ACM radar pre-AIMVAL/ACEVAL

r4y30n

From what I remember in Gilchrist’s book, the F-14 ACM radar modes were developed during AIMVAL/ACEVAL. I’m guessing that’s why the target designate switch looks like an afterthought stuck on the side of the cockpit rather than being on the throttle where it would make the most sense. Does anyone know how Grumman intended the pilot to work the radar before then? Was it PLM only?

First of all VSL/PAL switch is not only used for ACM radar operation but also for Computer Target (CCRP) bombing designation, so idk if it was really an afterthought.

Secondly, Grumman solved this riddle with the most sophisticated piece of equipment - human in the back :P. Don't forget that RIO also have controls for VSL (not PAL or PLM though) and I think it was actually RIO who was activating them on command of pilot, who simply focused on just flying. It is stated here 15:38 :

Edited by The_Tau

A the good ol meat radar mode. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The PLM, VSL and MRL modes were in the aircraft from the very beginning afaik. The PAL was a later addition. Originally everything but the PLM was RIO activated only and the target designate switch being used for VSL and PAL was a later addition.

• Like 2

So would any of these modes be missing or different on the Iranian version you guys are doing?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

20 hours ago, r4y30n said:

From what I remember in Gilchrist’s book, the F-14 ACM radar modes were developed during AIMVAL/ACEVAL. I’m guessing that’s why the target designate switch looks like an afterthought stuck on the side of the cockpit rather than being on the throttle where it would make the most sense. Does anyone know how Grumman intended the pilot to work the radar before then? Was it PLM only?

Naquaii already covered the fact that those modes pre-existed AIM/ACEVAL, but just to answer your question on the target designate switch: that switch was also there prior to those exercises.  The Preliminary TO from 1972 shows the target designate switch sitting off to the left of the left side console, and all drawings of the pilot cockpit show the same.  Same as the operational November 1975 edition, so that wasn't an afterthought or added after those trials. 

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

54 minutes ago, r4y30n said:

Right, my point was that the switch is in an awkward spot compared to newer aircraft.

It is not awkward to use at all, with my simpit you simply just bump it back or forward, though under high G duress it may be harder, though I doubt many pilots complained about it. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

It is not awkward to use at all, with my simpit you simply just bump it back or forward, though under high G duress it may be harder, though I doubt many pilots complained about it. 
Well, if you mean is in a better position than in a HOTAS concept, then no, it's not awkward.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

3 hours ago, r4y30n said:

Right, my point was that the switch is in an awkward spot compared to newer aircraft.

That's because this use wasn't intended but possible to add. IRL as far as I've heard it would be the RIO that would activate the VSL.

2 hours ago, The_Tau said:

As it is in the video

"...As pilot calls for sparrow shot, I never look down in the cockpit, I just switch to VSL, he [pilot] got a lock and call the shot, as he got all the information on HUD..."

According to our SMEs many RIOs had the techs put a shrinktube over the VSL switch so it was easy to find it by feel without looking down.