F-14A top speed with loadout? Can't even reach Mach 1

bkthunder

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's accurate, but I just took an F-14A to 38k feet and couldn't get past Mach 1 in full A/B.

Loadout:

4x Ph, 2x AIM-7, 2x AIM-9 and 2x tanks

Standard DCS day and weather. 

By comparison, in the F-14B (same scenario) I reached M1.7, and in the F-15 M 1.8

Seems a little strange that the A model is so under-performing, am I missing something?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I’ve had the “A” up to 1.8 with little difficulty, with bags, winders and two big boys.

There seems to be a lot of people having issues with winding up the 14, but I can’t see why to be honest.

:dunno:

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

6 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

There is a bug currently where there is way too little thrust / too much drag from 30k feet and higher. Try the same at 26k feet and you'll see.

Now it makes more sense... has it been reported?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

19 minutes ago, G.J.S said:

I’ve had the “A” up to 1.8 with little difficulty, with bags, winders and two big boys.

There seems to be a lot of people having issues with winding up the 14, but I can’t see why to be honest.

:dunno:

At what altitude? You can do 1.2 on the deck or 1.6 at medium altitudes no problem. There is simply a drag/thrust bug higher up.

Was the low 30’s.

Can’t remember the exact weather setup other than it was cold at low alt, with a low ambient pressure, so would be Baltic up above cons.
Took a little while to get to that speed (somewhere around 60 ish miles?), before it got somewhat asthmatic but it would have got higher had I persisted (I had overhauled the target at that point).

It was something akin to the U-2 cruise climb - as you get lighter you attain a slight climb.

Its not a one off thing - I can get there repeatedly even at ISA defaults.
That’s why I don’t understand why others struggle. The “B”? No problems, that thing just keeps going, but I prefer the “A”. 

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

FWIW, while testing something else using the current Open Beta release, I had a look at this F14A-P414A configuration-

All runs included two tanks at 30,000 MSL.

2/2/4, max velocity was 1.22 IMN stagnant.

2/2/2  1.65 IMN very, very slow acceleration.

2/2/empty rails, 1.8 but still slowly accelerating.

There is Ps Chart data for the 2/2/2 Tanks config that shows Mmax at 30K at 1.56 IMN. The sim is slightly faster than the charted value.

Referencing the OP's post, at ~38K it shows 1.75 IMN. Interesting at how much those two aft AIM54's affect total drag.

Max velocity in the 2/2/2 plus tanks config at 1G occurs at ~37,000 at ~1.82.

The issue is known and is in work.

Edited by Victory205
  • Thanks 6

Viewpoints are my own.

13 hours ago, CarbonFox said:

There was a switch the RIO could flip that would enable the TF30s to produce greater thrust at high altitudes correct?

Not a switch, not at high alt but...

Mid Compression Bypass Circuit Breaker

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252101-dcs-f-14-development-update-enter-the-a/

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria