Allow client slots to display as static units

FoxTwo

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this. Having all unused player aircraft (SP and MP) to show up as "empty" aircraft just sitting on the aprons/hangars would really bring some life to the airbases.  It wouldn't look so barren with for example single aircraft in Kobuleti when I have placed every single aircraft I own in the mission editor to their respective slots.

Could this please be looked at? I would prefer not using mods if I don't have to

Edited by Vakarian

Scripts are not mods. Having scripts in a mission requires nothing to use it.

Scripts interact with DCS scripting engine the same way as if you click a button in mission editor.

It's just that mission editor can't have ten thousands of buttons, that's why scripts.

@Vakarian

You do realize that the same applies to your Mission Editor triggers, right? Mission Editor is basically an interface that outputs a bunch of scripts.

If you fail to specify valid conditions for your ME triggers, you'll encounter the same problems, because it's all based on scripts. 

Now, as I see it, you have only a few options here:

- Wait for ED to implement client replacements (I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you)

- Waste hours of your time adding replacements and setting up triggers, just so you have to do it all over again every time you change something or create a new mission

- Use SWAPR (which I wrote specifically to make life easier for users like you, making the process highly automatic)

- Get used to empty bases

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 1

I do realize it. Didn't mean to bash your work, it's just that I really don't like to use things I didn't make myself for a very simple reason.

If something is broken, I can blame only myself or post a bug to ED. When using 3rd party mods, I have to juggle EDs internal mechanisms, my ideas and what the 3rd party mod creator meant with its mod, and I don't like doing that. Simple as that. No bashing, disrespecting or anything from me.

I'm already used to empty bases so there's no lack of patience from me.

• Thanks 1

@Vakarian

I took no offense, it's just that the claim "scripts break stuff" is flawed and misleading. 

Also, you insist on calling it a mod, but it's a script that uses DCS scripting functions, just like Mission Editor does.

It doesn't add or change anything in DCS, simply runs a routine that automatically spawns and removes replacements for the clients that you choose, using the same scripting functions that the game uses.  

Finally, you say you're used to empty bases and that you have no lack of patience, but you're bumping a wish list thread for a feature that ED is unlikely to implement (threads like this one are usually ignored, let's be honest, specially when there's only a handful of people requesting the feature).

I don't know, it looks kind of hail Mary-ish to me, that's why I recommend SWAPR, but if you are set in your ways, I won't insist.

I'm the same way regarding other people's scripts, btw. 

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 2