Should I be worried about the pilots in the Hind

Rogue Trooper

Generally, ED creates the worst pilot models in DCS, for VR these are really important parts of the pits reality..

For WWII ED has weird alien figures with extremely long arms/ fore arms that are impossibly long so that they reach the throttles or joy stick.

Most of the time there are no pilot bodies what so ever, the F-16 pilot would would be a superb pilot body, laid back in his seat and knees up real high to help fight the G.... but no... nothing... empty pit..... I would love to see my 16 pilot.

For us growing VR users,

Do we need to start worrying about ED's pilots.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Sorry for OT regarding your question, but...

6 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

For us growing VR users,

Do we need to start worrying about ED's pilots.

I get your point and that is completley legitimate, just saying that i have a different opinion. I'm a VR user and a pilot body is/would be the first thing i would disable. I don't understand how i pilot body increases immersion, for me it's just a pain in the a$$. The arms are just blocking the view on switches....and on the contrary to RL i can't move them out of the way(glued to HOTAS), just annoying.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Never understood what's so difficult in giving the player the OPTION to have the pilot body or not. Everyone is happy. 

It just doesn't make any sense how some modules have the pilot and some don't. As early as 15 years ago (or so) when black shark was released, it had a pilot body, but then the A-10 still doens't have a pilot to this day! Some consistency would be nice. 

• Like 4

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I fly exclusively in VR and I like ED Hornet's pilot, i liked A-10 and Ka-50 as well or even old FC3 Su-27.

It doesn't have to be of great quality to increase the immersion for me. For me high quality pilot is nice but mediocre quality is still way better than empty cockpit.

• Like 1

As a non VR, just got a big screen, I was glad to see the pilot body....until I realised I could'nt see the switches, the Gazelle panel was all obscured, Sorry mate, your fired. As long as I can see a figure, when I take a look alongside, I would not inflict my face on him, he's got enough trouble's with me driving. Odd how it doesn't work out the way you would have liked. IMHO 

• Like 1

Looking down and seeing an empty cockpit is not natural and in my opinion as unrealistic as any unfinished or buggy system of the aircraft itself. Most of the switches which are hidden by the pilot body are used during startup - so... i just switch it off during the startup and then back on. Not a big deal.

I think i said it already in another thread: i wonder how many people who are using the cockpitview during 99% of the entire flight and don't care about an empty cockpit would start to complain about an empty cockpit in the external view even though they are using this for not more than 1% of the flight.

I understand everyone who doesn't like it and switches it off but to be honest: better having one with the option to switch it on or off (even by default) than don't having one at all.

Because if you don't like it but you have one - switch it off. If you like it but you don't have one..... there's nothing you can do.

If we would have a pilot body, everybody could be happy.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Gizmo03
  • Thanks 1

Pulling a chopper in sideways and onto an object, looking down over your VR shoulders as you approach is just superb..... not a must for jet guys but totally awesome for chopper guys. 

Looking down through the chin blister bubble to observe a landing spot and seeing your legs and little feet working the pedals?!? ..... no?

For all choppers and jets/WWII I always have a button to disable and enable my pilots body when I need to man handle switches that are not on my Hotas or extended/limited pit. 

not enough time in the Harrier I guess.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, bkthunder said:

Never understood what's so difficult in giving the player the OPTION to have the pilot body or not. Everyone is happy. 

It just doesn't make any sense how some modules have the pilot and some don't. As early as 15 years ago (or so) when black shark was released, it had a pilot body, but then the A-10 still doens't have a pilot to this day! Some consistency would be nice. 

Exactly, it does not hurt to have choice and then once we have choice the quality should be awesome.

I bet ED's A-10II pilot will be the sweetest ever.... a module I own by the way.... Ahem! 🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper

On 3/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rogue Trooper said:

Most of the time there are no pilot bodies what so ever, the F-16 pilot would would be a superb pilot body, laid back in his seat and knees up real high to help fight the G.... but no... nothing... empty pit..... I would love to see my 16 pilot.

Unless you're in a similar position, it's not really that immersive, nothing matches up. The whole appeal is it ''feels like it's you'', unless it's not remotely similar to what you're doing in which case it's just a distraction. I immediately notice any ''desync'', like me using an extended center stick while the F-16 is a little one on the right.

In general the body is neat for joyriding, but in actual usage it has to be turned off anyway. Startup? It's definitely blocking switches. In combat? Probably blocking switches.  Landing? Probably blocking switches.

In real life you can move your arms and legs out of the way. In the game you can't and they are 100% in the way. Yes, they add a small amount of ''fun'' especially as part of a VR demonstration. But unless it's a joyride, I would say safely 99% of people turn it off before they get to business to avoid any time wasted when it invariably... gets in the way.

To be clear, I am generally supportive of it being there as an option, but it's also frivolous, impractical, and kind of a waste of resources when it really boils down to it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 3/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, bkthunder said:

It’s not difficult, and if people really don’t want it they can disable it in the menu options so they don’t even have to toggle it. There are many and I mean many people who fly VR and really want it added you only have to look at posts on other forums as well to see. Nick Grey even admitted in an interview that it is something that the community wants to see more of, but unfortunately it seems to be something that is not so easy to develop and takes time. But when others hope that it doesn’t get done because they don’t want it when it means a lot to people and really it makes no difference to them because you can just have it turned off. Well I don’t understand that. 

Edited by westr
  • Like 2

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 3/27/2021 at 9:33 AM, unknown said:

and on the contrary to RL i can't move them out of the way

Yes you can: you can disable them in the options menu altogether, and in-game you can toggle the pilot body on and off on the fly.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes you can: you can disable them in the options menu altogether, and in-game you can toggle the pilot body on and off on the fly.

That's not quite the same thing 😉 It also necessitates assigning a HOTAS button somewhere to ''disappearing my annoying body'' instead of something more useful 😃

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I don't get your point here - ie i don't understand your post in relation to the quote. Sorry, english is not my first language, could you please explain in more detail so i can understand what you meant?

Just to be clear and i hope or hoped my post above is/was clear. The point i answered to was VR = pilot body is a must or its crap/immersion breaking(my interpretation, that wasn't the exact wording by @Rogue Trooper). I answered telling my opinion and that i'm fine with his opinion. I hope that was clear/understandable in my first answer. If you want that feature have fun with it, i use VR and i will not use it(never did in any module 2d or VR).

I find  the pilot bodys in VR annoying/distracting because of the limitations it has, they don't add anything for me in terms of immersion. Coming back to the point that i don't quite understand your post @Raven (Elysian Angel)how is a blocking view pilot body -> quick disable pilot body/enable it after switching/checking panel be immersive? For me that breaks the immersion more than having no pilot model in the cockpit. If technology is that far at some point that your RL body movement(arms/legs) can be replicated in the game - my arm blocks the view -> move RL arm out of the way and game arm will follow - then i will gladly enable this feature. But until it is that time i'm happy that peaople have the choice in DCS to enable/disable this feature to their own liking!

🍻

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I am all for a virtual body in the cockpit. I never had an issue of the body getting in the way when the fights on. I always take great care to assign all the necessary controls to my WH for fight time. So the pilot body goes only off when starting up and when setting up for landing.

Would really love it if my VR self would grab the handrail in the Hornet or Tomcat during cat launch!

• Like 3

Exactly this. It’s really easy to assign necessary switches, switches that are  blocked by the VR pilot and that you need to access quickly, to the hotas warthog. In combat those switches would just be accessed by muscle memory anyway and you would switch them without even looking down. If there is something that’s not so important to access in a hurry you can quickly toggle the VR pilot off then back on again once you’ve clicked it. It works perfectly for me. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 3/30/2021 at 2:49 AM, Mars Exulte said:

Unless you're in a similar position, it's not really that immersive, nothing matches up. The whole appeal is it ''feels like it's you'', unless it's not remotely similar to what you're doing in which case it's just a distraction. I immediately notice any ''desync'', like me using an extended center stick while the F-16 is a little one on the right.

In general the body is neat for joyriding, but in actual usage it has to be turned off anyway. Startup? It's definitely blocking switches. In combat? Probably blocking switches.  Landing? Probably blocking switches.

In real life you can move your arms and legs out of the way. In the game you can't and they are 100% in the way. Yes, they add a small amount of ''fun'' especially as part of a VR demonstration. But unless it's a joyride, I would say safely 99% of people turn it off before they get to business to avoid any time wasted when it invariably... gets in the way.

To be clear, I am generally supportive of it being there as an option, but it's also frivolous, impractical, and kind of a waste of resources when it really boils down to it.

I can easily lean over my VR pilots legs to see and access pretty much everything on my left, right or rear. I have a Sim pit button to remove the pilot body in a split second if need be.... but I just don't seem to use it that often. The only exception is WWII planes..... but with WWII planes, every thing is on my true Hotas with plenty of buttons spare.... WWII rarely touches my extended sim pit.

I think if I exclusively flew jets and planes all the time then I may possibly agree with you, but the Harrier just proves me right here to.

If I did not use a VR head set, then I would definitely agree with you. 

I mostly fly choppers, here, my VR body is always in my line of sight during the majority of flight regimes.

The Harrier, M 2000 and F14 further reinforce my belief that I am correct.

I really like VR bodies in the pit, but I understand and respect your opinion. 

What we start now will be awesome in the future. You and I will probably be dead and gone before true VR finally comes to true fruition.... but  I would like a taste of the drug I am pushing!

Edited by Rogue Trooper