Which module of the second world war? Thank you

Ravent

A question for a newbie. I want to start in the aircraft simulation, specifically in the second world war.

From the available modules I am visually like by the P-47, my question is: is it a good module to start with? what advantage and disadvantage has this aircraft with respect to the other available modules?

I'm trying to find a plane that will allow me to do a little bit of everything and not have a specific role.

Is it true that this plane is quite inferior to the p-51? I have read that it is very slow and for air combat it does not work. But I really don't know if it's true or speculation.

By the way, I am inclined to American planes, even though I live in Germany. lol

thank you very much for the help

Depends if you learn quick.

All WWII planes can do both air and ground attack, some more limited than others.

The P-47 is rather unique because of the radial engine and the turbo charger. It behaves relativly seen different to the other Warbirds.

The easiest to start with would be the Fw-190D9, with a wide automatisation and easy handling, you can solely focus on flying and learning the quircks of a prop plane. A8 is similar but the radial engine gives it one or two more things to look after. Bf-109K4 is also very automatised, but the gear construction might makes it a bit difficult at first.

The allied props a tiny bit less automatised, specifically in terms of engine management. P-51 and TF-51 (this one is for free and you should try it out before buying) are also easy to fly and good alrounders (except the TF-51 because no armament at all). You could compare it to the D9. Spitfire is similar to K4, might be difficult at first, but a joy to fly. P-47 needs more attention to engine management, but is also easy to fly. Good attacker but might be challenging to do air combat with it, since it's big and heavy. Still more than capable to do so though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moin Ravent,

ich antworte mal auf deutsch. Bin fast ganz bei razo+r.

Als Einstieg ist die Dora9, Fw190, Bf109 oder Spit die beste Wahl. Motormanagement, Take-off & Landing mit ein bißchen Übung schnell erlernbar.

Bei Taxiing die Spit nicht so einfach. Wenn die Radbremsen nicht getrennt belegt werden können, dass musst du schon üben!

Bei der Landung ist es die Bf109, sie ist diejenige die hier die meisten Übung erfordert.

Die P47 ist in Handhabung was Start und Landung betrifft ebenfalls einfach, aber sie hat mit das anspruchvollste Motordesign. "Turbosupercharger"!!!

Die Mustang ist meiner Meinung nach die schwierigste von allen. Du kannst zwar den Motor einfach starten, aber du musst ihn im Auge behalten.

Und sie ist sehr zickig was ihre Grenzbereiche bezüglich Stall und abkippen im Kurvenflug angeht. Hier verzeiht sie weniger als die anderen. Sobald du zu langsam wirst, weil du zu steil abkippst oder zu stark die Kurve anziehst neigt sie sofort auszubrechen und ins Trudeln zu geraten. Du musst bei ihr sehr auf die Geschwindigkeit achten.

Spaß machen sie aber alle wenn man(n) dran bleibt!!! Hier heißt es wirklich Üben, Üben, Üben! Es ist eine Simulation, kein Game im weiteren Sinn.

P.S. Die Mossie wird wohl die Herausforderung!😆😅🤣

Edited by Jandar
  • Thanks 1

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Jandar said:

P.S. Die Mossie wird wohl die Herausforderung!😆😅🤣

P.S. The Mossie will probably be the challenge! 😆😅🤣

Aye, if people think they are going to be dogfighting at tree top height flying circles at 150mph in the Mosquito they are going to be very  very disappointed.

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Mogster:

Aye, if people think they are going to be dogfighting at tree top height flying circles at 150mph in the Mosquito they are going to be very  very disappointed.

Think so too, the strength of Bf109 & Fw190A was BFM between 0-10kf and Dora 9 brilliant at all areas. Spit best performance 10-20kf, the US P47&51 high alt, means 20-35kf.

Spit&A8 turn fighters, the other energy fighters.

cu on server in MP!🥳🤪😂😂

Edited by Jandar
  • Thanks 1

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would say to this you learn how to take and land with the TF-51D it is part of the basic game.     It cost nothing and It is a great stepping stone into any WW II aircraft .    well worth the effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

On 3/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, Mogster said:

Well, if a player thinks a 190D9 can slow down and turn with a mosquito, he too is going to be very disappointed. And dead 😉

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Stall speed at 17k pounds is 120mph for clear configuration so this give idea of slow speed handling of the mosquito.

