Is my own radar locking my Sparrows after launch?

SmoglessPanic

It seems lately when I launch Sparrow missiles they don't seem to track after flying past my nose, I notice the crosshairs for what I believe is the TV camera briefly locks on to the Sparrow before moving back to the locked bandit.

This doesn't seem to happen when I'm slightly offset form the locked bandit and the Sparrows seem to track better in these cases, could be confirmation bias but I figured I would ask. 

I know Sparrows aren't the greatest missile and the slightest thing can cause them to not track, I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy here.

Thanks

So Jester definitely has a bit of a Sparrow fetish and will occasionally track them on TCS during their fly out. It shouldn't effect your radar or the quality of your track, the radar and TCS are not necessarily coupled. The state of radar guided missiles is also a bit... iffy right now due to ED playing with a couple of things over the last couple of months (like EW). 

12 hours ago, SmoglessPanic said:

It seems lately when I launch Sparrow missiles they don't seem to track after flying past my nose...

Yeah, you are not alone with that. If your target is technically capable of ECM your Aim-7M will go stupid instantly after launch 100%, you can only use them against cargo planes and some other targets without the capability of ECM atm. It's funny that the same missile fired from the F/A-18 works perfectly fine in the same conditions against the same targets. It looks like atm the most leathal loadout for the F-14 is a all Sidewinder loadout. In my little AA testmission the Aim-54 is a little hit or miss, it looks like the missile is doing some tokyo drift wobble maneuvers to intercept the target and bleeds energy just to go dumb and glide into the ground(guessing here). I don't know if HB is aware of that(Aim-7M), there was no reaction to the bug report thread opened by falconxr8sonic so it is unknown if they read it or not but on the other hand it looks like they generally don't mark bug reports like ED does....:dunno:

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

46 minutes ago, near_blind said:

Heatblur's missile is a copy of ED's missile. Its ED's issue to fix.

Did you actually look in the bug thread?

- F-14 shooting Aim-7M against Su-24 100% MISS rate because missile goes instantly dumb leaving the rail

- F-18 shooting Aim-7M against Su-24 100% HIT rate because missile goes NOT instantly dumb leaving the rail

I'm not blaming anybody here i'm just curious why? So save your bite reflex for yourself, i don't care about ED/HB fanboy-ism. For more details have a look into the bug report, everything is explained so you could test it yourself, watch the trackfiles....

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings