What to upgrade to play @ 4xAA?

My current specs are:

i3 10100

B460m pro

32gb DDR4

512gb SSD NVMe M.2

GTX1650

What do i need to upgrade to get at least 60fps with vsync or 100+ fps if i want to up my anti-aliasing to 4x?

..in non-vr, single player offline situations only..

I was kinda thinking of getting a better GPU, but not sure if that would do it^^;

Thanks^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You'll need a much heftier graphics card, and probably a new motherboard and CPU with an unlocked multiplier that can run at well over 4.0 GHz on all cores.

AD

• Thanks 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

The problem is, for example if you upgrade one component like GPU, the CPU or the RAM will drag it down to the CPU or RAM lvl, so in order to get high performance you need all the components to carry the same weight,

for games you don't need 32GB of RAM (dunno if you are into something else as well, editing etc), 16 is enough, 16GB 3600 MHz RAM is much better than 32GB 2400MHz, cause the game and few programs you have around wont take as much RAM, but you'll have higher speed.

Anyways yea you would need to upgrade everything, but you don't have to go for the latest stuff, for example your CPU i3 10100 works at 3.6GHz you can get i5 10600k which has more cored and threads, the K means it can be overclocked and it will work at 4.8GHz, altho I'd suggest if you are gonna upgrade to go for Ryzen5 if your able to.

The prices of components atm are ridiculous, specially graphics cards, those are skyrocketing in prices, I can sell my used graphic card for more than I payed for it ;D

So I'd suggest to wait, until prices go back to normal, if that ever happens.

• Thanks 1

Was in your shoes 5 years ago...

DCS is still being refined and (for me), it's the CPU that was holding me back...I burnt up 2 AMD CPU's trying to fly this sim (FX-8350)..

So your wishlist should be...

upgrade your CPU to either an i7 or i9 (there are some good sales to look out for)

upgrade your GPU....good luck on that one...they are in short supply..if you stick with Nvidia, look for a RTX 2000 series

2nd SSD for DCS only (500gb).

You are not gonna get what you want until you spend money on a new (current) PC....in DCS!!

of note...what settings and what performance are you getting currently?

• Thanks 1

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

16GB 3600 MHz RAM is much better than 32GB 2400MHz

His CPU won't use higher clocks than 2666 for memory and 32GB is more than welcome for DCS MP.

Btw 10100 can go turbo up to 4.3GHz.

@pauldyTurn off AA and see if you get the desired fps. If no - you'll need better CPU first. Otherwise - just get the better card.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

His CPU won't use higher clocks than 2666 for memory and 32GB is more than welcome for DCS MP.

Btw 10100 can go turbo up to 4.3GHz.

Yea that's true, his CPU will bottle neck the RAM that's why I said everything has carry the same weight, if you read my whole post.

You don't need more than 16GB of RAM for DCS if you have stuff set up correctly, 16 is advisable cause you'll probably have other stuff running along.

I have i5 9600kf, 16GB at 3600MHz, my DCS uses about 4 to 6 GB ram on MP servers.

i3 10100 can go turbo to 4.3GHz but his MB can't support that, which will result in a system crash.

Edit:

Screenshot (11).png

This is the most I pulled on a full server, I have max preload radius and full view distance

Edited by Furiz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

I have i5 9600kf, 16GB at 3600MHz

You must run it on Z490 then because your i5 has exactly the same official limit but the XMP profile with that chip allows for faster RAM settings.

I'm curious why would his mobo not support Intel Turbo? Even my cheap H410 can run this CPU at 4.3GHz.

I'd like to know what special settings you have that you can run DCS MP with such low RAM numbers.

I know I have rare occasional pauses even in SP with 16GB. A good mission with F-14 on PG can make it happen.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

You must run it on Z490 then because your i5 has exactly the same official limit but the XMP profile with that chip allows for faster RAM settings.

