S-5 rockets

NeedzWD40

I'm certain it's come up before, but I haven't seen it mentioned specifically yet:

I'd like to see the S-5 rockets and UB-32 launchers available with the Mi-24P. I realize that these are not used by the Russian Air Force today, but the weapon is prevalent in historical conflicts so it'd be nice to have the option when simulating historical scenarios.

• Like 4

I am not really sure why you would want S-5 rockets as they were rubbish in real live :

"S-5 rockets were used extensively by Sukhoi Su-25 and Mil Mi-24 aircraft in Afghanistan in the 1980s, where their effectiveness was considered poor. Pilots described the rockets fanning out after launch "like a tulip", and that the warhead was only good for "tickling the dookhi's (mujahedeen) heels". The Russian forces have shifted to higher-calibre weapons like the S-8 rocket instead."

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/S-5_rocket

And they are even worse in DCS where fragmentation effects are not even properly modeled.

• Like 2

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

On 3/27/2021 at 3:30 PM, jib said:

I am not really sure why you would want S-5 rockets as they were rubbish in real live :

"S-5 rockets were used extensively by Sukhoi Su-25 and Mil Mi-24 aircraft in Afghanistan in the 1980s, where their effectiveness was considered poor. Pilots described the rockets fanning out after launch "like a tulip", and that the warhead was only good for "tickling the dookhi's (mujahedeen) heels". The Russian forces have shifted to higher-calibre weapons like the S-8 rocket instead."

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/S-5_rocket

And they are even worse in DCS where fragmentation effects are not even properly modeled.

The text says they would be part of the correct load out. I hope we get the fragmentation effect fixed.  

• Like 1

Well, the problem is DCS doesn't model fragmentation at all - what it does do is essentially boost the warhead 'power' which should be the explosive mass of the warhead (presumably as kgs of TNT equivalent) though in DCS, this number is usually the total warhead mass. 

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:30 PM, jib said:

Don't much care how effective or ineffective they were in real life; I like to expand my horizons and simulate times where the best tier gear wasn't always available or used. Same reason why we might use the F-14A over the F-14B, the AGM-62 over a JSOW, and so on. Makes for a different challenge as well as hitting historical points.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:50 PM, Lucas_From_Hell said:

The developers have said the S-5, S-8, S-13 and S-24 will be available.

Excellent! Is there a source for this? Current information here indicates the S-5 isn't going to be part of the package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

Excellent! Is there a source for this? Current information here indicates the S-5 isn't going to be part of the package.

It was mentioned in PilotMi8's livestream interview a few months back, but you're right - it doesn't show up in the product page any more. It might be the same case as the Mi-8MTV2, where that variant came after the S-8 had become the standard rocket so the S-5 wasn't integrated with the weapons system. We'll find out when it releases, I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And it's marked as completed.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.