F/F Datalink/ Link-4C

BreaKKer

My squadron recently had a combat flight where we had no AWACS. F/F datalink was briefed for this contingency, and we all went onto a common datalink frequency. Though, the tomcats of Panther 1 flight, and Panther 2 flight(my flight) were unable to communicate. Addresses for the Jester tomcats were stuck on their preset wingman number, and the reply switch remained in CANC. 

So, I have some requests.

1. ability to edit datalink addresses in the Jester datalink menu

2. add the reply switch NORM function to jester's list of F/F datalink procedure

3. add the ability for tomcats to communicate with other tomcats outside of their own flight.

If you would like to test this to prove me wrong, you can hop on a multiplayer server with a friend. Both select 2 different aircraft in 2 different flights. Then, set F/F datalink to the same frequency. 

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

This is not a bug, it's per design as the part of the adress that usually sets flight id isn't editable from the cockpit by the crew. It needs to be set externally on the aircraft by the groundcrew. We have been discussing adding this to the kneeboard to allow aircraft from different flights to communicate but haven't decided on anything yet. This still won't allow the player to change the datalink "flight id" in the air though, just the part that usually denotes the number in the flight.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

This is not a bug, it's per design as the part of the adress that usually sets flight id isn't editable from the cockpit by the crew. It needs to be set externally on the aircraft by the groundcrew. We have been discussing adding this to the kneeboard to allow aircraft from different flights to communicate but haven't decided on anything yet. This still won't allow the player to change the datalink "flight id" in the air though, just the part that usually denotes the number in the flight.

Could also be done via the ME as an option? Alternatively via the ground crew comms menu (similar to flares or codes in other modules)?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Naquaii said:

This is not a bug, it's per design as the part of the address that usually sets flight id isn't editable from the cockpit by the crew. It needs to be set externally on the aircraft by the groundcrew. We have been discussing adding this to the kneeboard to allow aircraft from different flights to communicate but haven't decided on anything yet. This still won't allow the player to change the datalink "flight id" in the air though, just the part that usually denotes the number in the flight.

Yep, that's why I didn't stick it in bugs and problems. The F-14 manual says that's how it works, which is why I had it as a request. Tomcats from other flights would have been very helpful in the scenario my squadron was in. Thanks

• Like 1

BreaKKer

11 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Could also be done via the ME as an option? Alternatively via the ground crew comms menu (similar to flares or codes in other modules)?

Agreed - the Tomcat already handles other special options (preset ICLS, preset TACAN, LAU-138 w. chaff, laser code, KY-58 key and gun burst setting there too).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

16 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Agreed - the Tomcat already handles other special options (preset ICLS, preset TACAN, LAU-138 w. chaff, laser code, KY-58 key and gun burst setting there too).

Yes, but then on servers like hoggit where the players don't choose their address, they wouldn't be able to communicate with tomcats taken off of other airfields/carriers. I think the kneeboard thing would be more ideal, just like editing laser codes.

BreaKKer