Sr.

41 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

Github version..

image.png

Nexus Version..

image.png

..assuming this is the link

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46999?tab=description

Yes, that's the correct link and file hierarchy. This should be the recommended download for anyone wanting to use CAS and color edits with DCS along with Performance mode by principle.

1 hour ago, javelina1 said:

Thanks Woona, did not know about the new, lighter version that fholger created.  I'm downloading it via Nexus, and will try it out later today.  thanks!

46 minutes ago, zildac said:

Thanks Woona this is useful info.

No problemo. I'll try to add these complete performance tables wherever it's relevant, hopefully it won't get too annoying or in-your-face. Just want to make sure we're starting off on a good and objective note for what's surely going to be a standard VR recommendation moving forward. Fholger's work is fantastic and deserves to be treated right, I feel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

As others have mentioned using a sharpening filter will make aliasing worse. That being said aliasing is no worse with the shader. But clarity is bette, colors are better. In general DCS is way better. And of you are running msaa 2x, maybe you can now. 

lol what you talking about ? I would rather use the shader for a little sharpening and mssa * 2. 

Edited by freehand

1 minute ago, freehand said:

lol what you talking about ? 

How the shader worked was explained previously, as to why it doesn't remove aliasing, and in fact can make it worse.

MSAA can remove some of the aliasing/shimmering. 

So by using the shader you improve your clarity, meaning you can turn down super sampling (the previous way it was done) which means more performance so you can use MSAA which at least for me doesn't seem as performance eating as the other forms of super sampling.

4 hours ago, pixie said:

The cockpit is indeed darker, because there is more contrast applied,  but you can turn the gamma up in DCS system setting so you can get some details back in the cockpit without removing the clarity

Yeah, the issue is that when upping the gamma, you can fix the pit, but then the terrain gets more washed out. I really wish I could have different settings for the pit vs the environment. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

How the shader worked was explained previously, as to why it doesn't remove aliasing, and in fact can make it worse.

MSAA can remove some of the aliasing/shimmering. 

So by using the shader you improve your clarity, meaning you can turn down super sampling (the previous way it was done) which means more performance so you can use MSAA which at least for me doesn't seem as performance eating as the other forms of super sampling.

Well that is what I said.

I've just tried that Nexus version, it runs ok in 2D but DCS crashes on start up for me in VR

The only difference I could see on the NEXUS version in 2D on the home key was an additional parameter to define the effect's radius with a default of 0.5.

I was using OvGME so easily backed it out and applied the original which is working fine again

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

12 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

I've just tried that Nexus version, it runs ok in 2D but DCS crashes on start up for me in VR

The only difference I could see on the NEXUS version in 2D on the home key was an additional parameter to define the effect's radius with a default of 0.5.

I was using OvGME so easily backed it out and applied the original which is working fine again

You need to use the dxgi.dll from the original archive, it's a known issue at present. Also ensure you either make the following change in the ReShadePreset.ini OR use the check box at the bottom of the GUI menu (HOME key) to do the same thing, otherwise the sharpening will look pants. Remember that if you change the ini file in the DCS bin directory OR use the UI if you disable the mod and reenable it the change will be overwritten. Personally I would disable the mod, make the change in the OvGME mod folder version of the file and then you should be good.

PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx
TechniqueSorting=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx

[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=0.999000
CASContrast=0.700000
Contrast=1.001000
MaxDelta=0.100000
Saturation=1.100000
Sharpening=1.700000
SharpeningRadius=0.500000
SingleImage=0

Edited by zildac
  • Like 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, freehand said:

So regarding the talk about the performance mode e.t.c does any of the above improve from the op first post ? which we all started on. 

Precisely what I am wondering!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

11 minutes ago, freehand said:

So regarding the talk about the performance mode e.t.c does any of the above improve from the op first post ? which we all started on. 

I've noticed no difference personally with the sharpening radius addition or enabling or disabling performance mode. However, if your setup is struggling already then it won't hurt. It's also worth bearing in mind as I said earlier that for the DCS use case it's light anyway. It's one shader/preset and it's nowhere near as intensive as some of the other ReShade presets that you would typically be able to use in other games. Just try it, it's a simple enable/disable operation and you can draw your own conclusions.

