Editing the ASP Textre

Zweistein000

Hello everyone,

I want to edit the back ASP texture of the MiG-21 cockpit. I've spent the evening getting GIMP to work with DCS DDS files and then opening the cockpit DDS files in Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Textures\MiG-21_Cockpit folder. And I can't for the life of me find the file that has the black ASP texture. I have a feeling that it's the MiG21Bis_CP_006.dds file, but when I load it up with GIMP I can only seE the "BAZA" texture and a few other cyrilic letters, the rest is transparent. If I look at MiG21Bis_CP_006_RoughMet.dds, I get this orange-scale picture that looks like it has the texture in it, which is what gives me the idea that MiG21Bis_CP_006.dds could be the right texture and that maybe GIMP isn't reading it properly.

Would anyone be so kind as to ether confirm that MiG21Bis_CP_006.dds is the right file and that GIMP isn't working right or point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Edited by Zweistein000

The new textures were exported through a newer version of the DDS plugin, which isn't backwards compatible (the reasons why are beyond me). If you have an older version of the plugin, you won't be able to open them properly, but if you save in the older format it still works fine ingame. You might need to either update the plugin or, if that's not an option, find a friend who has the new version and annoy them into converting them back to a format you can edit (like I had to).

I should still have the copies I had sent to me kicking around, I'll send you them and leave this post here for anyone else who might be encountering the same issue, so they have some idea what might be going on.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 1