Question on TWS?

dburne

So I am flying a mission in a campaign ( Rising Squall) that is a good mission for using TWS mode.

Lot of incoming enemy air targets.

I have been struggling using TWS mode in this mission so I was just reviewing  Wags video on TWS.

This screenshot was taken from Wags video. 

As you can see in the screenshot, it has identified targets and they are numbered.

However I never see this when I am using TWS in the Hornet. I typically just see red icons. I play around with target elevation and that does not seem to make a difference. And I typically can not tell if it is friend or foe until relatively close to my aircraft.

Are you guys that are using TWS seeing like the example below?  I have never seen my TWS page look like this. I am still fairly new to the Hornet and learning, this though I don't quite understand.

XQZ6HLD.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So what we are seeing in Wags' are several Neutral or Ambiguous Tracks being shown on the Attack page. The tracks will remain this yellow staple/box shape until something or someone IDs them as either friend or hostile. 

What you are seeing sounds like what happens when there is an AWACS in theatre, who will ID the tracks for you. This will make them all show as Red Triangles or Diamonds.

Radar elevation you want to set so that the number on top of the TDC is higher than the targets altitude, and the number on the bottom is lower than the targets altitude.

If you aren't seeing numbered red tracks, then maybe attach a screenshot of your problem so we can better evaluate.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

12 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

So what we are seeing in Wags' are several Neutral or Ambiguous Tracks being shown on the Attack page. The tracks will remain this yellow staple/box shape until something or someone IDs them as either friend or hostile. 

What you are seeing sounds like what happens when there is an AWACS in theatre, who will ID the tracks for you. This will make them all show as Red Triangles or Diamonds.

Radar elevation you want to set so that the number on top of the TDC is higher than the targets altitude, and the number on the bottom is lower than the targets altitude.

If you aren't seeing numbered red tracks, then maybe attach a screenshot of your problem so we can better evaluate.

Yes there is an AWACS in this particular mission.

Thanks much for that and also the tip on target elevation - that I did not know.

I flew the mission again and used TWS mode in auto and had better luck this time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The other piece that goes along with this (and is confusing when you're learning the radar) is that when you hover the TDC cursor over a contact on the radar, if it DOES NOT show target speed/altitude then that is a datalink target from another source (usually AWACS, could be other friendly fighters) and IS NOT a contact that your radar is seeing.  If it doesn't show the speed/altitude start playing with the radar elevation or PRF (which seems to have more effect since recent updates IMHO) to get your radar to pick it up.  If it's only a datalink contact you won't be able to STT it (need to get your radar to see it 1st).

6 minutes ago, rob10 said:

The other piece that goes along with this (and is confusing when you're learning the radar) is that when you hover the TDC cursor over a contact on the radar, if it DOES NOT show target speed/altitude then that is a datalink target from another source (usually AWACS, could be other friendly fighters) and IS NOT a contact that your radar is seeing.  If it doesn't show the speed/altitude start playing with the radar elevation or PRF (which seems to have more effect since recent updates IMHO) to get your radar to pick it up.  If it's only a datalink contact you won't be able to STT it (need to get your radar to see it 1st).

Caution, this info may soon become outdated. The current implementation of MSI in hornet is lacking, and should hopefully be fixed soon.

A track is a track, the MC doesnt much care where it comes from.

• Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

6 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Caution, this info may soon become outdated. The current implementation of MSI in hornet is lacking, and should hopefully be fixed soon.

A track is a track, the MC doesnt much care where it comes from.

That's one unfortunate effect of EA.  Things change over time and old posts will end up remaining with info that's no longer relevant or is now wrong.  Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Great thanks much guys!

Don B