VAICOM stuck on a specific tanker, not contacting others dispite having the correct callsign

Valkyrien

Having an issue where In MP VAICOM locks into whatever the closest tanker to my start location is and will refuse to contact any other tanker via voice commands, for example I'll ask "Texaco Approaching for Refuel" and get [Tanker], [Intent to Refuel] in Voice Attack's log window, but in game the text seems to contact whichever tanker was closest to me when i spawned over the correct radio frequency. I'm still able to access the correct tanker through the menu if absolutely necessary with the mouse and keyboard, though i cannot get the comms menu to persist long enough to do the callout using the [Options] keyword.

I did a fresh install of VAICOM last night to see if that could fix it but the issue persisted.

Keep holding the TX after saying options, and then say "take x" until finished.
I know this is just a work around. I don't know why VAICOM won't keep the connection to the correct tanker.
I've had similar issues with airfields lately on Caucasus, even after using the "select airfield" command with correct frequency, it changes to another (further away) airfield. And I need to say "airfield inbound" etc.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Valkyrien said:

Having an issue where In MP VAICOM locks into whatever the closest tanker to my start location is and will refuse to contact any other tanker via voice commands, for example I'll ask "Texaco Approaching for Refuel" and get [Tanker], [Intent to Refuel] in Voice Attack's log window, but in game the text seems to contact whichever tanker was closest to me when i spawned over the correct radio frequency. I'm still able to access the correct tanker through the menu if absolutely necessary with the mouse and keyboard, though i cannot get the comms menu to persist long enough to do the callout using the [Options] keyword.

I did a fresh install of VAICOM last night to see if that could fix it but the issue persisted.

You do not say if you are using Easy Comms, Select Tunes Radio, or Instant Select, all of which could be involved. Also could be mission dependent. Try using an explicit "Select" command first. That should solve the problem if there is only one tanker with the given call sign. If there is more than one "Texaco" then you will need to select the one you want through the radio menu (e.g. using "Tanker, Options, Take ...," etc.). This is true even if they are on different frequencies. It's a limitation of the software. I hope it gets fixed someday. 

As MAXsenna said, the way to getting the comms menu to stay open is to keep the TX key pressed until you are done giving "Take" commands. If you release the key then the menu will instantly close.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

2 minutes ago, sthompson said:

You do not say if you are using Easy Comms, Select Tunes Radio, or Instant Select, all of which could be involved. Also could be mission dependent. Try using an explicit "Select" command first. That should solve the problem if there is only one tanker with the given call sign. If there is more than one "Texaco" then you will need to select the one you want through the radio menu (e.g. using "Tanker, Options, Take ...," etc.). This is true even if they are on different frequencies. It's a limitation of the software. I hope it gets fixed someday. 

As MAXsenna said, the way to getting the comms menu to stay open is to keep the TX key pressed until you are done giving "Take" commands. If you release the key then the menu will instantly close.

Easy comms off without using select tunes radio or instant select, just good old tuning the frequency myself.

as far as the callsigns go the map in question is a homeport/trainer for our group so there's like 6 texaco's. I'll let our mission dev know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valkyrien said:

Easy comms off without using select tunes radio or instant select, just good old tuning the frequency myself.

as far as the callsigns go the map in question is a homeport/trainer for our group so there's like 6 texaco's. I'll let our mission dev know.

Then VAICOM is working as its supposed to. It tunes the nearest recipient when you spawn (or when you first start VAICOM if that is later). It won't switch to another recipient unless you use one of the "Select" methods. Without instant select the mention of "texaco" in your command does not cause VAICOM to focus on that particular recipient. But if you have 6 Texacos then VAICOM currently has no way of knowing which one you mean even with Instant Select turned on. In particular, it does not look at the radio tuning to choose one if there are multiple recipients with the same callsign. I hope that gets fixed at some point.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

1 hour ago, sthompson said:

Then VAICOM is working as its supposed to. It tunes the nearest recipient when you spawn (or when you first start VAICOM if that is later). It won't switch to another recipient unless you use one of the "Select" methods. Without instant select the mention of "texaco" in your command does not cause VAICOM to focus on that particular recipient. But if you have 6 Texacos then VAICOM currently has no way of knowing which one you mean even with Instant Select turned on. In particular, it does not look at the radio tuning to choose one if there are multiple recipients with the same callsign. I hope that gets fixed at some point.

In the past, it hasn't needed the select callout at all unless i was using select tunes radio. I can see how it would get confused with Texaco 1 vs Texaco 2 though.

1 hour ago, Valkyrien said:

In the past, it hasn't needed the select callout at all unless i was using select tunes radio. I can see how it would get confused with Texaco 1 vs Texaco 2 though.

My understanding is that if you name a tanker (or just say "tanker") in your command then it will try to find a tanker even if you haven't selected one. But it won't necessarily be the one you called out if there is more than one. Is it possible that in the past when it worked there was only one tanker?

• Like 1

Had this happen several times on the Aerobatics server, it runs easycomms though.

You'd select a particular tanker and get another, tune the radio to the tanker you want to talk to and the frequency would change on the radio and you'd be talking once again to the same old tanker you do not want to contact.

For me its been buggy in MP for some time but I can't find out why, it's not generic in all servers, and it also works for me in SP.

Even the servers that do this don't do it everytime, I just gave up on trying to find a reason

I thought using the call Tanker, or nearest tanker selected the refueller you were closest too, time to dig out the manual again I guess

• Like 1

I wonder if it’s as simple as the mission designers having multiple tankers on the same frequency?

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 4/8/2021 at 2:36 AM, speed-of-heat said:

I wonder if it’s as simple as the mission designers having multiple tankers on the same frequency?

Not on the aerobatics server anyway, it's a possible problem for sure.

In the aerobatics they all have discrete frequencies and in the Hornet or Harrier you see the frequncy changing on the UFC. I haven't refuelled in a while, as I've been playing with the warbirds and earlly jets though

Another possibility is coalitions but again aerobatics has all the aircraft on the one side if I remember correctly, need to go in and try it again

• Like 1

In my experience it doesn't actually matter what tanker callsign you say if there are multiple tankers on the same frequency, it selects the nearest one. Ie. if both Texaco and Arco are on the same channel, you can say "Arco, approaching for refuel" and if you're closer to Texaco the message will be interpreted as "Texaco, request rejoin". This is obviously not ideal, but it seems to be how it currently works (as of last time I checked at least).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 8:12 PM, Ghost Dad Recon said:

In my experience it doesn't actually matter what tanker callsign you say if there are multiple tankers on the same frequency, it selects the nearest one. Ie. if both Texaco and Arco are on the same channel, you can say "Arco, approaching for refuel" and if you're closer to Texaco the message will be interpreted as "Texaco, request rejoin". This is obviously not ideal, but it seems to be how it currently works (as of last time I checked at least).

Doesn't seem to be the issue in my groups mission either, frequencies are segregated

Edited by Valkyrien