Hello everyone!
Currently the Mi-8MTV2 can only carry S-8 80mm rocket pods in game.

Mil Mi-8T | Weaponsystems.net

However, S-5 (57mm) and S-13 (122mm) rocket pods are universal, so they should be able to be carried too. Here is a MI-8T, which has the same mountings, carrying S-5.

For the Mi-8MTV2 in game, could we have these rocket pods as well? It would add some nice diversity. It should barely be any work, as the pods already exist and are also already coded onto the Hind, and theres no internal computer or anything.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post. Have a good one!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Reros said:

Hello everyone!
Currently the Mi-8MTV2 can only carry S-8 80mm rocket pods in game.

Mil Mi-8T | Weaponsystems.net

However, S-5 (57mm) and S-13 (122mm) rocket pods are universal, so they should be able to be carried too. Here is a MI-8T, which has the same mountings, carrying S-5.

For the Mi-8MTV2 in game, could we have these rocket pods as well? It would add some nice diversity. It should barely be any work, as the pods already exist and are also already coded onto the Hind, and theres no internal computer or anything.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post. Have a good one!

This has already been discussed before and concluded with a "no". The reason for it is that by the time Mi-8MTV2 came out (the one we have), Soviet Union didn´t use the S-5s anymore. As such, it would be a unrealistic weapon for this specific airframe, which indeed is a Soviet original Mi-8MTV2. S-13 were not used on this airframe either. The option was there as an upgrade, but again, Soviet Union did not use them.

Regardless, the S-8´s do their job perfectly.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:40 PM, zerO_crash said:

This has already been discussed before and concluded with a "no". The reason for it is that by the time Mi-8MTV2 came out (the one we have), Soviet Union didn´t use the S-5s anymore. As such, it would be a unrealistic weapon for this specific airframe, which indeed is a Soviet original Mi-8MTV2. S-13 were not used on this airframe either. The option was there as an upgrade, but again, Soviet Union did not use them.

Regardless, the S-8´s do their job perfectly.

Alright, but they probably still had some S-5s in reserve. It's not like I'm asking for Vikhr or aim120 or something. Just something that *could have reasonably been used* and also provides variety and a better product. It won't break the game, (because we are, in fact, playing a videogame). I think there are way larger issues with suspension of disbelief than having rockets that are still in stock be mounted on an aircraft they could totally be mounted on and probably would have if it came to conflict.

As far as I can read, S-13s would fit and be usable without any modification. Same argument as above, I suppose.

Anyway, I understand realism is an important issue, but in my opinion a *possible* 0.0000001% realism loss that 99.999% of people don't even know about, is worth sacrificing to get a better product.

17 hours ago, Reros said:

Alright, but they probably still had some S-5s in reserve. It's not like I'm asking for Vikhr or aim120 or something. Just something that *could have reasonably been used* and also provides variety and a better product. It won't break the game, (because we are, in fact, playing a videogame). I think there are way larger issues with suspension of disbelief than having rockets that are still in stock be mounted on an aircraft they could totally be mounted on and probably would have if it came to conflict.

As far as I can read, S-13s would fit and be usable without any modification. Same argument as above, I suppose.

Anyway, I understand realism is an important issue, but in my opinion a *possible* 0.0000001% realism loss that 99.999% of people don't even know about, is worth sacrificing to get a better product.

No, most S-5s were mainly delegated to allies after that. Full S-8 rearmament. We are not dealing here in "what ifs". This is a simulator strives for realism, not a game. This sim has gotten this far because of its strong core values. You ask for this, others would ask for small changes on other aircraft, and all of a sudden the realism would be lost as a whole. We don´t deal that way here. Mi8MTV2 never mounted S-5s in Russia, that´s all there is to it. Realism above all.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, apparently ED itself already went somewhat liberal with realism about F-16 loadouts I believe, or with initially planned BS3 loadouts. Let's not even discuss 3rd party modules with some fantasy loadouts on MiG-21 as an example. But I kind of agree, I don't see the point in making things even worse.

On another note, wasn't there a custom mod available which added S-5 support for Mi-8? Or was it strictly visual? I think I saw it long ago in mods section, but my memory is fuzzy.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

19 minutes ago, corn322 said:

I prefer more options rather than less options. Who is to say what is or isn't "realistic" in a scenario I made up?

That is a wrong way to think about it. If ED was supposed to adjust itself to you only, or the masses, then we should have every possible loadout on every possible aircraft. And every possible aircraft should have the possibility to take off it´s wings, take out the engines, swap with a propeller and make a lawnmover, just because "my scenario". This doesn´t make any sense. This simulator strives for realism, and even as Art-J mentioned, there have been some liberties on (3-4 modules), however they were heavily criticised for a good reason. Hopefully with an understanding that people want ultimate realism here, not fantasy. This is a simulator for a good reason, and not a "build it yourself" game. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, zerO_crash said:

No, most S-5s were mainly delegated to allies after that. 

That's reason enough, IMO. Our Mi-8 isn't available only to the USSR. I think the S-5s would be fine on the Mi-8, that would allow for simulating ones from countries that did use the S-5 on it.

That said, the S-5 was pretty useless and it is doubly so in DCS. Not enough accuracy, not enough firepower, and DCS doesn't even model the very meager fragmentation that it has.

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That's reason enough, IMO. Our Mi-8 isn't available only to the USSR. I think the S-5s would be fine on the Mi-8, that would allow for simulating ones from countries that did use the S-5 on it.

That said, the S-5 was pretty useless and it is doubly so in DCS. Not enough accuracy, not enough firepower, and DCS doesn't even model the very meager fragmentation that it has.

The version of the specific Mi8MTV2 that we have, is a Soviet version, and this one didn’t have S-5 rockets at any point. This is not a quasi-version, but a specific one from Soviet Union. That’s all there is to it. Realism, that’s they keyword, not “almost-realism”.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you want realism, then both S-5 and S-130 should be allowed on the Mi-8, because there's nothing preventing them from being mounted. Can you say that after USSR broke up, none of them went to other countries that used (and still use) the S-5? I'd say it's more likely than not, though it's hard to say for sure, given that a Google search will just find DCS-related content and nothing else about this particular variant. And if it by some miracle wasn't, we have a bunch of skins for other countries, should they be removed? 

ED's policy is to allow loadouts that are physically possible, even if some of them are prohibited by policy. Our Mi-8 is capable of using the rockets in question. That's what they did on the Viper.