Which module of the second world war? Thank you

Ravent

A question for a newbie. I want to start in the aircraft simulation, specifically in the second world war.

From the available modules I am visually like by the P-47, my question is: is it a good module to start with? what advantage and disadvantage has this aircraft with respect to the other available modules? for example p51

I'm trying to find a plane that will allow me to do a little bit of everything and not have a specific role.

Is it true that the p-47 is quite inferior to the p-51? I have read that it is very slow and for air combat it does not work. But I really don't know if it's true or speculation.

By the way, I am inclined to American planes. lol

Thank you very much

I would say that P-47 not quite fit as first WW2 module, simply because the complexity of engine management, things like oil/engine cooling/intercooler/turbo boost control are done manually in P-47, when in other warbirds excluding i-16 those things are controlled automatically.

On the other hand if you dedicate some time to read Manual, i mean original manual or pilot's notes for P-47 and if you learn what needs to be learnt, flying dogfighting or ground pounding should not bring trouble.

• Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thank you very much. it generated the following question:

I would like to know if the p51 engine is easier to operate than the p57, because in real life it was like that or because the p47 is better simulated in the dcs than the p51.

Thank you

@RaventBoth, but more of the "like real life" factor than the other. Compared to the particular version of Thunderbolt we've got simulated, the Mustang has one less lever on the quadrant to fiddle with, automated cooler doors, and no problems with master bearing failures. Engine instruments on the panel are also bigger, better marked and easier to read.

Besides, the Mustang's overal handling in the air is for the most part more pilot-friendly anyway. Not too twitchy and not too sluggish, just well balanced in all three control channels.

Don't get me wrong, despite some bugs P-47 is a lovely modelled DCS addon, and it has its distinctive character, but after flying the plane you can see how it was older and a bit clumsy design.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@Ravent, I don't have the P-47 yet so I can't really help you there. Probably next on my list though. But I do have the Mustang, and am pretty confident that you would not be disappointed. Like all of the other aircraft in DCS world, I am sure the P-47 is top notch. I have the P-51, 109, and the A8. They are all superb, and a lot of fun to learn. 

• Thanks 1

Max power take off is always top fun for me in this bird + superb sounds.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 3/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, Ravent said:

A question for a newbie. I want to start in the aircraft simulation, specifically in the second world war.

From the available modules I am visually like by the P-47, my question is: is it a good module to start with? what advantage and disadvantage has this aircraft with respect to the other available modules? for example p51

I'm trying to find a plane that will allow me to do a little bit of everything and not have a specific role.

Is it true that the p-47 is quite inferior to the p-51? I have read that it is very slow and for air combat it does not work. But I really don't know if it's true or speculation.

By the way, I am inclined to American planes. lol

Thank you very much

Both are difficult in their own way. P-47 gives me headaches, because of it being so heavy and turning so quickly, I am actually not sure whether it's realistic that P-47 turns so tightly, looses the speed to quickly in turn or climb, and also the gun sight is positioned too low. On the other hand, P-51 is much lighter, you can maintain high speed more easily, you can climb, but turning is a bit tricky, you must learn how to do it, but it's got superior gun sight. So I would definitely recommend P-51.

• Thanks 1

I have and enjoy both modules. P-51 is the more forgiving of the two. 

Both require you to manage the engine carefully; temperatures, RPM, manifold pressure, cooling doors, and the turbo in the Jug’s case. 

Both fly nicely, but the Mustang handles better than the Jug. It’s lighter (12,000 lb MTOW) and more nimble. The Jug is much heavier (17,500 lb MTOW) and you feel it when you fly it. The Jug also has a much stronger engine and is more prone to torque rolls. Mustang is more fuel efficient than the Jug too. 

Both are good aircraft, but for someone starting out, my recommendation is for the Mustang. 

• Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg