Head Tracking Help

Hi All - after some advice/assistance if possible?

Complete novice/newbie with headtracking - and have just purchased DelanClip (awesome turnaround by the way - ordered Wednesday night - received Saturday morning) and have set the camera up and installed OpenTrack. 

Am now following this guide (A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack) - Hardware, Software and Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum) to calibrate and set curves etc, but also notice you can set curves within DCS.

Question is - what is the better way to set up for DCS, set the curves in OpenTrack, curves in DCS or a combination of both?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

I have the Delan clip, and I use OpenTrack with it. I don't use ANY curves in DCS. Didn't enten know I could.
Not on my computer know, but I will be happy to post my settings later.
I admit, that it was a little intimidating at first, fiddling with curves etc. Some use dead ones, I doubt think I do. But it all came together when I got used to it, and stopped bobbing my head around.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks for that @MAXsenna

So far tuned 'Yaw' - what I have noticed is that at max 'look back' the image flickers in game - as if I'm on the edge of what I can view - so not sure how to stop that happening?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

6 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I have the Delan clip, and I use OpenTrack with it. I don't use ANY curves in DCS. Didn't enten know I could. emoji6.png

OK - so stopped faffing with the OpenTrack curves. Reset them all back to default, re-calibrated the Delanclip and adjusted the curves in the axis tuning settings in DCS. 

Things seem to be ok(ish) - just need to fine tune/tweak it now, and re-learn how to land with tracking active🤦‍♂️!!!

This new forum is strange... The text disappeared.

Anyway, what I tried to write...

Sorry mate, completely forgot.
Don't remember how I ended up with these curves, but I guess I just tuned and tuned.
I used to have different profiles for different aircraft, but now I only use this one.

Cheers!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by MAXsenna
Missing text

I don't use opentrack/delanclip but trackir - but I can say that I always tuned my headtracking in the trackir-software and left the curves in dcs alone.

I think of it as calibration. You would/should always first calibrate your Joystick before adjusting curves in DCS. Same for headtracking.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hi @MAXsenna - many thanks for that - as a test will 'default' the in game settings and have a ganders at yours and see how it compares. 

@Hiob - completely agree - I would rather set the pre-game software and leave DCS all alone - but just seemed easier to tune DCS.

Next question - but what does the asymmetric tracking do compared with the top graph curve - are they just different views of the same thing?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Leg2ion said:

Next question - but what does the asymmetric tracking do compared with the top graph curve - are they just different views of the same thing?

All these headtracking axes have the zero value on its mid position .. for example the axis that corresponds to your head's "pitch", 0 would be looking straight ahead, and it can go 90º up or 90º down ... on this case you might want an asymetric curve, since looking up (for bandits) is very different from looking down, where you rarely hit straight down, instead looking to instruments and consoles.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi @MAXsenna - many thanks for that - as a test will 'default' the in game settings and have a ganders at yours and see how it compares. 

@Hiob - completely agree - I would rather set the pre-game software and leave DCS all alone - but just seemed easier to tune DCS.

Exactly like@Rudel_chw says.
I wanted a smoother motion to look down at my instruments, compared to looking out of the cockpit.

Oh my! Not sure how that translates into the curves seen above - what differentiates between looking down slowly and looking up quicker?

15 minutes ago, Leg2ion said:

Oh my! Not sure how that translates into the curves seen above - what differentiates between looking down slowly and looking up quicker?

You should really give a try to adjust the curves yourself .. all setups are different: we have different monitors sizes, different distance to the monitor, different tastes .. noting replaces your own raw experience, you can't just simply copy someone elses curves and hope they will be good for you. Here is an old video where I show the trial-error process of adjusting the headtracker curves:

I don't use the same headtracking software as you, but the concepts are the same ... try it, it isnt hard 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That would be pitch. But when I look at it now, it seems strange. The order of the screen shots got mixed up.
When I set it up first time years ago, I watched a Grim Reapers YT, and then took it from there.
As you can see, there are actually 6 axis. Hence six degrees of freedom. 6DoF.
Pitch, roll and yaw are like your stick/rudders. The xyz are forward/backwards, side to side, straight up/down.
The linear/non-linear curves I just happen to make after playing with it, until it felt natural for me, like I use my head while driving a car, sort of. Also the non-linear will help you look backwards without yawing your head to much.
Also pay attention to the different degrees, as they will determin "how far", the travel of movement can be. If that makes sense.
Cheers!

10 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

you can't just simply copy someone elses curves and hope they will be good for you. 

I don't use the same headtracking software as you, but the concepts are the same ... try it, it isnt hard 👍

Thanks @Rudel_chw. Understand individuals settings are, well, individual, and would fully expect to 'tweak' - but curious to see others input settings to see how things are affected. The curves created in DCS seem ideal, so (as an example) yaw movement can be tuned so angular movement is fairly slow moving across the instrument panel, but then increases as you move towards looking at the edge of the monitor - hence trying to figure out how this is recreated using Opentrack. I am guessing whereas OT has the centre position bottom left of the graph, DCS has its central position in the centre of the graphic - so thinking if I replicate the movement I see in DCS into something similar in OT, then reset the DCS curves I should get roughly the same movement.

• Like 1

Like all these fine posters said

There is no quick and easy model

Each setup is completely different

Just know what those numbers mean

kinda like joysticks you just have to tweak to your liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

2 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

There is no quick and easy model

As I am learning! So - defaulted/reset all DCS settings, and went into the OT settings. Wow - what a difference - a horrible difference!!! Very jerky/laggy. So - nulled everything, left OT on its defaults - set my original curves in DCS - smooth.