Sidewinder only in Borsight-mode

stingray77

Hi!

Pretty new to DCS, I am currently delving into the F-14. The in-game Training and youtube-videos do help a lot...

I am encountering a problem when using the Sidewinders, though...

I have a VKB-F-14 stick with the buttons assigned to the (what I think) appropriate controls - when putting the stick's weapon-selector from "off" two notches up, I am getting the Sidewinders selected. BUT I am not getting the "Double-D"-search-mode but the Boresight-mode, instead (despite the MODE/STP showing "Norm") - clicking on that switch does not change this and the system remains in Borsight - despite MODE/STP changing between "Norm" and "BRST".

Have I screwed the assigned buttons, or what is the solution to this?

Thanks for your help

Oliver

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i7 10700KF CPU @ 3.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB. 1TB SSD, VKB Gunfighter III F-14 Stick, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 with Pro Clip, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Logitech Performance MX Mouse, Sony KD-55X8005C

The double D pattern wasn’t historically accurate for SEAM on the F-14 and it was removed from the sim some time ago. SEAM still works and the seeker head will still cover the same area, you just won’t see it searching in the HUD.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Perfectly fine with me if it's historically accurate... 😉

So, what's the procedure, then? I am getting the high tone, when the target is in the pipper - then CAGE SEAM is to be pressed to slave the seeker on-target?

Okay, I'll have to master that then...

Again: thanks a lot!

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i7 10700KF CPU @ 3.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB. 1TB SSD, VKB Gunfighter III F-14 Stick, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 with Pro Clip, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Logitech Performance MX Mouse, Sony KD-55X8005C

IIrc, Cage/SEAM either slews the seeker to the radar (if you have something locked) or initiates the search pattern (even though it doesn't show up on radar). The procedure is just to press the button when either you get a lock through e.g. VSL, or your ADL is pointed roughly at the bandit.

Thanks - I kept working on/with it some time yesterday and I think I'm slowly closing in on it... 😉

Just like with the PLM (I have to remember that the target has to be within 5NM...)

I have assigned Cage/SEAM to my Warthog Throttle's Slew Push-Button...

...and...

PLM to the Coolie's Up

PSST to its Down

VSL Hi to its Left

VSL Lo to its Right...

I'll have to keep using it for some time so see if that's good, or I want to change (maybe Cage/SEAM to the Left Throttle Button and PLM to the Slew Push - more like it is in reality...)

Edited by stingray77

Good hint - thanks!

Aaahm, now that you say that, where can I find that in the controls? I can't remember having seen PAL when assigning buttons.....

Edited by stingray77

Thanks a lot, mate 😉 - I will assign buttons right away... 

edit: found it and done... thx again.

Edited by stingray77