Debating on returning Quest 2 but need some input

bullterrierlvr

I purchase an Oculus Quest 2 to see what VR would be like in DCS and also purchased the Huey as I love helicopters.  I have been using it for almost 30 days and have a couple of days to decide whether to return it.  My problem is I only have a 1070 video card so while the game is playable, I know the graphic are not close to what they should be.  That is why I did not order the G2 because of the lack of a graphics card and the G2 seemed to be having some issues.

My question is how good are the graphics of the Quest 2 with a 3080 which is the card I want to buy but have no idea when I will be able to get one.  Oculus is also talking about a Pro and 3 version and I assume at this time the G2 is working out issues and others are coming out with better stuff.  I have only found a couple of stand alone games I like for the Quest so the stand alone part isn't important.  My main focus is playing DCS.

So looking for advice from those that own the Quest 2 and/or Reverb G2.  Is the Quest 2 good for quality graphics with a 3080 to keep until I can acquire one or should I return it and when I manage to get a 3080, see what is available at that time?

Thanks

Graphics are not what they should be? The resolution of the Quest is not going to change, you can tweak with pixel density but the gain is still limited. You can also bring up the PD right now, and see how the game looks like. Just don't expect frame rates or stutter free experience, but even on pause in the cockpit you should see what to expect.

Now I don't have G2, I have the second release Reverb, which has been a very good headset for me. Before that I had Samsung Odyssey+ and I can say coming from Odyssey+ that I had the feeling that my VR performance actually improved with Reverb. The explanation is really simple. I had a pretty high PD on Odyssey+ and now with Reverb, I use none. I have 1080ti, so I can't speak about 1070. I am holding back getting a G2, as there is only marginal gain and I expect that there could be again a second updated release once HP again sorts their headset out.

Edited by Jyge

Thanks.  That is what I am trying to determine if image is as good at it will get.  I have set the Quest 2 at highest resolution and 90 hz and it still doesn't look as good as I would expect.  Not that good at all actually so I was guessing it was just the 1070 card being limited.  At those settings it does have a very low frame rate and stutters.  Do others using the Quest 2 have good results with it?

Mine is working fine in DCS except that I can't get the framerate to be as good as that from my Valve Index (and I run my Index using 222% STEAM VR supersampling for optimal image quality), but perhaps I'm not very proficient with the Oculus system (mostly used by my kids).  You'll need a much more powerful GPU than the 1070 to enjoy good VR graphics.  IMHO, DCS in VR isn't enjoyable unless MSSA and shadows are on.  MSSA gets rid of the jaggies especially on the runways or buildings, and shadows just make the whole world become alive rather than simple 3D polygonal objects.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Thanks Supmua!  That helped a lot.  The jagged edges is part of what I was noticing that I thought was poor but didn't know how to correct it.  I have no clue when I will be able to obtain the video card I want and being I bought this exclusively for DCS, I think I will return it for now and see what is available when I finally land the graphics card I want.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1070 as well, 32 Go of RAM  and a Ryzen5 3600 cpu . VR headset is Quest2

I have good results running DCS F/A18 in VR with the moded shaders found in one of the topic of this forum.

There is another trick found on Youtube for smoothing the frame rate : set Oculus Tray Tool to force 30hz ASW, there is also a 1070 preset to activate in Rift Link tab.

The pixel density is set to 1.0 in DCS and most of the settings are on medium low. MSSA is on 2x, and shadows on low/flat

My oculus apps is set on recommended/auto  settings and it shows 72Hz

I think this is the best I can achieve with a 1070, but it's really playable ans smooth.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pixie
  • Like 1

The performance in VR is frustrating me too, in VR I tend to run textures on high and MSAA off to try and get 45fps, in flat screen I can run in 4K with everything on ultra and MSAA x 4 and still get 80fps, it looks soo much better and is more playable on flat. I think maybe in 5 more years headset,  graphics cards and DCS itself will be at a point where they compete visual with flat graphics on the same PC hardware.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey