Jump to content

Curved Monitor...waste of money?


Recommended Posts

I have a 32" IPS 1440p 75Hz LG flat screen ATM. I love the picture and it was quite cheap at $220 USD (Costco), but my son is moving out right away and long story short, I have an opportunity to replace my screen. I use it exclusively for gaming, mostly flight sims (DCS, IL2), but also strategy games, Squad, and Dirt Rally 2. I was looking at this one:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112654

Or this:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00113791

I don't know though if I want an Ultrawide as it really shrinks vertically from what I have now (16.7 vs 14.3"). Seems too skinny. I have a 3070/5600X. High refresh rates really don't matter that much to me, nor do I care about 4K or VR. Thoughts? Is the curve worth the upgrade?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a curved 27" for nearly two years now. sadly dont have the space for a bigger one 🙂

At first i got to get used to the new view, but after a few hours of using the Monitor, i feld in love with the Curved. I do not only play, im also working with the screen. My Eyes dont get tired even after sittin a whole day in front of it. the focus is always the same, its great.

And for DCS its very nice to use with Headtracking.

i will never get back to a normal screen, its worth every penny in my oppinion 🙂

A friend of mine uses an Ultra wide and he is very satisfied with it, he plays DCS and Star Citizen with it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aleader said:

I have a 32" IPS 1440p 75Hz LG flat screen ATM. I love the picture and it was quite cheap at $220 USD (Costco), but my son is moving out right away and long story short, I have an opportunity to replace my screen. I use it exclusively for gaming, mostly flight sims (DCS, IL2), but also strategy games, Squad, and Dirt Rally 2. I was looking at this one:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112654

Or this:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00113791

I don't know though if I want an Ultrawide as it really shrinks vertically from what I have now (16.7 vs 14.3"). Seems too skinny. I have a 3070/5600X. High refresh rates really don't matter that much to me, nor do I care about 4K or VR. Thoughts? Is the curve worth the upgrade?

I have a flatscreen 34inch ultrawide flanked by two 27inch monitors. It turns out that the pixel height is the same, which results in a matching vertical between the monitors. I personally avoid curved screens as I do enough video and photo editing for the curved features to get to my head. Straight lines on curved screens aren't really straight anymore. Anything less than a 34inch ultrawide and you start getting the mail-slot effect. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was using (and still use daily) a predator X34 and it waas great for DCS using TrackIR and the proclip. I went VR just before Xmas so don't use it for DCS anymore, but it was good and not really anything negative to say about it tbh

  • Like 1

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a very large 48" TV as a display. Due to the floor mounted stick I'm sitting pretty far from the edge of my desk and a smaller display made it difficult to read instruments.

I tried a big ultrawide curved display but I missed the vertical fov. I found it very difficult to dogfight with the thin landscape fov (which is quite unrealistic too, if you think about it).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zildac said:

I was using (and still use daily) a predator X34 and it waas great for DCS using TrackIR and the proclip. I went VR just before Xmas so don't use it for DCS anymore, but it was good and not really anything negative to say about it tbh

 

I could get an X34 locally used (not the superior X34P), but the guy wants $800 CAD and won't budge, which is way too much.  I use a TrackHat clip (have had TrackIR too...flimsy, broke) and sit a good ways back in my custom flight chair, so I like having the 32" as 27" is too small.  I'm thinking now that the skinny vertical of the Ultrawide will be even more pronounced though from a distance. 

 

I've waffled on VR, but I have Cougar MFDs already (on a separate 11.6" screen) and I worry about the poor resolution and performance I keep hearing about in DCS, and the risk of motion sickness, which many seem to experience.  Maybe if ED fixes the performance issues someday...

8 hours ago, Grennymaster said:

I got a curved 27" for nearly two years now. sadly dont have the space for a bigger one 🙂

At first i got to get used to the new view, but after a few hours of using the Monitor, i feld in love with the Curved. I do not only play, im also working with the screen. My Eyes dont get tired even after sittin a whole day in front of it. the focus is always the same, its great.

And for DCS its very nice to use with Headtracking.

i will never get back to a normal screen, its worth every penny in my oppinion 🙂

A friend of mine uses an Ultra wide and he is very satisfied with it, he plays DCS and Star Citizen with it.

 

 

Thanks, I'm thinking I may go with the first option (32" curved).  You hear lots of differing opinions in reviews.  Some absolutely hate the curved screen.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

800 CAD is way too much, I have a X34P and my old X34 was up for £350 GBP and I struggled to sell it here in the UK. In regards to VR, I must admit that when I went from the res of the X34 to my G2 (first VR HMD I've ever owned) I was a little underwhelmed at the clarity, by comparison. However, after a few days of using it I could never go back to 2D even given the (current) better visuals. In regards to motion sickness I felt a minimal amount of it but it passes and you quickly adjust. I would say that if you do go VR and a G2 for example you really do need the hardware to drive it though. The immersion far outweighs the increased visual clarity of a 2D setup. But the cost can mount up if your existing rig needs upgrading to accomodate.

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, zildac said:

800 CAD is way too much, I have a X34P and my old X34 was up for £350 GBP and I struggled to sell it here in the UK. In regards to VR, I must admit that when I went from the res of the X34 to my G2 (first VR HMD I've ever owned) I was a little underwhelmed at the clarity, by comparison. However, after a few days of using it I could never go back to 2D even given the (current) better visuals. In regards to motion sickness I felt a minimal amount of it but it passes and you quickly adjust. I would say that if you do go VR and a G2 for example you really do need the hardware to drive it though. The immersion far outweighs the increased visual clarity of a 2D setup. But the cost can mount up if your existing rig needs upgrading to accomodate.

