Carrier captain turning the carrier into the wind on takeoff/landing

When the time comes to launch or land, the carrier will jink into the wind and and get back on course when that is done.

Sit there and see the boat moving as you prep for takeoff would be something.

And yes, this is somewhat of a gimmick. Not important. Still, a whish is a whish.

• Like 1

This is not a gimmick. It is vital to carrier ops, and should be included at some point.

Whilst there are scripts and missions which use different methods to achieve turning into wind, they each have their problems. For example, MOOSE is one option, but as it includes its own ATC, this can conflict with the supercarrier ATC. Other scripts simply change the carrier direction when flight ops are detected, such as those in MBot's DCE missions. These however don't work with the super carrier CASE III recoveries because it uses aircraft distance and alt to detect flight ops, often too late, as the carrier changes directions after the initial marshal radial/final bearing call has already been issued.

What is actually needed is a robust, working system, included within the core supercarrier module. Not some 3rd part scripts to band aid over missing functionality. I understand the supercarrier is currently early access, but I would expect this functionality in the completed module.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 11:27 PM, norman99 said:

This is not a gimmick. It is vital to carrier ops, and should be included at some point.

Whilst there are scripts and missions which use different methods to achieve turning into wind, they each have their problems. For example, MOOSE is one option, but as it includes its own ATC, this can conflict with the supercarrier ATC. Other scripts simply change the carrier direction when flight ops are detected, such as those in MBot's DCE missions. These however don't work with the super carrier CASE III recoveries because it uses aircraft distance and alt to detect flight ops, often too late, as the carrier changes directions after the initial marshal radial/final bearing call has already been issued.

What is actually needed is a robust, working system, included within the core supercarrier module. Not some 3rd part scripts to band aid over missing functionality. I understand the supercarrier is currently early access, but I would expect this functionality in the completed module.

Well said. Absolutely not a gimmick and essential for accurate carrier simulation.