I'm more interested in why the version of the dxgi.dll that comes with the later archive crashes DCS, I'm assuming it was updated for a reason and the reason is probably support of further "VR ready" presets, if so it would be good to get to the bottom of it.

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, DaWu said:

yeah it looks better but then everything is shimmering. and I cant cope with that shimmering unfurtonately. so had to deinstall it again

Any MSAA?

2 minutes ago, zildac said:

Any MSAA?

I tried with max settings and steam SS 300 and still too much for me. I already pretty maxed out on settings as I have a 3090 but I prefer a smooth picture apparently over a sharp one. even though I usually turn off all filters in 2d games the first time I start them. 

I tried with max settings and steam SS 300 and still too much for me. I already pretty maxed out on settings as I have a 3090 but I prefer a smooth picture apparently over a sharp one. even though I usually turn off all filters in 2d games the first time I start them. 
Wow. OK, fair enough.

7 minutes ago, DaWu said:

300% in SteamVR SS?  I guess you're not running a G2!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, zildac said:

You need to use the dxgi.dll from the original archive, it's a known issue at present. Also ensure you either make the following change in the ReShadePreset.ini OR use the check box at the bottom of the GUI menu (HOME key) to do the same thing, otherwise the sharpening will look pants. Remember that if you change the ini file in the DCS bin directory OR use the UI if you disable the mod and reenable it the change will be overwritten. Personally I would disable the mod, make the change in the OvGME mod folder version of the file and then you should be good.

PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx
TechniqueSorting=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx

[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=0.999000
CASContrast=0.700000
Contrast=1.001000
MaxDelta=0.100000
Saturation=1.100000
Sharpening=1.700000
SharpeningRadius=0.500000
SingleImage=0

Ah right, thanks. Think I'll stick with the original for just now. Just flown for an hour and it's sooo good. Time for one more before dinner 😉

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

It's certainly made the visuals better for my game. The difference to the medium & distance objects was noticeable (as others have also mentioned). This is especially noticeable when turning it on and off (using the 'END' key). No performance issue while connected to an MP server with 14 users (Liberation mission).

• Like 1

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

8 minutes ago, DaWu said:

index. 45 fps in MP

Ah, OK. Not the 5500x5400 pixels that would have been on the G2!  I'd like to see that being smooth!

Ah, OK. Not the 5500x5400 pixels that would have been on the G2!  I'd like to see that being smooth!
:-)

12 minutes ago, imacken said:

We would all like for that to be smooth... And it will be in about 10 years time 😉

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Ok thia thread is getting confusing and is already pretty long.  

@Sr. or @zildac would you not have the 1st post kept up to date with the latest install + settings (I like the preset.ini as I can't access the GUI in DCS) so that people know what is the current download / files to have and suggested settings? 

So far I tried the basic version with some sharpening but fail to be impressed... DCS has a haze for a reason...it kinda looks like that in real life 🙂

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

12 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

@Sr. or @zildac would you not have the 1st post kept up to date with the latest install + settings (I like the preset.ini as I can't access the GUI in DCS) so that people know what is the current download / files to have and suggested settings? 

So far I tried the basic version with some sharpening but fail to be impressed... DCS has a haze for a reason...it kinda looks like that in real life 🙂

Yup you're right, and it's probably a good idea. I don't have the time to write up a "How to" right now, but it would be worthwhile. I guess it grew, and most people who had an interest were keeping reasonably up to date with the topic and the findings/changes as they happened. Something like @speed-of-heat 3090 G2 post would be useful for those interested I guess.

In regard to the haze, if you're talking about atmospheric haze then look at @Mustang 256 Shader mod.

55 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

I have the fholger version linked on my first post on the topic. So far it's the only one I've had time to mess with.

https://github.com/fholger/reshade/releases/tag/openvr_alpha2

He responded back to me on Reddit with another version, but I have yet to try it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46999

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark