throttle travel. Foxy allows programing a curve so that all <4% generates a RSHF+End macro that kills your engine. So 5% can generate an egine start and 6% thru 100% behave like a slider with adjustable curve to allow more curve / precision in that close to FulMil sweetspot your throttle spends most of it's time at. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]