P-51 Emergency landing tail bouncing causes aircraft disintegration and explosion

Hiromachi

Tonight during routine flying online I have suffered hydraulic and coolant damage, which prompted me to proceed to nearest airfield and land. Upon landing I noticed lack of hydraulic pressure, so I used emergency handle to extend the landing gear and banked airplane few times to make sure its locked. On final approach engine failed me, but I managed to glide the aircraft and put it down at approx. 100 MPH in three-point position. 

Airplane landed on front gear first, which extended properly, but as soon as tail touched the ground it started porpoising / bouncing (with rather constant intensity), after few bounces tail came off, plane caught fire and as soon as I stopped, entire plane exploded, killing pilot instantly.

This was extremely frustrating as I did everything right, yet have to suffer consequences of the bug. 

This prompted me to ask for help and record two instances offline which show exactly what is happening:

As you can see with emergency wing deployment tail wheel remains retracted, which is wrong. Even DCS P-51 manual indicates that tail wheel should come down on its own:

image0.png

But what follows is even worse. With first touch of the ground (concrete or land) tail starts bouncing (from readings of acceleromter it seems to be +1 / -1 G) and after 2-3 bounces entire tail comes off, center of the aircraft ignites and soon machine explodes.

Thus there are few questions which demand an answer:

1. why is tail bouncing in such a manner when there is contact with the ground ? Is collision model correct in rear section ?

2. why is entire tail section so easily detaching ?

3. why does center of the aircraft catch fire in this situation ? (and why is it followed by explosion ?).

I have seen a number of aircraft crashes, including a few P-51s, but never seen entire tail tear off of it and I haven't seen bouncing like that. Id rather expect tail to fall and scrape the runway, with tail section being bent. But not completely tear off in such manner, when loads applied on it do not exceed 1+ G (as indicated by accelerometer).

Secondly there is no reason why aircraft should catch fire in this part. I made sure that both instantaneous mission and my online flight were with auxiliary fuel tank empty. So there is nothing that should catch fire like that and even more so cause explosion. Wing fuel tanks are far from the section which breaks and since front gear is fine, they are not in contact with runway.

This issue is rather important as me and number of friends from my squadron (I presume other people encountered this as well) experience this every time we try emergency landing. It can be replicated almost every time and almost every time leads to death. This prompted us to make landings with gear up which by definition should be significantly more risky.

There is a reason why emergency gear release existed and it was used. Current DCS implementation with this bug prevents any effective use of it.

I attach the track from offline test. I also have track from multiplayer, but its almost 2 hour long so not sure anyone wishes to wait until its very end.

bouncy_bouncy_tail_breakoff.trk

Edited by Hiromachi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Update. I was also made aware that tail bouncing can occure even with simple landing gear retraction:

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Nice bug catch. As for the second part of your question, the drag values of the ground in DCS World are way off. In fact the entire ground handling physics are very, very strange and very underdeveloped compared to everything else in the sim. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• ED Team

I have reported to the team, specifically the tail section coming off to easy. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Reminds me of the bury-tail-after-repair-bounce-up-insanely bug (the bounce is long fixed). It does show tail part coming off easy (too easy?). Interesting note, though just repaired, violent bounce up destroys tail wheel. So tail-plane hits ground without tail wheel dampening.

...Taxi off RWY onto grass at Batumi, retract landing gear. Repair.

First just prop bent, then from bad to worse ... and worse (pilot dead).

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 2 weeks later...

same issue I have track, happens every time I get flack make it home and then Land perfect and then blow up?

Track file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m4dlnzg4nz10zhf/land27afterflakhitvr.zip/file

Logs.zip

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 4 weeks later...

Had it happen again to myself.  This issue is still not fixed.
The track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w739yyxb6jxd7m/SoW - June 23 1944 - AM v100-20210511-115400.trk?dl=0

And here's another instance, also no hydraulic pressure. 

Why is the tail body of the 51 made of flubber

Edited by Magic Zach
video
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it also is a damage model issue; things on the plane are probably catastrophic damaged, if the plane keeps flying until you get landed then all hell breaks loose. 

track and briefing in the zip.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/iexjpxxvmq8rbnp/almolandingafterseverdamage.zip/file

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:47 PM, 71st_Mastiff said:

I believe it also is a damage model issue; things on the plane are probably catastrophic damaged, if the plane keeps flying until you get landed then all hell breaks loose. 

track and briefing in the zip.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/iexjpxxvmq8rbnp/almolandingafterseverdamage.zip/file

We have discovered that if you bailout and run away as fast as possible when the tail breaks off, you can avoid dying in the fire.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

On 6/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, pmiceli said:

We have discovered that if you bailout and run away as fast as possible when the tail breaks off, you can avoid dying in the fire.

yes I did discover this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bug is still there after 3 month and i would like to add one more bug report related to this problem

Tail door and tail gear not drops with pulling hydraulic pressure release handle & lowering the landing gear lever when there's no hydraulic pressure (following instruction from AAF MANUAL 51-127-5 Pilot Training Manual for the Mustang page 82-83)

Edited by 8KIDD8
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Sorry guys, I will give it another shove. Thanks.

Just as note, I turned this report into multiple reports for:

1. Tail comes off too easy with tail wheel off
  2. Tail Wheel should come down with emergency release of gear
  3. Remove instant fire from no tail wheel landing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2 hours ago, NineLine said:

Sorry guys, I will give it another shove. Thanks.

Just as note, I turned this report into multiple reports for:

1. Tail comes off too easy with tail wheel off
  2. Tail Wheel should come down with emergency release of gear
  3. Remove instant fire from no tail wheel landing

Thanks for pushing this one forward a bit more.

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg