Why are screenshots so much nicer then the real game?

Hi. 

maybe a very stupid question. But when I compare the real game with a lot screenshots in the screenshot area (and preview movies). I noticed that especially the ground is much more detailed and nicer in the screens. 

Is this because of my system, I have all running smooth in Max specs with my RTX 3070. Or is it because some maps are newer and more detailed then others. 

I am on the free map. And did buy the F16. The cockpit and f16 look very nice. But the ground, buildings and airports are not so smooth. 

If it’s because the free map is already older and not so detailed developer. What are the most beautiful maps? Channel? 

regards. 

Where there are a ton of Variables why screenshots look better.. do you have any screenshots you are referring too and perhaps some of your own?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Heres some screenshots ive taken from the game without mods, and filters. The only think i do, is add the black bars to hide the info bar..

There are a few on Caucasus to show you what you can do with the F2 button.
All you need to know, is that you can 'change the lens' and get some really great shots when you apply the different views to different times of the day'.

Screen_210315_195539.png
This was the screenshot from my profile..
Im pretty sure i took it on medium detail too.

Is there a 'look' youre trying to achieve?

#1 Most screenshots are staged to look as nice as possible. This includes things like setting your graphic stuff all the way up. If you are just taking a picture, 10fps doesn't matter. The area, setting, and lighting can all be carefully manipulated for maximum effect.

#2 Modded graphics are a thing, including modded shaders. I use Mustang's textures as a literal ''do not play without'' and these days I've added Taz's mods to that list, too. A lot of people use ReShade, also, although imo it's no longer necessary. I did back in 1.5 days.

#3 Some maps are inherently more beautiful than others. They were not all made at the same time and some incorporate better technology and more details than others. If all you've played is Caucasus, you're missing 80% of the game's potential.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Aha clear. That’s the trick. Yes definitely I should go for more then just Caucasus. I hope to go for that. But after my new system. Trustmaster and F16. I need to share the costs a bid. What are nice maps? Canal looks great. Or is this just for WOII airplanes. Not the F16?

I will post some screenshots and try out with some mods aswel.  Thx for the tip!

Hi, 
Attached one screenshot. I think the plane and water is quite close, but especially the deck and carrier miss an lot detail. 

Or is this because shots are not taken with rain in the sunset?

This is my computer screenshot:

Screen_210330_210139.png

If you compare that with screenshots like here:

dcs-world-supercarrier-04.jpgdcs-world-supercarrier-05.jpg

Edited by CooperS

The supercarrier is a separate product, much more detailed than the one you get in the game for free.

Also the sun is set just right to bring out more detail from the surface. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes. I did purchase the super carrier. Also updated some more settings. And now it’s indeed becoming more close. With the right angle. 😉 

Anyhow. It’s already looking great. But just wanted to know how to get the max out of it. Thx for the tips/help. 

Even without using 3rd party shaders and such you can get beautiful results just by setting the time of day / weather to something different than noon/clear sky. The latter looks quite boring indeed, but DCS is quite beautiful in the "magic hours" of photography, and because of the new clouds this will only get better 😉

You'd be surprised how much lighting affects even the perceived quality of an old map such as Caucasus.

That being said, I am one of those people who uses 3rd party terrain and even 3rd party trees (just for Caucasus), which especially for helicopter flying makes a huge difference. There are so many out there though, it's really about finding out which one(s) look(s) best to you, through trial-and-error.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset