NEW: Universal VR shader

Sr.

Just a tip: You can create several different presets to try, then from that settings tab assign a hot key that will toggle through them to help determine which you like best.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

so I'm running the same as sharpness as @Sr. and @imacken and even I have turned the shaders mod off (80% SSS, VRS Sharpness 1., MSAAx 2)  ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yo ED... you guys should put this fholger guy on your Christmas card list. 😄

Wonder if he has a patreon or similar? I would happily donate to his cause for this.

Look forward to other add-ons.

https://github.com/fholger

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, imacken said:

OK, now I am impressed.  I turned the sharpness to 1.2 and that allowed me to reduce my SS from 100% to 80% and still look better!

The difference in clarity on the ground is amazing, as well as the FLIR and MAV displays.

ED must implement something like this in DCS.

That would certainly be very nice.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This shader is quite similar to lefuneste migoto mod, right? In comparison, anyone can tells which one hurts fps more?

EDIT: Lefuneste migoto shader is not so fps hungry (in dubay int F-16 take off, with migoto I have 12.6 MS. With reshade, 13.5 MS, it is a bit more heavy regarding system resources)

Edited by Gryzor

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

so I'm running the same as sharpness as @Sr. and @imacken and even I have turned the shaders mod off (80% SSS, VRS Sharpness 1., MSAAx 2)  ...

Tried disabling your Kegetys modded shaders mod, but the shimmering is noticeably worse with it disabled even with this reshade preset. I'm assuming you don't see the issue? I always test with F18 ready on the ramp at Caucasus, the lighting probably makes it worse than average too, which is why I use it.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I gave up on any Kegetys mod some time ago. It was doing nothing for me. MSAA is the only way of reducing shimmering IMO. 

As an aside, I always use the PG Ready on Ramp Hornet as my benchmark for shimmering. Just look around on the ground for a while then taxi to runway. After that, fly through the streets of the main urban area. 

It’s a great fps/frame time test too. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

18 minutes ago, imacken said:

I gave up on any Kegetys mod some time ago. It was doing nothing for me. MSAA is the only way of reducing shimmering IMO. 

As an aside, I always use the PG Ready on Ramp Hornet as my benchmark for shimmering. Just look around on the ground for a while then taxi to runway. After that, fly through the streets of the main urban area. 

It’s a great fps/frame time test too. 

Thanks @imacken I'll give it a go. Currently running 2x MSAA perhaps I'll try 4x with the mod disabled 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

4x?  I've never been that brave!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 minutes ago, imacken said:

4x?  I've never been that brave!

Just tried your suggestion and PG ror is a good test actually. Tbh I noticed no visible difference between the shimmering using 2x versus 4x. Frametimes were still around 14.7ms on the ground. I'll drop back to 2x

Hmm, what is your hardware?  Maybe think about putting it in your sig?

Yes, in my brief experiment with x4, I didn't see much difference either compared to x2.

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

Hmm, what is your hardware?  Maybe think about putting it in your sig?

Yes, in my brief experiment with x4, I didn't see much difference either compared to x2.

I shall, 10900K O/C 5.2, 3090, 64GB DDR4 3600

So oddly, with SOH's kegetys tweaked mod enabled the frametime was around 14.5-14.8 , however with it disabled and using either 2x or 4x MSAA it was up at 19.8, so the mod is definetely taking a load off somewhere. And the shimmering was noticeably worse with the mod disabled. In fact it was even more noticeable on the PG ROR due to the lighting I guess.

OK, that is not what I see. The shaders mod makes no difference to my frame times at all.  I'll give it another go to check though.

I know we're getting OT here, but what did you use to O/C your 10900K to 5.2?

10 minutes ago, imacken said:

OK, that is not what I see. The shaders mod makes no difference to my frame times at all.  I'll give it another go to check though.

I know we're getting OT here, but what did you use to O/C your 10900K to 5.2?

Strange, I am using SOH's MOD (with the TAZ fixes) and simplified canopy glass in the _HMD.hsl and there is a definite drop in frametime using the same settings, also less shimmering.

Re the O/C I did it manually in the BIOS it's very easy on the ASUS boards tbh. Using a Corsair H100i Capellix and I got reasonably lucky with the silicon lottery too.

Update: Just seen your sig, so you have a very similar setup running at 5.1. Did you do it manually?

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

I'll PM you on the O/C stuff so we don't clog this thread up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Tried disabling your Kegetys modded shaders mod, but the shimmering is noticeably worse with it disabled even with this reshade preset. I'm assuming you don't see the issue? I always test with F18 ready on the ramp at Caucasus, the lighting probably makes it worse than average too, which is why I use it.

I’m still playing with options at the moment, so no final analysis from me yet,  much of the improvements are quality related so very much in the eye of the beholder, also I have another project in flight (personal), which has a lot of my focus, so I’m only dipping in and out, I may post a picture or two when it’s done.

if you are aiming at 45 on my hardware, and you are if you turn on MSAA, the shaders mod only provides support for edge cases (like really low noe and inverted, and eyeballing trees... like when you crest a hill, or in approach to the super carrier), I want to judge (again note the subjective) how many of those edge cases come into play, before I make a final determination for myself.  

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

I'll PM you on the O/C stuff so we don't clog this thread up.

Sure 👍

4 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I’m still playing with options at the moment, so no final analysis from me yet,  much of the improvements are quality related so very much in the eye of the beholder, also I have another project in flight (personal), which has a lot of my focus, so I’m only dipping in and out, I may post a picture or two when it’s done.

if you are aiming at 45 on my hardware, and you are if you turn on MSAA, the shaders mod only provides support for edge cases (like really low noe and inverted, and eyeballing trees... like when you crest a hill, or in approach to the super carrier), I want to judge (again note the subjective) how many of those edge cases come into play, before I make a final determination for myself.  

Thanks SOH. I definetely see lower GPU frametimes with it enabled and a reduction in shimmering. I'll carry on testing , it's quite time consuming as obviously have to rebuild the shaders each time I disable/enable.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Sure 👍

Thanks SOH. I definetely see lower GPU frametimes with it enabled and a reduction in shimmering. I'll carry on testing , it's quite time consuming as obviously have to rebuild the shaders each time I disable/enable.

yep, thats the downside

• Like 1

@Sr. Thanks for letting us know about this. This is really awesome!

I've dialed back the color saturation and the overall contrast to 1, so I presume I just use the sharpening filter. In my usual benchmark (Viper "Ready on the ramp" in Caucasus) I notice about 0.8ms increase in frametimes. I've dialed back SteamVR SS to 90%, which more than compensates for the performance loss (on my rig and in that setting) and still leaves me with a better image overall.

It's really noticeable on high contrast areas/textures on medium to long distances. The Syrian terrain from +10,000 feet looks so much better now - especially the increased contrast and detail in the city areas. Great find!

Great work guys....many thanks to all involved.

Definitely adds something to DCS VR that was missing.

Personally I dont like the extra color saturation as cockpits become a bit gaudy

but the overall sharpening is brilliant.

Just now, aceviper said:

Great work guys....many thanks to all involved.

Definitely adds something to DCS VR that was missing.

Personally I dont like the extra color saturation as cockpits become a bit gaudy

but the overall sharpening is brilliant.

Now if ED could just check this out and find a way to improve their VR implementation to reflect the same increase in overall sharpening for VR would be awesome.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am tempted to try this, but with 2.7 coming out soon it will be a whole new ball of wax.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.