Offset waypoints

leon737

18 minutes ago, leon737 said:

Addition to my previous post: I expect the NAV WP offset based on bearing/distance from reference waypoint.

Offset in hornet will create an OAP associated with the given WP. So if I start with WP 5 placed on the LSV beacon, then entering an offset of 5 miles north will create an OAP 5 miles north of the LSV beacon. To access steering to this point you press the WYPT pushtile on the UFC once to steer to the original point, then once again to cycle it to OAP which will provide steering to the offset created.

Its not like A-10 where you can create a waypoint proper from the offset data.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Yes, that's correct.

The difference from well known logic (most of civil FMGS, A-10 as you noted as well) is that you don't create an offset waypoint as a new waypoint in sequence, but as an extra posit for the reference waypoint.

But we're still able to see that OAP on HSI/SA formats (badly not on A/A ATK RDR in sim implementation), steer to that waypoint, TGDSG to that waypoint, copy to markpoint.

That all I need.

5 minutes ago, norman99 said:

I'd imagine that the real benefit of OAPs would be in a non GPS environment,with proper INS drift simulated, and AG radar waypoint updating enabled. Hopefully this is where we eventually end up.

Hornets INS doesn't appreciably drift, this isn't F14. I'm also curious what people imagine a GPS denied environment is. I always thought GPS jamming was more focused than denying an entire airspace. So either the enemy know exactly where you are, in which case you have bigger problems than a miniscule amount of INS drift. Or a vast amount of the constellation is down, in which case you have bigger problems than a miniscule amount of INS drift.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2