Some love for the 29 ED Please :)

IvanK

After the change to the PFM and new cockpit a few changes to the MIG29 came along and a few omissions. It would be nice (pending a full detail MIG29 model) that a few things were corrected 🙂

NAV SYSTEM

Please some waypoint numbers in the HUD (A la SU25T). These numbers should reflect the active/selected Waypoint in ENR mode and the Airfield ID number (which should be published for each map) in RTN and LNDG modes.(This should be carried on to the SU27/33 as well ... at least the map in the 27/33 allows you to have a rough idea what you are steering to)

HSI ILS NEEDLES

At present the HSI ILS needles only come alive at around 8Km  when on a Russian ILS even though the HUD K and r mode annunciations appear together with the deviation circle. The ILS HSI needles should come alive as soon as valid ILS signals are received, and the OFF flags are removed.

Also the HSI ILS needles should be centered when not in operation with OFF flags visible. At present they park in the bottom left corner of the HSI. This can be verified by any MIG29 cockpit image/video either on the ground or airborne.

AIRSPEED INDICATOR (ASI)

This has a White sector in the 12 O'Clock area that has a Number 1 in it. The Needle will only go around once then stops at 1000Kmh. The White window should be black and without a numeral for airspeeds below 1000kmh. As you go past 1000Kmh the sector should uncover to reveal a 1 then the needle continues along. so at 1200KMH the needle will be on 2 with the sector uncovered with a 1 so the IAS can be read as 1 200.

TRIM

Can the trim rate and or amount be adjusted to allow precise trimming. At present any trim application results in over trimming the other way.

COCKPIT LIGHTING

Can the internal instrument lighting be made a little brighter. Be nice if the flood lighting was just slightly increased as well.

FUEL SYSTEM WING DROP TANKS

Given the fuel feed sequence is now correct (Thank you ED). The jettison system needs a little work. At present you can only jettison all 3 tanks together. You cant jettison the wing tanks separately. IRL there is a dedicated jettison button for just the centreline on the stick. Wing drop tanks IRL have a dedicated Guarded jettison push button on the main panel just below the AOA/G gauge.

If you try to jettison the WDT by the stores jettison the order results in anything on the outboard wings going first !

A suggested fix. "Jettison tanks" command  should only apply to the centreline tank. Provide an additional command "Jettison WDT" would be nice.

MIG29G

This is weird as its now just MIG29A with HUD IAS in Knots and HUD altimeter in feet ... everything else in the cockpit in KMH and Metres ! ... No TACAN anymore either.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Add some of this stuff.... just to clear the list... 12. is optional and semirealistic 

• Like 5

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Great post, MiG-29 definetly needs some developer love.

There are many FF modules being worked on currently and I don't think they will check FC3 planes anytime soon but we will keep making noises here 🙂

Only one thing I would add about cockpit lighting. It would be phenomelan if flood lights can be separate keybind from instrument lighting, of course brightness control would be nice but that is stepping into FF feature set I guess.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, swartbyron said:

+1 for evething except the flood lighting unless we are given a independent control for it.

As It looked awful the last time it was implemented.

I Agree

Edited by XPACT

On 3/30/2021 at 1:59 PM, IvanK said:

It would be nice (pending a full detail MIG29 model) that a few things were corrected 🙂

I agree!

Please some waypoint numbers in the HUD (A la SU25T). These numbers should reflect the active/selected Waypoint in ENR mode and the Airfield ID number (which should be published for each map) in RTN and LNDG modes.

As I mentioned in this recent post, it would be amazing if the nav panel could be animated to show the currently-selected waypoint, like it is on the Su-25. But even a waypoint number indication in the HUD would be drastically better than what we have now (which is nothing!). 4 months ago, BIGNEWY said:

On 12/1/2020 at 4:19 AM, BIGNEWY said:

The task is in our list to do, I have asked for a status update, if I get any news I will pass it on

but given that it's been over 2 years since Wags said "it will be added back to the HUD in an update," I'm not holding my breath ☹

MIG29G

This is weird as its now just MIG29A with HUD IAS in Knots and HUD altimeter in feet ... everything else in the cockpit in KMH and Metres ! ... No TACAN anymore either.

Yeah, I would love it if the MiG-29G would get the correct (English) cockpit with the proper units (miles and feet and knots) used everywhere! It's very confusing now with a pretty random mix of units, particularly since many are unlabeled or falsely labeled (e.g. the waypoint distance indication in the HSI is in miles but is labeled "km") and it's not documented anywhere which indications are in what units.

There are a couple other differences:

• The voice message system is in German instead of Russian (which is cool!).
  • The MiG-29G can't be assigned A2G tasks (even though it can be outfitted with A2G ordnance), which I guess sort of makes sense since I believe the Germans (and the Poles?) used them for only A2A, but I've never heard that they were incapable of A2G, so it would be nice if this could be done in DCS.

(An additional difference should be that only the MiG-29G and MiG-29S should be able to carry wing drop tanks and not the MiG-29A, but that's an issue with the A.)

And of course @FoxAlfa's list would be great to be implemented, particularly (IMHO) the countermeasures counter (so you can know when you need to be thrifty with your remaining expendables).

• Like 2

I love the MiG-29. I own most of the modules for this sim. And I must say that the FC3 planes were done well for their time. But we really do need a full-on Mig-29, Su-25 (UTG?????) and Su-27 series. I find myself now flying the Su-25 and MiG-29 more often than not. Sometimes I think the so-called "full fidelity" models are more hype than substance, clickable cockpit or not.

4 minutes ago, Zeagle said:

I love the MiG-29. I own most of the modules for this sim. And I must say that the FC3 planes were done well for their time. But we really do need a full-on Mig-29, Su-25 (UTG?????) and Su-27 series. I find myself now flying the Su-25 and MiG-29 more often than not. Sometimes I think the so-called "full fidelity" models are more hype than substance, clickable cockpit or not.

For much that I love the MiG-29, regarding the bold I must also ask you:

Have you tried the F/A-18C ?

... stuff like "sensor fusion" in that machine are something outstanding.

Truth to be told, in several decades playing jet combat sims I believe I never flown (virtualy) such a complex, complete and realistic aircraft, avionics and technology wise.

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Yes I have many many hours in the hornet and the F-14. I prefer the F-14. I also love the Mi-8 and have ordered the Mi-24.  That being said, it takes more than just some push buttons and glass cockpit displays to make me think a module is good. I think the original developers who created the FC3 birds did a great job.  For example, simply watching some cockpit videos of the Su-25 in action shows just how well they simulated this bird.  I actually prefer a more accurate simulation to a pretty simulation, although having both is better.

But back on topic...+1 for some MiG-29 love ED 

Edited by Zeagle
  • Like 1