Mi-24 Facing the reality.

BioZ

7 hours ago, AlphaOneSix said:

I'm still trying to find a credible source that says that this is true. There are so many differences between the cartridges (and belt) that I just don't see how this is possible. Every time I search for it online I just see examples of people saying that it's a false claim.

Yeah, I can't see those two ammos being near the same.

11 hours ago, BioZ said:

Just a quick off topic: Wasn't it cancelled and only just simple textured updates will take place?

It's coming.  Confirmed by both Chiz on the Russian forums, and Wags on a Youtube post from the last podcast.

As of now, it will be released after the Apache.  So, I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 3WA said:

As of now, it will be released after the Apache.  So, I guess we'll see what happens.

It starts to feel that everything gets reordered to be lined behind the Apache release. If the Mi-24P would get to be pushed behind the Apache release - I would call a treason 😛

It is already annoying to perform any "familiarization" with the Mi-8 for the combat operations in DCS as it should be so different to Mi-24P flight characteristics that they can't be really compared.

Maybe at the moment the BS2 is closest for the speed and maneuverability for rocket runs and fixed gun run, but so many pilot has said that Mi-24P has the fixed wing characteristics that you just point it and it flies that direction, that it might be a shock to finally get to fly it. 

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, one good thing that will come with the Apache is improved FLIR rendering in DCS.
From a business and technology standpoint I understand why ED prioritize Apache over updated Ka-50.
It might slip away even further as MIG-29 is in the pipe and there is always a WWII module being worked on.
But thats ok, a full fidelity Fulcrum ain't too shabby... 😎

18 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Have you tried to dive at 60 degree dive in F-15 from 800 meters at 450 knots while trying to aim and shoot a fast turning helicopter on the ground?

It does not end well.... 

Why would I be this low and this fast at that dive angle in DCS? You are taking this way too seriously, all I am implying is that a top down attack is perfectly valid against helicopters, in both an arcade game like BF4, and a sim like DCS... You are acting like BF4 is some fantasy game that is completely disconnected from reality. Obviously I couldn't use magic as a tactic in a game or sim that doesn't have magic. But all I am implying is that position matters, and positioning is just as valid and important in BF4 as it is DCS. Also you conveniently left out from your excerpt (that you never sourced) that the fighter is only vulnerable if it drops down to the chopper's altitude. Why would anyone do this and put themselves in the choppers WEZ? 

This conversation has already derailed the thread enough and if you don't understand my point now you never will so I am going to leave it at that. 

Btw the pilot in that youtube video you linked is bad if he is using missiles rather than the gun to take out a helicopter with the stealth jet in BF4.

• Like 4

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

9 hours ago, 3WA said:

It's coming.  Confirmed by both Chiz on the Russian forums, and Wags on a Youtube post from the last podcast.

This is great news. Im not sure but i think i heard about it too here: 

5 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

But thats ok, a full fidelity Fulcrum ain't too shabby... 😎

Totally, would be another dream come true. I love the Fulcrum and I say this as a Helo pilot...

8 hours ago, Fri13 said:

It is already annoying to perform any "familiarization" with the Mi-8 for the combat operations in DCS as it should be so different to Mi-24P flight characteristics that they can't be really compared.

I think I can agree with this one. I was learning the Hip in order to be better prepared for the Mi-24P, but after doing a bit of digging i came to realize that learning the Hind will be a totally different experience. So yeah, comparing those too is not really a thing. I mean they of course share some similarities, but they are different afterall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Scar said:

I mean they of course share some similarities, but they are different afterall. 

I see the greatest benefit/advantage/help from the Mi-8 is to learn the various panels looks and functions. As then it makes easier to be familiar with the Mi-24P panels when you recognize the panel itself.

As well learning the systems use order can come handy, as the logic might be there as well.

The few characteristics like how engines behave or how they sound can be helpful too.

But for flying it might be just two things that help, to be prepared which direction main rotor rotates and if coming from a UH-1H then that how much heavier and larger relative speaking it is.

X

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, Jazz said:

In the hind walk-around vid the owner of the hind said the Russians designed the gun so that it could take american rounds if needed.

This old wives tale again? That's not how guns work, generally speaking. There's a lot more to it than the diameter of the round. Being able to chamber a round does not mean it will cycle, won't damage the gun, or won't blow up and kill you.

Not sure how credible that is

It's not. At all.

for a source but personally I think he knows his stuff since he owns one lol 

I would say safely he has not operated, or likely even seen the weapon systems on it, which means he has no idea what he's talking about. And since he was repeating known wives tales, he probably also didn't spend much time studying them.

The video about the Hind and MiG-23 both are both very interesting and informative, but they also have a lot of utter garbage in them, a lot of which can be dispelled with minimal effort or in some cases actually looking at the things in question. Example MiG-23 intakes were not copied from the F-4. You can easily see this by... looking at them.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 5

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• ED Team

thread derailed and closed. 

stick to the topic of the thread please in future

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Mi-24 Facing the reality.