 

Yah, he's on glue.  I've also read that making out ground targets in VR can be very difficult.  I play mostly helicopters, Harrier, A10 II, and the F18.  I watch Rod White (youtube) and he has quit with VR completely because of the performance issues (he plays with a 2080 Super I believe).  I have a 3070/5600x, so I should easily be able to play in VR.  You are obviously one of the lucky ones with VR as I have heard far too many stories of people being bed-ridden for several hours and sometimes days after playing in VR.  All the games I want to play are the main ones that cause VR sickness (flight sims and racing).  Until I can try it out somewhere in a flight sim, I just can't spend the cash on what may end up a high-priced doorstop. 

 

On the monitor, I don't think I'll be getting a curved one at all as even the 32" non-Ultrawides are very skinny vertically (14.3").  I didn't realize they were all like that. 


Edited by aleader
  • Like 1

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play DCS with a 38“ curved screen from LG (LG38UC99) and I love my screen so far. Before I played DCS with a 27“ screen and it‘s a big difference. I bought my LG screen especially for DCS as it‘s the only game or sim I currently game. Yes it was the money worth and really like that die he screen is curved as it gives you a much more realistic and immersive experience

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Weasel said:

I play DCS with a 38“ curved screen from LG (LG38UC99) and I love my screen so far. Before I played DCS with a 27“ screen and it‘s a big difference. I bought my LG screen especially for DCS as it‘s the only game or sim I currently game. Yes it was the money worth and really like that die he screen is curved as it gives you a much more realistic and immersive experience

 

The shrunken vertical dimension doesn't bother you though?  I suppose if you had a 27" it would be the same, but it's a rather noticeable jump going to a 32" (my son has a 27").

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 38" ultrawide is as tall as 30" regular monitor. 

A 34" ultrawide is as tall as 27" regular monitor. 

 

I went from 32" 16:9 to 38" ultrawide, and while it's a bit shorter, it's not bothering me. But I wouldn't want to go from 32" to 34", the latter is actually smaller. 

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using a 50" Acer flat, and there is enough surface to give a nice feel of immersion for me. My normal gaming PC are using a 34" Ultrawide Predator.


Edited by Bedouin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spartans - Molon Labe

Link to post
Share on other sites
Am 29.3.2021 um 16:25 schrieb aleader:

 

I could get an X34 locally used (not the superior X34P), but the guy wants $800 CAD and won't budge, which is way too much.  I use a TrackHat clip (have had TrackIR too...flimsy, broke) and sit a good ways back in my custom flight chair, so I like having the 32" as 27" is too small.  I'm thinking now that the skinny vertical of the Ultrawide will be even more pronounced though from a distance. 

 

I've waffled on VR, but I have Cougar MFDs already (on a separate 11.6" screen) and I worry about the poor resolution and performance I keep hearing about in DCS, and the risk of motion sickness, which many seem to experience.  Maybe if ED fixes the performance issues someday...

 

Thanks, I'm thinking I may go with the first option (32" curved).  You hear lots of differing opinions in reviews.  Some absolutely hate the curved screen.

very welcome 🙂 yeah everyone likes different things 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, some1 said:

A 38" ultrawide is as tall as 30" regular monitor. 

A 34" ultrawide is as tall as 27" regular monitor. 

 

I went from 32" 16:9 to 38" ultrawide, and while it's a bit shorter, it's not bothering me. But I wouldn't want to go from 32" to 34", the latter is actually smaller. 

 

Which 38" is that?  The ones I see all have heights of 14.7", which is still a full 2" shorter than my 32".  It's also only 0.4" taller than the 34".  The Gigabyte G34WQC is only $599 CAD, and I've seen it as low as $500.  I can't find anything larger than 34" for under $1,000, and most are around $2,000, which is way more than I'm willing to spend.  I can get a nice 65" OLED TV for that price.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the 38" are expensive and 34" format is like a usual 27" but wider.

 

You can compare various sizes here: http://www.displaywars.com/

Also keep in mind that many monitors are not actually 32 but 31.5", it's written in their tech specs.

 

A TV is always a cheaper option if you go for the size and have enough space to fit it on your desk, but many models have problems with image quality, input lag, lack of support for variable refresh rate or high FPS at all. It's best to research a particular model that you want to buy and check if it works well when connected to a computer. 

 

 


Edited by some1

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest dream would be a 49“ ultrawidescreen like this one from Samsung (LC49RG90SSUXEN)

The only problem is that it is very tall (maybe as tall as a 27“ regular screen) but for a 49“ screen I wish it would be much taller

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Weasel said:

My biggest dream would be a 49“ ultrawidescreen like this one from Samsung (LC49RG90SSUXEN)

The only problem is that it is very tall (maybe as tall as a 27“ regular screen) but for a 49“ screen I wish it would be much taller

I use the Samsung LC49RG90SSUXEN at 5120 x 1440 with 2080 Ti and it is superb, I have tried VR but the lack of resolution and detail is such a backward step never persevered. The monitor is effectively 2 x 27” which is how I use it in desktop mode allowing 2 full screens available for multiple tasks 

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...