I'm curious why would his mobo not support Intel Turbo? Even my cheap H410 can run this CPU at 4.3GHz.

I'd like to know what special settings you have that you can run DCS MP with such low RAM numbers.

I know I have rare occasional pauses even in SP with 16GB. A good mission with F-14 on PG can make it happen.

I have Gigabyte Z390D, i5 9600KF, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, Strix RTX 2060 Super with 8GB, M.2 SSD 3500 MB/s Read, I have it on MB XMP overclock setting and that's it, no special settings and shenanigans ;D

Well those Z series for Intel and X series for Ryzen come with higher quality materials than other MBs, which results in better performance cause of the higher power supply capability, those B series etc... may advertise what ever they want they are cheaper for one reason only, lower quality build and that's it.

So these Z boards series are allowed to have the frequency multiplier increased above the stock values by Intel but only with K CPUs like the one I have, same goes for X series for AMD. Which in the end results in higher RAM frequency and faster data processing. All that high performance requires power, which these Z or X MBs can support, those mid and lower end MBs will maybe let you overclock but it wont work as good, cause of lower power supply capability.

Also with intel only the K series processors have their clock unlocked, Ryzen has the clock unlocked on every of their models.

Edited by Furiz
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I wasn't talking about OC. Just factory default Intel Turbo Boost tech available on all chipsets without stability issues.

Ok but Turbo Boost is essentially overclock, cause what it does is that it increases the core clock when there is heavy workload, so it basically overclocks when its needed, otherwise it works on normal clock speed.

And yea they wont cause stability issues but they will still act as oveclocked CPU when there is heavy workload, since DCS takes hours your Turbo Boosted CPU works with overclock (Turbo Boost) for hours,

so while running games like DCS it is basically a K series CPU on a low end motherboard:P

22 hours ago, MPalmer said:

of note...what settings and what performance are you getting currently?

This are my settings. I settled for 2xMSAA as disabling it, makes it too jaggy & that the F-15's HUD becomes harder to read...
==
I can enable 4xMSAA w/ more or less smooth fps most of the time, ..provided the cloud cover is 3/8 or less and not flying over major cities.

Anyways thanks all again for the replies/answers/suggestions

Sorry again if I may ask,

If I aim for an i7 or i9 cpu with a suitable GPU for it, I'd need to change my power supply right? I have a 550w corsair psu.
and that the higher spec a PC is, the more power it consumes and higher electric bills?

and my B460m board is for the intel series right? if i want to shift to Ryzen CPU, I'd need a new compatible board for it?

Screen_210330_200740.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In most cases you won't need better power supply unless you go crazy with high end stuff, OC or double cards. Better performing hardware is more power demanding but newer hardware is also made in newer higher tech process which balance out that demands making it run on the same PSU. You can find exact max power demands in the Internet for any hardware. For Ryzen you'd need to go with new AMD board.

Try with textures on medium and terrain textures on low just to check if it makes a difference for you both visually and performance wise.

Hardware like Furiz has is a good step higher.

• Thanks 1

This are my settings. I settled for 2xMSAA as disabling it, makes it too jaggy & that the F-15's HUD becomes harder to read...
==
I can enable 4xMSAA w/ more or less smooth fps most of the time, ..provided the cloud cover is 3/8 or less and not flying over major cities.

Anyways thanks all again for the replies/answers/suggestions

Sorry again if I may ask,

If I aim for an i7 or i9 cpu with a suitable GPU for it, I'd need to change my power supply right? I have a 550w corsair psu.
and that the higher spec a PC is, the more power it consumes and higher electric bills?

and my B460m board is for the intel series right? if i want to shift to Ryzen CPU, I'd need a new compatible board for it?
Screen_210330_200740.thumb.png.41c877c97eddae0fb2cb40a7e929b43e.png
Try enabling MFAA in the Nvidia control panel.

Also, I don't think a faster CPU is going to help much if all you want to do is crank up the AA.