P-51D at 9.5k pounds clean config stall speed is 103mph this give clear idea how mosquito will behave at slow speeds.

Not too well.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

11 hours ago, grafspee said:

Stall speed at 17k pounds is 120mph for clear configuration so this give idea of slow speed handling of the mosquito.

P-51D at 9.5k pounds clean config stall speed is 103mph this give clear idea how mosquito will behave at slow speeds.

Not too well.

120 is takeoff speed. FB.VI Pilot notes say stall speed power off is 105 mph, power on “under typical approach conditions” is 90-95 mph. The low-speed stall is said to be very docile with little tendency of dropping a wing, with ample warning 10 mph before the stall, which means a pilot can safely fly very close to the edge.

Googling, I think you may have got the 120 mph from Wikipedia. Wikipedia gives 127 mph stall speed for the 190D9 by the way - this is still higher than the mossie.

• Thanks 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

8 hours ago, Bozon said:

120 is takeoff speed. FB.VI Pilot notes say stall speed power off is 105 mph, power on “under typical approach conditions” is 90-95 mph. The low-speed stall is said to be very docile with little tendency of dropping a wing, with ample warning 10 mph before the stall, which means a pilot can safely fly very close to the edge.

Googling, I think you may have got the 120 mph from Wikipedia. Wikipedia gives 127 mph stall speed for the 190D9 by the way - this is still higher than the mossie.

Nope i didn't take data from Wikipedia.

c5bq9pr.png

Yes stall speed for power on is lower but it is still 104-110mph under typical approach conditions so for relatively light plane.

About D-9 stall speed i don't know, i have no D-9 manuals or any trials documents.

I only know that it flies very similar to P-51 based on DCS experience.

D-9 with much higher power to weigh ration wont be an easy target.

Stall speed is not finally word ofc win will go for plane which can sustain that low speed and not bleed energy and go down.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Neil Williams wrote that the Mosquito was surprisingly sluggish below 200kts and morphed into a shark above it.

He says that swinging on takeoff due to asymetric power from the engines was a common problem, although it probably won’t be in DCS. Safety speed on 1 engine was 180kts, achieving this speed was difficult as with the massive landing gear down you could only do 140kts with the throttles firewalled. Landing gear gear retraction was ponderously slow so once in the air you had to struggle along waiting for the gear to retract hoping one of your engines didn’t pack in... Once the gears up it accelerated well but not as quickly as a Spitfire. Landing required keeping the speed up as once the gear comes down you’re struggling to stay in the air. A 30point landing keeps the small tail surfaces in the airflow, once the drops swinging can happen as on takeoff.

43 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Neil Williams wrote that the Mosquito was surprisingly sluggish below 200kts and morphed into a shark above it.

He says that swinging on takeoff due to asymmetric power from the engines was a common problem, although it probably won’t be in DCS. 

I hope not, this asymmetric power is very important thing for flying plane prior to any engine synch tech. For max power you go all the way on the throttle and prop speed rpm, but for climb or cruise you need to sync your engines at MP and rpm gauges, not every time same throttle or prop levers gives same results.

15 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I hope not, this asymmetric power is very important thing for flying plane prior to any engine synch tech. For max power you go all the way on the throttle and prop speed rpm, but for climb or cruise you need to sync your engines at MP and rpm gauges, not every time same throttle or prop levers gives same results.

By asymetric power I feel he means the engines producing different power levels due to build or wear. That’s what I mean when I say it won’t be a problem in DCS, you always start with new engines. In real life I’d imagine it’d be quite a serious issue.

I’m aware there is a random element to performance with the DCS warbirds but will it extend to two different engines?

• Like 1

I think, one opportunity to get big difference in power output is to warm up one of the engine improperly, that one engine get serious spark plug fouling. 

Then you will get strong yawing at take off at full power 🙂