Recommendations for Springs, Cams & Clutches with Ultimate Grip & 20cm (200mm) Extension?

Weegie

Of course I'll need to just experiment, but I thought I'd get some advice on what other members are using for the Cams, Spring weight and clutch settings for the above for Gunfighter MK III base

I perfer a light center and ideally a smooth heavier feel to the stick movement.

Thinking of trying a couple of 40 springs initially then seeing how I get on with that, currently have the Avia light center cams in (I think)

For now I'll leave in the light cam and not mess with the clutches

I read that the Space cams have virtually on center detent at all and wondered has anybody experimented with them yet?

I don't recall what cams I settled with as it has been a while.

I was running one #50 spring on each axis with MCG Pro, after replacing it with MCG Ultimate I ended up also adding a #30 spring in addition to the #50 on each axis. Feels about right for my taste.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm running close to what dburne is. Started with one #40 on each axis and then when I switched to the (heavier) ultimate I went to #40 + #20 on each axis.

Using the avia-S cams (aviation, soft center). Afaik, the space cams are the same center options (either S or H), the difference is they don't have the progressive loading like the aviation ones (more resistance when further away from center). I think I recall reading somewhere on the vkb forums that centerless cams are on the way, which is what I think I'd prefer (or would at least like to try).

I'd definitely recommend fiddling with the clutches. I've got mine turned way up (probably 3/4 of the way), and I'm really liking how it feels. I might turn them up a little more and lessen the springs a bit. The clutches give stick movements a weightiness/heft in a smoother way than springs can. Subtle stick movements near the center kind of hold position, where I can use that for a super subtle trim. Note that I have the 20cm extension, so ymmv with above clutch/spring settings.

• Thanks 1

Many Thanks to both @dburne & @Monkwolf

I started with a #50 & #30 but after reading Monkwollf's post and a quick trial of the feel I've now got a #40 & #20 and dialled up the clutches to about halfway from where they were from the factory to tight (around 7 turns), so I reckon about 3/4 too.

Feel is terrific, stick is light but the friction from the clutches give a lovely buttery, linear heft to the movment.

It feels fantastic and like you Monkwolf I reckon I'm going to experiment with lighter springs, down to a #10 or perhaps just leave in the #40, for starters and later play more with the clutches.

My Mamba is fantastic and I didn't think it could get much better, now I know different, this setup is another step change I didn't imagine possible

• Like 1

Hmm may have to play with tightening my clutches a little next time I have it opened up.

My only concern there would be the stick not centering perfectly when let go.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

Hmm may have to play with tightening my clutches a little next time I have it opened up.

My only concern there would be the stick not centering perfectly when let go.

That happens with mine, but I've got the clutches turned way up (iirc 2 turns back off of max), and I didn't adjust the springs when I switched to the Ultimate. With the lighter Pro grip it was fine.  I've thought about trying double #40s on each axis to increase the centering force for planes, but I've grown to like how it doesn't absolutely center, especially with helis, which I've been flying more lately. So I'm just leaving it in the middle ground. Plus, for some planes I can't dial in the trim exactly like I want (ex: Hornet with aileron trim.. sometimes it's slightly too much one way or the other with one press of trim hat)... now I can just slightly nudge the stick to dial it in.

Doing some quick tests in VKB Device Config... center being 32767.. if I move stick to max deflection and then let go.. takes around 1 - 2 seconds to bounce halfway to opposite side, then barely moves back to original side, then seems to be settling around 250 to 500 from center (ie, current reading from one test is 32800 X and 32319 Y).

Edited by Monkwolf
  • Thanks 1

I went with 50+40 on my setup.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

52 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

That happens with mine, but I've got the clutches turned way up (iirc 2 turns back off of max), and I didn't adjust the springs when I switched to the Ultimate. With the lighter Pro grip it was fine.  I've thought about trying double #40s on each axis to increase the centering force for planes, but I've grown to like how it doesn't absolutely center, especially with helis, which I've been flying more lately. So I'm just leaving it in the middle ground. Plus, for some planes I can't dial in the trim exactly like I want (ex: Hornet with aileron trim.. sometimes it's slightly too much one way or the other with one press of trim hat)... now I can just slightly nudge the stick to dial it in.

Yeah I can relate to the Hornet aileron trim.

Last time I opened mine up ended up with a broken wire that I soldered back together. Guess I did not have the wires all good and clear of everything. 

Don B

I'll experiment some more with mine and report, I suspect it'll be as @Monkwolf states. I'm not too fussed on absolute centering, my rudders with a damper are the same, they center approx but not bang on and I'm well used to that

I much prefer having the smooth and lighter feel with the downside of an inexact center, rather than having to haul against stronger springs which induces unwanted input (with my ham fisted approaches anyway).

This is the downside of getting new hardware (not that I'm complaining you understand) there are so many available options that it can take a long time to even approach your preferred settings.

The Grip is awesome now I need to program the LEDs and buttons to match what I had in the Mamba

Thank you all so much for the assistance, "I'll be back"

• Like 1