CBU-97 “INVALID FUZING”

Sorry if this is repeated, I searched for it. 

Im selecting CBU-97, CCIP, 1800’ default, and got the “INVALID FUZING” in HUD. 

I re-saved the profile with all of the different fuzing options and still got the message.

I couldn’t find much in the manual on subject. 

thanks

• 10 months later...

The video was useful but doesn’t go all the way. It talks about height of function, I’m assuming above ground level, but the mentions altitude, elevation above sea level. The problem is, I’m in Instant Action at Nellis doing the Weapons Practice. Ground level is around 4500 ft QNH (altitude).

I cannot release the CBU-97 Despite playing with the DSMS CBU profile and trying various height/altitudes. Can anyone please shed a little light on this? I’ve been through Ralfidude’s videos and On the Range.

Thank you.

jj

Edited by jumbojock
Clarification of Nevada’s elevation.

1 hour ago, jumbojock said:

The video was useful but doesn’t go all the way. It talks about height of function, I’m assuming above ground level, but the mentions altitude, elevation above sea level. The problem is, I’m in Instant Action at Nellis doing the Weapons Practice. Ground level is around 4500 ft QNH (altitude).

I cannot release the CBU-97 Despite playing with the DSMS CBU profile and trying various height/altitudes. Can anyone please shed a little light on this? I’ve been through Ralfidude’s videos and On the Range.

Thank you.

jj

Are you using CCIP?  The CBU-97 has so much drag CCIP drops can be quite difficult--by the time you're close enough to see the CCIP reticle in the HUD, you're often already too low.

I've always understood the HOF for CBU's to be feet AGL, not feet MSL.

Better is CCRP mode, best is using CCIP in CR (Consent to Release) mode (enable from the IFFCC test menu).

Bunyap's On the Range videos are brilliant, and how I learned the A-10.  The only complaint I have is that he keeps saying "reticule" instead of "reticle" 🙂

Edited by jaylw314

6 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I've always understood the HOF for CBU's to be feet AGL, not feet MSL.

97s use the FZU-39, which is a radar based proximity sensor and uses AGL for HOF. I've heard of older fuzes that may use MSL (based on barometric altitude) but I don't know which ones specifically.

[SOLVED] Thanks folks. I didn’t know about CR mode. I’m dropping in CCRP mode. I’ll try all and report back.

Well, turn out I fell for the old manual vs default profile thingy.  Although I was changing the parameters, I was the accessing the profile through DSMS which - NOOB ERROR - gives the default profile.  Once I set the HUD as SOI and used DMS left and right to select the profile I’d entered, all was well.  I hope this wee lesson helps someone else.

Thank you.

jj

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jumbojock said:

[SOLVED] Thanks folks. I didn’t know about CR mode. I’m dropping in CCRP mode. I’ll try all and report back.

Well, turn out I fell for the old manual vs default profile thingy.  Although I was changing the parameters, I was the accessing the profile through DSMS which - NOOB ERROR - gives the default profile.  Once I set the HUD as SOI and used DMS left and right to select the profile I’d entered, all was well.  I hope this wee lesson helps someone else.

Thank you.

jj

Cool beans, also note that you can cycle weapon profiles using the SEL rocker on the UFC, even if when HUD is not SOI.  Some people find it helpful, others not since you have to take your hand off the controls.  I find flipping the HUD to SOI has become muscle memory.