Hey, i really can't learn formation flying. It's so hard. But i don't want to be excluded from this activity.

I would love some easy formation flying mode where i just need to fly 300m close to flight lead, hit a key and then automagically stick to his wingtip and follow his maneuvers.

This will help my learning process a lot and teach me formation flying!

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A

I don't think such a mode is a good idea in a simulator, but there are plenty of people here that would happily teach you formation flying skills - it's not as hard as it first seems once you get some points remembered. I try and "think" the stick around.

Making large control movements never makes the situation better no matter how tempting it might be and this is where a lot of beginners struggle, making too big of control movements. Another tip is to keep a reference on your cockpit relative to a reference point on the plane you are following and try and keep it there. Small movements, relax your shoulders and grip and you'll get it.

Learn it the way everyone else did, it's far more rewarding than pressing some "easy mode" button and it will be far more enjoyable to do 🙂

Edited by Spooky32
  • Like 2

I can’t hit anything when I’m shooting! Can DCS have an aim assist?! My gunsight would just snap onto the target when I pull the trigger. 😜

• Haha 3

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Aim assist? Still asking too much. Maybe they can just periodically bump my kill count. I believe this will serve as positive reinforcement, encouraging me to keep ''trying'', kinda like a participation ribbon.

• Haha 2
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

1 hour ago, Desert Fox said:

This is baseball bat irony btw. Just before that thread goes out of hand 😄

A crutch is not a learning helper, it's a crutch. Nothing else.

Everybody please invest as much time in practicing coordinated flight (level flight: stay on heading, stay on altitude, stay on speed. Level turn: 30/45/60° bank, stay on altitude, stay on speed // etc.) as you invest in dropping JDAM form overburdened aircraft and success will arise quite soon.

• Thanks 1

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

1 minute ago, Desert Fox said:

A crutch is not a learning helper, it's a crutch. Nothing else.

The good news is that crutches can help with learning in all kinds of ways, so there is no real conflict or contradiction between those two.

• Haha 1
Just now, Tippis said:

The good news is that crutches can help with learning in all kinds of ways, so there is no real conflict or contradiction between those two.

Yeah, everybody knows: crutches help with learning how to walk. You use the crutch and 6 weeks later: *zap* you walk with no crutch! It's witchcraft!

2 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Yeah, everybody knows: crutches help with learning how to walk.

Perhaps not everybody, thankfully, but certainly those who have had to (re)learn it and where those crutches have been an important tool in the process.

2 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

You use the crutch and 6 weeks later: *zap* you walk with no crutch! It's witchcraft!

This may shock and surprise you, but no, that's not how learning anything actually works.

20 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Yeah, everybody knows: crutches help with learning how to walk. You use the crutch and 6 weeks later: *zap* you walk with no crutch! It's witchcraft!

I can't tell if you actually need help with formation flying, or are just messing around at this point lol

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Spooky32 said:

I can't tell if you actually need help with formation flying, or are just messing around at this point lol

He's just upset that the Easy Mode AAR thread didn't go well for him, so he made a duplicate to mock it instead. 😄

Unfortunately, Poe's law in in full effect.

Edited by Tippis
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Spooky32 said:

Little of column A, little of column B

• Like 1
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

13 minutes ago, Spooky32 said:

Nah, im good 🙂 Thanks tho for bringing some meaningful help up there nevertheless and i absolutely agree with you. Pretty much anything in DCS is about patience and putting in effort. Patience and effort. Nothing else.

The "better equipment" argument: give a 100.000$ violin to an ignorant punk and it will sound like a 50$ one at best. Give a 50$ violin to someone who put passion and effort into mastering that instrument and it will blow you away.

Even that silly "uh but the old/disabled people!!!!!!" strawman is... well... 😄 A good friend of mine was born with just one arm, his other is literally three fingers attached to his shoulder. Guess what: he always beat me on Tony Hawks on the Playstation (controller on his knee to work it with his disabled side), he was a better actual skater than me and he also got way more girls. He's never sad about anything, never saw him cry about something but he always pushes me further when i was about to give up on something.

There's simply two kind of people on earth: those who put in effort and get the best out of what they got no matter what and those who cry all day waiting for someone to give out participation medals.

There's so much help out there: tutorials, videos, people... just got to start practicing and don't give up. Virtually nothing is stopping anyone from learning formation flying or AAR but themselves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tippis said:

He's just upset that the Easy Mode AAR thread didn't go well for him, so he made a duplicate to mock it instead.

Actually i did not expect anything from that AAR thread (iteration four actually) except it going bonkers on page 1 and then having ED chime in after 13 or so pages of nonsense to tell there will be no silly crutches (as in the former threads about that very topic).

But whatever makes you happy...!

22 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Actually i did not expect anything from that AAR thread (iteration four actually) except it going bonkers on page 1 and then having ED chime in after 13 or so pages of nonsense to tell there will be no silly crutches (as in the former threads about that very topic).

But whatever makes you happy...!

And yet after four threads, a poll (which votes no) and ED telling people it ain’t happening... the thread continues! 🥺

• Like 1

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

33 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Actually i did not expect anything from that AAR thread (iteration four actually) except it going bonkers on page 1 and then having ED chime in after 13 or so pages of nonsense to tell there will be no silly crutches (as in the former threads about that very topic)

Too bad that it didn't really turn out that way, then.

I mean, that is the reason why you had to make this thread, after all. 😄'

It really is amazing how utterly scared stiff Sharpe is of any and all improvements to the game the way he attempts and fails to sabotage every thread discussing them.

Anyway, I shouldn't make fun. It's nice that you keep the discussion going in spite of all the massively failed attempts at shutting it down. The usual suspects will eventually have to try to shut this down as well since there is still no actual argument against the addition of these kinds of features. Even the ones that try to work against them always end up proving that they have a place, would benefit the game, and are wanted.

Edited by Tippis
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Hey, i really can't learn formation flying. It's so hard. But i don't want to be excluded from this activity.

I would love some easy formation flying mode where i just need to fly 300m close to flight lead, hit a key and then automagically stick to his wingtip and follow his maneuvers.

Thanks!

Have a look here, by far the best video on the subject:

TL;DR: don't use rudder - only ailerons and throttle, and keep the wings level with your leader. Rest is just practice.

• Thanks 2

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

And yet after four threads, a poll (which votes no) and ED telling people it ain’t happening... the thread continues! 🥺

Well... five actually. Because AAR literally is 100% formation flying and 0% anything else. Just on a different anchor point. Hence this thread 😛 Should have made the punchline easier to catch i think 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Well... five actually🙂

• Haha 1

This is as pathetic as watching Charlie Sheen with his “winning “ breakdown.  

• Haha 2

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.