? on Cranking

dbunger

I'm following the Grim Reapers video on Cranking. I'm in the F-18 and using the Aim 120C. I'm flying out to the bad guys, my RDR is in RWS 4 Bar 80 deg. I lock the bandit up at about 30-40nm. All conditions are meet?, same altitude, head-on closing fast. When I get to the proper distance(25nm)and Crank, I suppose to keep him 60-70 degrees off my nose but I lose lock. It can be done because it shows it in the vid. so I must be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thx

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

I usually loss lock around 30 degrees. Here's the video showing this pilot keeping lock well past 60 degrees.

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

Keep in mind that you might need to maneuver to prevent the bandit from getting inside your radar's notch, which is something that can happen at that stage, if the bandit turns defensive. I watched the video and the bandit is defending horribly.

And, well, I suggest you use better reference material, you don't need to watch a 21 minute video to just learn about cranking. There are several threads and even real manuals floating online with actual explanation of the maneuvers and the physics behind them. I can't post the link, but google "rokaf manual f-16" and it'll be the first result. It's for the F-16, but the relevant concepts inside apply to every aircraft with active missiles.

• Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

14 hours ago, dbunger said:

I usually loss lock around 30 degrees.

Are you sure that you have actually locked him? TDC depress in RWS mode, if LTWS is enabled, just designates a target, but does not lock it. Second TDC depress puts it to STT lock.

Better yet, try using TWS mode and make sure that AUTO is selected, so radar will automatically center on L&S.

Thx, I'll give that a try today!

On 3/28/2021 at 7:35 AM, dbunger said:

my RDR is in RWS 4 Bar 80 deg.

That’s your problem right there. You are only scanning 40° either side of your nose, so as soon as your locked target moves beyond this, you’ll lose the lock.

Basically you have 3 options if you want to crank to the limits, ie 50-70°. Widen the RWS scan to 140°. Secondly you could switch to TWS with auto scan centering selected. In this mode it will automatically shift the scan volume to ensure the locked target remains illuminated. Lastly, you can go STT.

Personally I’d probably shift to TWS, but all the above solutions are viable options.