Hi all 

I aksed this questions also in the steam forums but since there are mostly steam user (so I would guess) I also wanted to hear you standalone guys.

I'm new in DCS but kind of hooked at first glance 😉 I'm 52 years old and grew up with Flightsimulations like "Tornado" "F16-Falcon" "Janes F15" and many more. Long story short, I came to stay!

I ordered a Virpil Hotas (it will be here soon) to replace my T-1600 and I also bought a Track-IR wich I looove btw.

Right now I only own the DCS Steam World and the FC3 also on steam.

I just saw the pre sale video of the comming Mi-24P Hind and that got me thinking.

Should I stay on steam with DCS or should I go standalone? Because I'm at the first steps on my DCS journey I want to make this decision now.

But I can't really decide ;( and therefore need your help fellow pilots

what are your arguments for the one or the other way to play this amazing sim?

thanks a lot for your help in advance!

greetings
Loopan

My thoughts from the top of my head...

1. Steam might be cheaper, but standalone pays more to ED and 3rd parties. Sales/"free to play" seems to last longer on standalone.
2. You can collect your modules on Steam, but use them in Standalone as well. Use'em both places in other words.
3. Things seems to be released first on Standalone.
4. Might be more natural to handle mods and relocations on Standalone.

I've never used Steam version, though I bought my first modules on Steam. I then changed my mind and went full support on ED/3rd parties.
I use both stable and Open Beta, and share several settings between them.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

If you want support ED as much as you can, then go for Standalone.

• Like 2

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

8 minutes ago, Flia said:

If you want support ED as much as you can, then go for Standalone.

This. Valve makes enough money already. I bought the first couple of modules on Steam to try it out. I didn't realize I would get hooked like I did. Before buying the next round of modules I transferred the modules to standalone, switched to the open beta version, and haven't looked back.

• Like 3

I don't see ANY reason to go with steam. Sales often start earlier and last longer on ED than Steam. I don't really see in which way Steam is cheaper. You don't need the stupid Steam-launcher at all. You get updates and betas at the soonest possible time and so on...

The most important reason was already stated: It's a better way to support the creators!

Edit: Full disclosure - I started with steam myself and thanks to the possibility that ED offers to import licenses from steam I was able to correct that!

The reason, if I remember correctly, to change to ED was the open beta availablity. I'm impatient. 😅

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

ok, thank you guys a lot.

You convinced me to change over to standalone and in a mather of fact I already did and was able to take the FC3 also to the standalone version w/o any problems.
The main argument here was to support ED at fullest for their amazing work!

I'm looking forward to all the new things I'll learn step by step 🙂

• Like 3

Good choice sir 🙂

• Like 1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II