If sombody asks for a Fusion360 compatible MS33558 font, here we go!

It´s now fully functional and extrusionable in fusion360.

Happy easter!!

Thx Derek Higgs for the original font!

Thx to all the homecockpit builders for their contribution and sharing their ideas.

Regards

Hsssonic

MS33558ver0.1.ttf

• Like 2
vor 28 Minuten schrieb Wisky:

your a lifesaver

having to make all the text in inkscape and then add them as extrusion in fusion 360 always made this so bothersome 🙈

Can you fill the letters appropriately ?

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

1st rig: i5 6600k@4.3 GHz~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro ~32 GB DDR-4 3000 Rip-Jaws V~ Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + 840 EVO 240GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB HDD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ 43" Samsung UHD QLED TV ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel ~ ARC-210 (WIP)

2nd rig: Ryz 5 2600@4.1 GHz, GTX970, 16GB DDR4@3200, X52pro, PS3cam w/ DELAN clip, 24"displ, Samsung 250 SSD Win10 64bit

Am 28.3.2021 um 12:11 schrieb sharkfin61:

Can you fill the letters appropriately ?

if your talking about the letters i inserted from inkscape i always have problems with the letter ‚D‘

Yes, Whisky, what you said, A, B, D, R were the candidates. (4.5mm height).

But I might mix my thoughts up between my CNC end bit engraving experiences and the ones from laser engraving.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

1st rig: i5 6600k@4.3 GHz~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro ~32 GB DDR-4 3000 Rip-Jaws V~ Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + 840 EVO 240GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB HDD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ 43" Samsung UHD QLED TV ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel ~ ARC-210 (WIP)

2nd rig: Ryz 5 2600@4.1 GHz, GTX970, 16GB DDR4@3200, X52pro, PS3cam w/ DELAN clip, 24"displ, Samsung 250 SSD Win10 64bit

Works fine on NX, thanks. I remember having trouble in Autodesk Inventor with the original version. Some letters would not behave. I haven't tested the original version in NX but I bet it would have the same problems in every CAD

Edit: spoke too soon! Even though I did a successful extrusion with letters A-Z and numbers 0-9 and it worked great, now I'm trying to make an F-16 Master Caution indicator, the S and C fails to extrude. Also the kerning is problematic, M and A in MASTER overlap slightly

Edited by Nikolas_A
Posted (edited)

Next iteration... Kerning is quite challenging, but for every solved problem i do learn something new...

Every letter should be extrudeable. If there are still some kerning issues, maybe place single letters and place them right, or feel fre to edit the font. I used the free software fontforge.

ExtrudeTest.png

MS33558ver3.ttf

Edited by hsssonic
  • Like 1

How was this process completed?

Let's say you stumbled across a couple of real world F/A-18 panels, and then used a 600mm telephoto lens to take an orthographic image, and had a very patient wife who created a font based on size-calibrated images.  BUT, then had the same issue with the font software and could only display, rather than cut in CAD.

IMG_5797.jpg

@jcagle

I opened the font in fontforge, corrected all inconsistencies (deleted the overlaps, added missing extremas, converted all points to integers) to be a real ttf then reencoded it, validated and "resaved" it as truetypefont.

There is still some kerning missing, but thats an different more timeconsuming issue.

Damn! I don't know how it can work in one instance and fail in another! I can fix it by projecting the text on a new sketch and filling the gaps there, but I can't understand how it can work some times...

ms33558.png

On 3/31/2021 at 4:25 AM, hsssonic said:

Next iteration... Kerning is quite challenging, but for every solved problem i do learn something new...

Every letter should be extrudeable. If there are still some kerning issues, maybe place single letters and place them right, or feel fre to edit the font. I used the free software fontforge.

ExtrudeTest.png

MS33558ver3.ttf 11.35 kB · 17 downloads

Nice work. They look good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, hsssonic said:

@jcagle

I opened the font in fontforge, corrected all inconsistencies (deleted the overlaps, added missing extremas, converted all points to integers) to be a real ttf then reencoded it, validated and "resaved" it as truetypefont.

There is still some kerning missing, but thats an different more timeconsuming issue.

Great, thanks for the advice! Have a working font set with reasonable (major) spacing, but as you noted, could put more time into kerning.

SNSR.png